First garden, some challenges ...

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: First garden, some challenges ...

by phil53 » 08/03/19, 17:27

In the main thread it is explained why the cardboard is not terrible even inadvisable.
A garden is the long term the first year should rather expect disappointing results.
1 x
Skippy
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Skippy » 08/03/19, 17:57

phil53 wrote:In the main thread it is explained why the cardboard is not terrible even inadvisable.
A garden is the long term the first year should rather expect disappointing results.

Thank you, I did not think to go see. I was able to find the messages quickly thanks to summary.

I quote the conclusion:
Did67 wrote:- in the very last resort, in the absence of any resource: why not?
- to associate with rich organic matter (claws, composts, kitchen waste) to compensate the poor wretched ...
- pay attention to settlement and not to go into "anaerobic" mode

Knowing:
- that I do not seek to enrich the land in the long term,
- it seems to me illusory to hope to cover it with hay apart from what I mowed on Sunday,
- that this one and the decomposing weeds (at what term?) will participate in the enrichment (I will supplement with a little compost, but in view of the surface it is negligible),
- that there is not beforehand no risk of settlement,
it confirms me in my idea.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 08/03/19, 18:53

Skippy wrote:
phil53 wrote:In the main thread it is explained why the cardboard is not terrible even inadvisable.

Thank you, I did not think to go see. I was able to find the messages quickly thanks to summary.

I quote the conclusion:
Did67 wrote:- in the very last resort, in the absence of any resource: why not?
- to associate with rich organic matter (claws, composts, kitchen waste) to compensate the poor wretched ...
- pay attention to settlement and not to go into "anaerobic" mode

Knowing:
- that I do not seek to enrich the land in the long term,
- it seems to me illusory to hope to cover it with hay apart from what I mowed on Sunday,
- that this one and the decomposing weeds (at what term?) will participate in the enrichment (I will supplement with a little compost, but in view of the surface it is negligible),
- that there is not beforehand no risk of settlement,
it confirms me in my idea.

if you are on this land for one year, or two, I personally will drop permaculture or other unconventional techniques
a good tiller to have a clean floor and I will cultivate in bare soil for the beginning and I will make mulch with lawn clippings of the surface that remains
all we're going to tell you, will apply for longer periods
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 08/03/19, 19:20

Moindreffor wrote:if you are on this land for one year, or two, I personally will drop permaculture or other unconventional techniques
a good tiller to have a soil, clean and I will cultivate in bare ground for the beginning and I will mulch with grass clippings of the surface that remains all that we will tell you, will be applicable for periods more long

In these conditions same opinion as Moindreflor
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 08/03/19, 20:32

Last year I still managed to have more than honorable tomatoes by starting with hay on meadow plots in April or May. It is true that it did not succeed everywhere (it did well where the ground was a little more shaded during the day, let's remember the dry weather of the summer!) But like what it is all the same possible and like what there will be other elements to take into account to "succeed" only this question of the starting litter. Otherwise I also think that whatever vegetable you can bring back will be good, especially if it is green: according to the photo you must be able to mow in the borders and collect dead leaves and ask around if people are not looking to get rid of their green waste ...
I was talking about "long term" to say: to obtain every year, whatever the climate and the crops of good harvests, plants which will have developed correctly. I don't know, maybe this is just my little experience: where I grow the sun can really hit the summer and the clay soil will then almost inevitably close if you don't water enough. It took me 5 years to understand that what I had put in place (a bit like you: 2 plastic tanks under the roof of a garden shed and a well thanks to which I watered using 2 watering cans) and which I could not even afford, was clearly insufficient for the 150 or even 100 m2 of crops. Following the discussions on Didier's thread, I understood to what extent, anyway, I was not in the right order of magnitude at all! So, afterwards, maybe this year the lack of water will be less annoying for you!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 09/03/19, 08:29

