Fukushima Daiichi: the situation (one year) after (ASN and IRSN)

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Sylvester spiritus
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Fukushima Daiichi: the situation (one year) after (ASN and IRSN)

by Sylvester spiritus » 18/04/19, 17:43

bardal wrote:if you do not understand that the radiation risk depends totally on the dose received (not only during accidents)

I'm sorry Bardal but what you say here is False.

The radiation risk also depends on the state of the immune system and on this point we are all different.
Likewise, a healthy and serene individual will not have the same immune response as a tired and stressed subject.
Resume the studies made after Chernobyl on animal mutations at high, medium and low dose: natural selection plays hard.

Now, unlike wild animals which generally have a good level of antioxidants and a normal rhythm of life, most Westerners are already in a state of oxidative stress (industrial food, hectic pace of life, stress, etc ... ). there is only to look at the evolution of cancers in our modern societies.
Prolonged exposure, even at low rates, will have a definite negative impact on the future of these people.
It may only be really visible in the long term, but we cannot say that it is harmless.
0 x
"The ignorant thinks they know everything, the scholar thinks he doesn't know anything ..." Lao Tseu
Bardal
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bardal » 18/04/19, 19:30

No one, and especially not me, will deny the importance of personal factors in the occurrence of an illness…

But either you have an interesting study on this subject (and not your only personal opinion or that of Pierre Paul or Jacques) and I am ready to read it, or you have nothing consistent, and it is irrelevant… Except to want to confuse any rational approach with vague and obscuring considerations.

On the effects of the various levels of radioactivity, there are mountains of studies, the subject becoming better known and mastered.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 18/04/19, 19:32

Sylvestre spiritus wrote:
bardal wrote:if you do not understand that the radiation risk depends totally on the dose received (not only during accidents)
I'm sorry Bardal but what you say here is False.
It remains a question of dose and the sensitivity to risk seems more linked to age https://wedocs.unep.org/bitstream/handl ... dg.pdf.pdf
0 x
Sylvester spiritus
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Sylvester spiritus » 18/04/19, 21:08

Good.

The study I am talking about already dates back some fifteen years.
She had also been relayed by a program on Arte; some may remember?
In short, she compared the wild animals whose skeleton was stuffed with Cesium137 and which nevertheless seemed to be doing well in the case of swallows which migrators paid a heavy price (decimated at + 70%) with a lot of deformities and stillbirths.
the most plausible explanation was that these migratory animals arriving from a long exhausting journey had a low level of antioxidants and that they were taking the full force of the radiation.
If you have time, you will certainly find it ...

Now there is no more blind than one who does not want to see!

Since then, and under the weight of the nuclear lobby, we have sought to minimize the consequences so as not to panic the pilgrims ...
You quote from UN reports but let me remind you of these words:
"Nine million adults and more than two million children are suffering from the consequences of Chernobyl, and the tragedy has only just begun," said Kofi Annan, secretary general of the United Nations in 1995.

How honestly can you defend the safety of radiation?

If that's not enough, find out about the thousands of kids with thyroid cancer in Russia and around the Chernobyl area.
And this is just the tip of the iceberg ...
0 x
"The ignorant thinks they know everything, the scholar thinks he doesn't know anything ..." Lao Tseu
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 18/04/19, 22:39

Sylvestre spiritus wrote:the most plausible explanation
If you are content with these kinds of statements : roll: Precisely, nothing convincing and must compare what is comparable, because in this case it was the prohibited area where the doses received were immeasurable. Educate yourself properly and stop seeing lobbies everywhere ...

On the effects of cesium 137:
IRSN set up in 2005 the Evaluation of Pathologies Potentially Induced by Chronic CEsium Contamination (EPICE) program with a view to collecting scientific information on the non-cancerous effects induced by chronic exposure to low doses of ionizing radiation and to answer a societal question relating to the health consequences of the Chernobyl nuclear accident in a sensitive population (children) ....

All of these examinations made it possible to diagnose 2 children suffering from cardiac arrhythmias. After an in-depth statistical analysis of the data collected in the field, over the period 526-2009, the prevalence of cardiac arrhythmias estimated in the contaminated areas is significantly lower than in the uncontaminated areas. With regard to the body burden of cesium 2013, no association could be identified. Cesium 137 is therefore not a factor associated with the observation of cardiac arrhythmia in the context of the EPICE study.
https://www.irsn.fr/fr/connaissances/in ... Lja0-gzaCh
Sylvestre spiritus wrote:"Nine million adults and more than two million children are suffering from the consequences of Chernobyl, and the tragedy has only just begun"
How many deaths?
In the weeks after the accident, of the 600 workers and members of the rescue teams present on the site, 237 people were hospitalized. In particular, 134 workers were victims of acute radiation syndrome, including 28 died within four months of the accident. Then, between 1987 and 2006, 19 other contributors died sequelae of their syndrome, including 10 before 1997, 4 before 2000 and 5 until 2006.
The balance of acute effects due to irradiation has changed little in recent years. https://www.irsn.fr/fr/connaissances/in ... Lja0-gzaCh
0 x
Sylvester spiritus
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Sylvester spiritus » 18/04/19, 23:52

