Range of the 20 most popular EVs in winter

Cars, buses, bicycles, electric airplanes: all electric transportation that exist. Conversion, engines and electric drives for transport ...
Christophe

Re: Autonomy of the 20 most popular EVs in winter

by Christophe » 10/02/20, 09:23

Forhorse wrote:
Christophe wrote:
In short, I don't see why the journalists did not deactivate the heating, especially if some models do not have a heat pump ...

You must have been driving in winter in a car without heating for a long time ... : Mrgreen:

Yes but no : Cheesy: The subject is just to take an honest test!

Additional testimonials from EV drivers on this subject show that heating is a very important factor! We find the 20% ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/02/20, 09:38

ENERC wrote:Batteries lose capacity with temperature. See curve on page 7 here: https://www.ineltro.ch/media/downloads/ ... d92915.pdf . The battery pack voltage is lower in cold weather.

The question is not there: one does not deny that the temperatures influence the batteries ... moreover as on the performances of a thermal engine!

The question is to know what is the part of the heating and what is the part of the ambient temperature in the drop in performance!

ENERC wrote:On the other hand, the external temperature does not play immediately because the temperature of the batteries takes a long time to change (at least 12 hours). With a few hundred kg and a reduced surface, that is understandable. (in addition 50% of the surface is in contact with the interior of the vehicle)

Between 15 ° C and 0 ° C I see a good 10% loss if the car stays cold for 24 hours. If it's just a morning jelly, it's almost numb. By cons if it is also cold during the day, then it shows well. But it concerns few days a year.

This is another interesting parameter to take into account (which was obviously not taken into account in the journalists' test ...)
0 x
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by ENERC » 10/02/20, 13:15

The question is to know what is the part of the heating and what is the part of the ambient temperature in the drop in performance!

The car draws 3 kW for a few minutes, it heats up quickly and immediately (unlike a thermal which takes a few minutes to heat its engine block), then stabilizes around 500 W when it is very cold.

To be compared to the 150 W of the on-board computer and the front daytime running lights.
The ODB indicates at worst a loss of autonomy of 6 km per 100 km.

We often just ride with the heated seats which consume in the 40 W each. That is enough except when it is very cold (and I ride without a sweater, without gloves and in a t-shirt).

The most penalizing thing is the chemistry of the batteries which reduces autonomy at low temperatures.
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 10/02/20, 19:28

I live in the north of France, and on an ion, if you do a little bit of road, that is to say more than 50-60 km on a single trip, you cannot turn on the heating to have it. what 20 °, and the end "of the didis" freezes well !!!!

The heated seat is sufficient when it's about ten degrees, below, you "quail" !!!!

With the zoé, no bp, with the cap, you heat to 20-21 °, without too much loss.

On the other hand, I do not entirely agree with you, if I come home at 22 p.m. and pick up the car at 6 a.m. and it has frozen, I will lose my autonomy.

I am going to look for some screenshots that I had made with "canion" on the ion, of the tp of the batteries .... it still takes much more than 10 km for them to resume a little tp .. .
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock: