BRF or not BRF? That's the question ...

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

BRF or not BRF? That's the question ...

by Carl » 28/02/18, 20:04

Hello everybody

I wanted to know your opinion on this proposal: https://www.leboncoin.fr/jardinage/1347 ... htm?ca=6_s
"stock of chipped wood from dry poplars, available of course, without any chemical treatment"

Can we consider this as BRF or not?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and tips on finding BRF
0 x
Adept of laziness and sensitive to the quality of what my family consumes, I wish to make a vegetable garden of the lazy!
Bardal
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: BRF or not BRF? That's the question ...

by Bardal » 28/02/18, 20:55

No, it is not BRF in the classic sense of the term, which concerns young wood, of small diameter, and of a chemical composition a little different from that of "mature" wood.

That said, it is not necessarily without interest ...

The BRF is made from hedge trimmings, fruit trees, brushcutting, all things quite easy to find; on the other hand, you have to have a serious and robust grinder ...

Do not expect miracles from this BRF, which has some drawbacks (including that of causing "nitrogen hunger" in vegetables), but it is interesting in mulching near trees and shrubs, and can be of use to soils undernourished and "leached" (in a few years, it reconstitutes its humus.

Watch out for some worshipers of the BRF, who are a little too inclined to adorn their idol with all the magic virtues, which he does not have ...
In my humble (very humble) opinion, when you have adequate waste, you should use it, rather than take it to the dump or burn, but spend a lot to find me seems lost energy ; there are other free manures more effective ...
2 x
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Carl » 28/02/18, 21:30

Thank you for your return bardal.
The idea is to find the right mulch for strawberries, raspberries, mulberries, artichokes, etc ...

Is this ad better?
https://www.leboncoin.fr/jardinage/1379 ... htm?ca=6_s

After I can also supplement / mix with lawn mowing to enrich with nitrogen
0 x
Adept of laziness and sensitive to the quality of what my family consumes, I wish to make a vegetable garden of the lazy!
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 28/02/18, 22:06

The BRF has disadvantages if it is misused, like anything ...
As said above, the first announcement is not really interesting, as for the second, the mash of essences such as birch or willow is of poor quality; oak and hazel are much preferable. However, these secondary species are not to be rejected as far as they are at hand.
The right solution for having BRF at your discretion is to get a crusher worthy of the name: its own production of pruned wood, to which will be added the contributions of the neighbors too happy to get rid cheaply, constitutes an abundant source of supply.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Carl » 01/03/18, 19:53

I confess to being a little lost by your answers blow .... in fact, I can not have a grinder and I do not have available shrub or hedge to do it by myself.

So my question is: what is the best mulch for my strawberries, raspberries, etc ...

1. One of the Boncoin BRFs above
2. One of the boncoin BRFs above + Lawn mowing input
3. Hay simply ...

Thanks in advance for enlightening me
0 x
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Carl » 02/03/18, 19:13

An idea, a tip?
0 x
Bardal
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bardal » 02/03/18, 19:43

Not easy to answer, only experience can bring you one, or answers, especially since the plants you quote have quite different needs.

Hay, I eliminate despite its qualities (see "lazy" son), at home, it costs more than wheat ...

Let's say that with your shredded willow, birch, oak ... at twenty euro the m3, plus grass clippings, you will face all situations ...

But you have so many sources of humus-compost free or almost free that I do not know if you choose the right way.

There is, in bulk:

- the soil from the dump (I had a little decomposed 1 € the m3, 10 € so well decomposed)
- the manure of the horse clubs (1 bottle of Beaujolais for several trailers)
- Vegetable canning waste
- vegetable waste from neighbors (hedge trimming and others)
- dead leaves in autumn (accumulate in piles under the plane trees, for example)
- lawn mowing waste, given by landscapers to anyone who wants it

etc ... etc ... the price, it's true, a little work ...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 02/03/18, 21:30

At the risk of being bawled again, I admit to agree with Bardal.
Bitch because I had to write something like "the best biomass is the one that costs nothing", and that got me a volley of green wood (very good BRF in the making!) From Didier.
After, we must specify: 20cm BRF it is useless, 20cm grass clippings is a horror.Il must adapt.
"Juggling" with the inputs available for free or with a low input in work seems interesting to me, even if the hay I agree is certainly a must.
0 x
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Carl » 02/03/18, 22:48

Thank you for these two returns, they allow me to refine my own opinion and (without being disrespectful) to understand before anything else: nothing will replace its own experimentation with respect to the experience of others (nature and nature). the environment being so diverse, so different from one place to another, that we must know how to draw inspiration from others to guide our own experiments, but that the most important, remains the result of these)
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 27/08/19, 11:43

Written by Benoit Noel:
Many market gardeners consider that they need humus
between 5 and 10% to properly conduct their activity. Indeed, gardening is very demanding for the soil:
greenhouses, cultural interventions during all the periods of the year, double cultures, ...

Outside, a simple and effective method is to value the mulch effect first. The principle is spread over a rotation
of 3 years:
- in the first year, bring a layer of 3 cm, 300 m3 / ha of BRF this layer is used in mulch for
protect crops to be transplanted (limitation of water and weed requirements): squash, salads, cabbages, ..
- at the end of the first year, the BRF is incorporated with the crop residues. The reorganization of nitrogen will limit
then strongly the weeds;
- in the spring, we will plant a crop to be sown. Fertilization will be doubled on the following two crops and
brought on the sowing line, to favor the crop and not the weeds.
Simple method outside
If the contribution of 300 m3 is renewed every three years on the same
parcel, this system will result in a stabilization of the humus rate around
10%,
Le link may not be accessible to everyone, I'm downloading.
Attachments
BRF sheet.pdf
(2.46 million) Downloaded times 657
0 x