izentrop wrote:
Sylvestre spiritus wrote:the most plausible explanation
If you are content with these kinds of statements : roll: Precisely, nothing convincing and must compare what is comparable, because in this case it was the prohibited area where the doses received were immeasurable. Educate yourself properly and stop seeing lobbies everywhere ...

Fortunately I had clarified: "In short ... : roll: "

No need to go further; I hope that the few who read you will not be fooled ...

One last thing:
Take the time to calculate the area of ​​offices dedicated to lobbying located in the immediate vicinity of the European Parliament, the UN headquarters and all the decision-making centers of the different states.
You will have a much better view of how the world works ...

Hello
0 x
Bardal
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bardal » 19/04/19, 04:43

Sylvestre spiritus wrote:Good.

The study I am talking about already dates back some fifteen years.
She had also been relayed by a program on Arte; some may remember?
In short, she compared the wild animals whose skeleton was stuffed with Cesium137 and which nevertheless seemed to be doing well in the case of swallows which migrators paid a heavy price (decimated at + 70%) with a lot of deformities and stillbirths.
the most plausible explanation was that these migratory animals arriving from a long exhausting journey had a low level of antioxidants and that they were taking the full force of the radiation.
If you have time, you will certainly find it ...

Now there is no more blind than one who does not want to see!

Since then, and under the weight of the nuclear lobby, we have sought to minimize the consequences so as not to panic the pilgrims ...
You quote from UN reports but let me remind you of these words:
"Nine million adults and more than two million children are suffering from the consequences of Chernobyl, and the tragedy has only just begun," said Kofi Annan, secretary general of the United Nations in 1995.

How honestly can you defend the safety of radiation?

If that's not enough, find out about the thousands of kids with thyroid cancer in Russia and around the Chernobyl area.
And this is just the tip of the iceberg ...

Ooh there, an epidemiology study conducted by ARTE? You're kidding, I hope… ARTE is reputed to be a chain invested and infused by German Grunden, having no scientific expertise (this is not its role, by the way), and capable of relaying any fantasy , especially on nuclear. It is the prototype of an engaged lobby, not of a scientific reference…

At the international level, the reference in terms of pathologies, it is not the secretary general (who has no competence on this subject, and this is not his role), it is the World Organization Health (WHO), made up of recognized international experts; in terms of studies on the effects of radioactivity, it is UNSCEAR, the equivalent of the IPCC, in matters of nuclear risks ( http://www.unscear.org/docs/revV1407898 ... _F_ENG.pdf ) which refers to. These two organizations have published several studies and analyzes, both on Fukushima and for Chernobyl, analyzes which are in flagrant contradiction with what ARTE says. In Chernobyl in particular, it is clear today that the flora and fauna are doing much better than before, due to the disappearance of the first predator, man. And the very real effect of radiation in certain areas has not translated at all into disappearances of species or the appearance of monstrous strains. Yet scientific studies have been numerous ...

Let us be clear, it is not for anyone to deny the dangerousness of radioactivity; it is only a question of studying this radioactivity from a scientific and rational point of view, without playing to be afraid at the mere mention of its name. Radioactivity is a natural phenomenon, at the source of the existence of the universe; we are all exposed to it, permanently, at more or less low dose, and its effects on the human being are known today; some exposures are fatal in the short term (just over 50 dead in Chernobyl, 0 in Fukushima and Three Miles Island), others are harmful in the medium and long term, others, most of them, are completely insignificant. So let's stop mixing everything up and inventing dangers when they don't exist. In Fukushima, the dangerous doses were only reached in certain places of the power station itself (which remain dangerous), the evacuated territory not having exceeded the doses usually encountered in the natural environment. Only the releases of cesium and iodine could have deleterious effects, studied and closely monitored elsewhere ...

So get out of your period nightmares of childhood and fears of the bogeyman and therefore become a little adult; we can very well live without that, it's even more interesting.
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 19/04/19, 17:57

Since the discussion seems to be launched, I would like to clarify something in these discussions on the dangerousness of nuclear power. It seems that there are 2 types of impact to differentiate: the effects of excessive doses, and the effects of low doses. The latter are more complex to assess for various reasons and in particular because of the long-term influence.

