Seedling soil?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Sowing soil?

by Did67 » 18/08/19, 10:57

sicetaitsimple wrote:
There are still freaks capable of wanting to bring 40kg of sand from Sardinia! For once (see article), it will really make them a memory!
https://www.ladepeche.fr/2019/08/18/deu ... 365700.php

Well. Since this is serious, but there is a prescription, I am going to confess that I have in my living room a "goldfish bowl" with authentic sand from the Sahara! In memory of a tour in southern Saharan almost forty years ago ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 18/08/19, 11:10

Did67 wrote:The earth is not only sand, hence probably this difference in appreciation. Fine sand is poor. It's just for easy drainage. But don't overdo it.

But conversely, 50%, depending on the soil, it can be a bit "heavy" for those with clay soils.

However, it will work in all cases. Simply, at the margin, there will be some annoying effects: too poor mixture, too mineral or on the contrary, too heavy, compact.

Be wary of ready-made recipes. Even if they are popular on the internet.

Prefer to experiment.

What is needed is a "mineral / OM" mixture, and for this mixture to be very draining. Ideally seed free. But in my mind, sterilization is abuse. If we certainly destroy some possible parasites (fungi of "damping off" genus Pythium for example), we also destroy the good ones, including mycorrhizal fungi.
It is true that the soil of Sikana is almost peat, very black and lumpy, it shows in their video of the double digging.
I prefer to successfully sow my seedlings with a sterile soil and repot in garden soil with 2 or 3 leaves : Wink:
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 18/08/19, 11:46

Did67 wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:
There are still freaks capable of wanting to bring 40kg of sand from Sardinia! For once (see article), it will really make them a memory!
https://www.ladepeche.fr/2019/08/18/deu ... 365700.php

Well. Since this is serious, but there is a prescription, I am going to confess that I have in my living room a "goldfish bowl" with authentic sand from the Sahara! In memory of a tour in southern Saharan almost forty years ago ...

between bringing back a souvenir and crossing the border with and in Sardinia there is a sacred difference
the northern beaches with their km of sand is not the same
sure to bring 40kg of sand from the island of Porquerolles would not come to my mind either
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 06/10/19, 11:09

after discussion with my horticulturalist, a track to dig
the pros use brown peat and the potting soils are with blonde peat
another point the pros have lifted on a hot table

blonde peat not yet found in garden centers, I'm looking for

the heating plate I had already envisaged, to make the sowing in cold greenhouse or chassis, therefore to follow
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"