Hay, it's urgent!

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Véronique
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Hay, it's urgent!

by Véronique » 24/01/20, 12:41

Hello,

novice (my first vegetable garden dates from last summer), I go out amazed at the reading of the lazy vegetable garden. And already the anxiety takes me: very happy to have ordered my organic hay that I'm going to look for earlier, I read that it would have been more judicious to spread it at the end of November, but hey .. .we are at the end of january. So, should I get started or not?

Véronique
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: hay, it's urgent!

by phil53 » 24/01/20, 16:30

You can start, the error of beginners is not to put thick enough. 15cm packed at least.
If the grass is tall it may be mown before putting the hay.
In the first year, it is best to plant seedlings.
This is only an opinion, if you want to try the seedlings go there!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/01/20, 18:28

We must not sink into the obsession with the calendar, because everything depends on the characteristics of the cold season: this year, with a rainy and mild autumn, a mild start to winter, there was no urgency ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Véronique
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Véronique » 25/01/20, 14:59

Very nice, these answers! It's true, when you start, you are very afraid of doing wrong. Thanks for your advices.

Luckily, last year my tomatoes caught "disease" at the very end of the season. I had sprayed them at the beginning of the season with decoctions of garlic, not knowing what else to do to avoid Bordeaux mixture. Do you have something that works?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 25/01/20, 16:29

The only "trick", which is not one, is to avoid prolonged humidity on the leaves: mildew spores cannot develop without this ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Hay, it's urgent!

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 27/01/20, 19:43

Véronique wrote:Hello,

novice (my first vegetable garden dates from last summer), I go out amazed at the reading of the lazy vegetable garden. And already the anxiety takes me: very happy to have ordered my organic hay that I'm going to look for earlier, I read that it would have been more judicious to spread it at the end of November, but hey .. .we are at the end of january. So, should I get started or not?

Véronique

Hello

You can go.

The only thing to watch out for is to keep this hay moist.

So water it even if you don't plant or sow anything there if the weather isn't rainy enough.

And as others have said, don't skimp on thickness.
0 x
Véronique
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Hay, it's urgent!

by Véronique » 28/01/20, 13:55

Thank you for your answers! Spread hay, heavy rain today, everything is fine! : Cheesy:
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"