But if we stay with the lethal aspect more or less immediate, the institutions which seem to be the only reliable scientific sources of certain defenders of nuclear power (I am not at all of this opinion but for the moment let us content ourselves with that), namely the IAEA, WHO, UN and UNSCEAR wrote in their press release of September 5, 2005 that the number of deaths caused by the exposure to the radioactive fallout from the Chernobyl disaster would reach the total figure of 4000. This total consists of:

50 workers who died from acute radiation syndrome in 1986 or from other causes in the following years;
de 9 children who died of thyroid cancer;
and an estimate of 3.940 people who could die from cancers contracted as a result of radiation exposure
pr_chernobyl_forum_050905.pdf
(1.42 million) Downloaded times 297

So if I am content with sources legitimized as the only valid by some, scientific experts recognize that the atom has been responsible for deaths and fatal cancers of the thyroid in children.

Which means :
1) that it is possible to give scientifically as the origin of cancer, exposure to radiation, contrary to what some claim.
2) that children died in Chernobyl, because of cancers contracted following exposure to radiation, contrary to what some claim.

Regarding the impact on animals and plants, the press release speaks of an increase in mortality among conifers, soil fauna and mammals in an area of ​​20 to 30km around the power plant.
0 x
Bardal
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bardal » 19/04/19, 22:07

to be chafoin wrote:Since the discussion seems to be launched, I would like to clarify something in these discussions on the dangerousness of nuclear power. It seems that there are 2 types of impact to differentiate: the effects of excessive doses, and the effects of low doses. The latter are more complex to assess for various reasons and in particular because of the long-term influence.

But if we stay with the lethal aspect more or less immediate, the institutions which seem to be the only reliable scientific sources of certain defenders of nuclear power (I am not at all of this opinion but for the moment let us content ourselves with that), namely the IAEA, WHO, UN and UNSCEAR wrote in their press release of September 5, 2005 that the number of deaths caused by the exposure to the radioactive fallout from the Chernobyl disaster would reach the total figure of 4000. This total consists of:

50 workers who died from acute radiation syndrome in 1986 or from other causes in the following years;
de 9 children who died of thyroid cancer;
and an estimate of 3.940 people who could die from cancers contracted as a result of radiation exposure
pr_chernobyl_forum_050905.pdf

So if I am content with sources legitimized as the only valid by some, scientific experts recognize that the atom has been responsible for deaths and fatal cancers of the thyroid in children.

Which means :
1) that it is possible to give scientifically as the origin of cancer, exposure to radiation, contrary to what some claim.
2) that children died in Chernobyl, because of cancers contracted following exposure to radiation, contrary to what some claim.

Regarding the impact on animals and plants, the press release speaks of an increase in mortality among conifers, soil fauna and mammals in an area of ​​20 to 30km around the power plant.

Thank you chafoin for returning to a more convivial tone and rational speech. We need it…

In the field of radiotoxicity and the health effects of radioactivity, knowledge has grown enormously in recent decades, following the experience acquired during the three major accidents in the nuclear industry. It is essentially the WHO and UNSCEAR (organizations dependent on the UN, but not the UN) which have capitalized on the results of numerous studies carried out around the world. At the time of Chernobyl, knowledge on the effects of moderate but prolonged doses was known only by the studies consecutive with Hiroshima and Nagasaki, whose conditions of exposure (very intense brief flash engaging only small quantities of radioactive material (a few kilos)) were very different from those of Chernobyl (moderate but prolonged radioactivity, high amounts of radioactive material).

WHO and UNSCAER therefore produced an assessment report in 2005 (revised in 2016) which achieved consensus in the scientific community, while being contested by anti-nuclear organizations. This report quantified the number of deaths directly linked to the radioactivity released by the disaster at 59 deaths (including 15 deaths due to thyroid cancer), a figure revised in 2017 (62) and estimated, based on knowledge at the time ( therefore including the rule "linear without threshold") the number of long-term deaths of the order of 4000 (it was therefore not a measure, but a probability calculated from measured radioactive exposures and hypothetical laws). Epidemiological studies after 2005 did not confirm these forecasts of 4000, even showing paradoxical effects of lower incidence of cancers (except for a slight increase in leukemia) in exposed populations, in particular "liquidators". ; the study included 3 cases of death linked to the disaster ("deaths attributable" reliably "to the radiation produced by the accident") and pointed to a "psycho-social" pathology linked to the evacuation. Paradoxically, the people who had refused the evacuation or had returned very quickly appeared to be in better health than the evacuees.

The same organizations also published a study after Fukushima (faster because reliable data were available, unlike Chernobyl, considerably simplifying the investigation work). The conclusions are readily available on Wiki: “UNSCEAR found that the exposure of the Japanese population was low, with the consequence of low risks of health effects due to radiation later in life. This finding is consistent with the conclusions of the WHO report on health risk assessment. UNSCEAR had more data available after the period taken into account by WHO, which enabled it to make more precise estimates of doses and associated risks. ”

We will point out that:
- most of the proven Chernobyl deaths are not due to cancer (but to acute irradiation syndromes and skin lesions), with the exception of thyroid cancers, due to iodine 131, including etiology is well known.
- it is not possible, with certain exceptions, to determine the exact origin of cancer outside of epidemiological studies, which only provide collective estimates (precise, however); at the individual level, there is only one probability of risk.
- the various estimates (including those of anti-nuk organizations), in both cases, do not come from substantiated studies, but from summary calculations based on figures of people who are questionable, and based on hypotheses long since abandoned.

More generally, the risks associated with radioactivity are nowadays more and more precisely known; the risks linked to an intense but brief exposure are known (unfortunately) from Hiroshima (it was, unfortunately, one of the motivations for this bombardment) and are available on the internet; it is they who are at the origin of the rule "linear without threshold".

The risks associated with moderate but long-term exposure are very different and can be stated, simplifying a lot, as follows:

- a distinction is made between radioactivity generated by sources external to the human body, and radioactivity generated by internal sources (swallowed or inhaled elements); the consequences are significant, certain elements being completely harmless outside the body, but proving to be very radiotoxic inside (this is the case in particular of radon and iodine)

- "natural" radioactivity (cosmic radiation, soil, radio-diagnostic, internal, etc.) varies from 1mSv / year (in Paris for example) to 6 or 7 mSv / year in certain granite areas (Brittany, Limousin, Corsica, etc. ), or even 200 or 250 mSv in certain regions of the world (Iran, India, Brazil, etc.) without any increase in mortality or cancer having been measured between the various regions. On the other hand, under certain conditions, the toxicity of certain emanations of radioactive gases can be formidable; this is the case for radon (in a confined environment) or iodine 131 ...

- it appears that doses of radioactivity lower than 100 mSv / year (therefore almost 50 times higher than the usual doses, and authorized) have no measurable effect on human health; some say 200 mSv / year. 100 mSv / year is already much more than the maximum doses received by Fukushima workers…

- above 100, or 200 mSv / year, the so-called stochastic effects of radiation appear, that is to say the appearance of random or very real illnesses or damage, statistically measurable and varying with the dose received; it is essentially the area of ​​radiation-induced cancers and genetic damage, established over the more or less long term.

- finally, beyond 1 Sv, appears the area of ​​deterministic effects where there is certain induction of serious attacks (cancers, genetic mutations ...) then of fatal attacks in the short or very short term (doses of 1 Gray or more ).

In fact, in Fukushima, the maximum dose received by the workers involved did not exceed 25 mSv, which places these workers in an area where we are unable to measure a deleterious effect. Perhaps because we are still incapable of it, certainly. But scientific honesty consists in recognizing that no effect is measurable, and that we do not know the cause of the cancers appearing in these workers; if an epidemiological study showed that there are more cancers among these workers than in the general population, obviously, the responsibility for these cancers should be attributed to radioactivity; but that’s not the case today…

Regarding flora and fauna, I have no scientific study available; that said, the phenomenon of the "red forest" is well known and it seems certain that deciduous trees are more resistant to radiation; it's still a little light analysis.
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 20/04/19, 02:07

Indeed it remains a bit light and for good reason. The published studies on the consequences of radioactivity on flora and fauna can be counted on the fingers of one hand, even several years after disasters. 4 only 2 years after the Fukushima drama and none 5 years after the Chernobyl drama. That is to say the little that we know (and that we want to know, the work of researchers is prevented by the authorities in the area of ​​the plant) on the impact of radioactivity. If we have a vision that is a little bit ecological, in the sense that for example human life is closely entangled in the networks of life formed by ecosystems, we are at least amazed and we are entitled to wonder if the large statistical surveys of official bodies, certainly useful, allow us to understand in depth the reality of the phenomena at stake.

According to the surveys presented in the article below, it has been observed that the populations of birds, cicadas and butterflies have fallen in proportion to the intensity of the radioactivity released around Fukushima. Above all, researchers are questioning the effect of low doses and the visible delay effects on animals (stronger genetic mutations in the offspring of butterflies?).

https://www.science-et-vie.com/archives ... eaux-19663

Also note this clear, textual quote from JR Jourdain, the IRSN specialist we already talked about:
"At Chernobyl, twenty-seven years later, we know that 7 to 000 thyroid cancers are directly attributable to radioactive iodine"

PS: I did not find the documentation announced on the theory of the absence of threshold or linear rule without threshold.
0 x