to be chafoin wrote:Last year I still managed to have more than honorable tomatoes by starting with hay on meadow plots in April or May. It is true that it did not succeed everywhere (it did well where the ground was a little more shaded during the day, let's remember the dry weather of the summer!) But like what it is all the same possible and like what there will be other elements to take into account to "succeed" only this question of the starting litter. Otherwise I also think that whatever vegetable you can bring back will be good, especially if it is green: according to the photo you must be able to mow in the borders and collect dead leaves and ask around if people are not looking to get rid of their green waste ...
I was talking about "long term" to say: to obtain every year, whatever the climate and the crops of good harvests, plants which will have developed correctly. I don't know, maybe this is just my little experience: where I grow the sun can really hit the summer and the clay soil will then almost inevitably close if you don't water enough. It took me 5 years to understand that what I had put in place (a bit like you: 2 plastic tanks under the roof of a garden shed and a well thanks to which I watered using 2 watering cans) and which I could not even afford, was clearly insufficient for the 150 or even 100 m2 of crops. Following the discussions on Didier's thread, I understood to what extent, anyway, I was not in the right order of magnitude at all! So, afterwards, maybe this year the lack of water will be less annoying for you!

I do not doubt that it will work, I just say that if he only keeps one year, he will invest for the next
so for me, a fork spade is the minimal investment for this year, on this ground in this optics
0 x
(of me)
Skippy
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Skippy » 09/03/19, 22:42

Moindreffor wrote:if you are on this land for one year, or two, I personally will drop permaculture or other unconventional techniques
a good tiller to have a clean floor and I will cultivate in bare soil for the beginning and I will make mulch with lawn clippings of the surface that remains

No, the tiller is excluded, and I don't want to waste time with “conventional” gardening (I want to say “backward”…). I do not care the yield (well I would like to manage to get a few tens of kilos of vegetables anyway…), at least it will give me a first experience which can only be beneficial for the next garden.

Moreover with the absence of water supply the bare ground seems to me a dead end.

My plan now is to pass a grinette if I can find one, and cover with cardboard after the next rain to store the water before the summer, and before the next frosts to keep its temperature.

Tomorrow I'm just going to try to identify the weeds to get an idea of ​​the type of land.

to be chafoin wrote:Last year I still managed to have more than honorable tomatoes by starting with hay on meadow plots in April or May. It is true that it did not succeed everywhere (it did well where the ground was a little more shaded during the day, let's remember the dry weather of the summer!) But like what it is all the same possible and like what there will be other elements to take into account to "succeed" only this question of the starting litter. Otherwise I also think that whatever vegetable you can bring back will be good, especially if it is green: according to the photo you must be able to mow in the borders and collect dead leaves and ask around if people are not looking to get rid of their green waste ...

Yes, I will see what I can add as and when, I will still be there this winter.

to be chafoin wrote:I was talking about "long term" to say: to obtain every year, whatever the climate and the crops of good harvests, plants which will have developed correctly. I don't know, maybe this is just my little experience: where I grow the sun can really hit the summer and the clay soil will then almost inevitably close if you don't water enough. It took me 5 years to understand that what I had put in place (a bit like you: 2 plastic tanks under the roof of a garden shed and a well thanks to which I watered using 2 watering cans) and which I could not even afford, was clearly insufficient for the 150 or even 100 m2 of crops. Following the discussions on Didier's thread, I understood to what extent, anyway, I was not in the right order of magnitude at all! So, afterwards, maybe this year the lack of water will be less annoying for you!

Indeed, counting one liter per square meter (!) On 100 m², a tank of 1000 L is emptied in 10 days ... I really need to prevent evaporation.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 10/03/19, 14:10

Skippy wrote:

No, the tiller is excluded, and I don't want to waste time with “conventional” gardening (I want to say “backward”…). I do not care the yield (well I would like to manage to get a few tens of kilos of vegetables anyway…), at least it will give me a first experience which can only be beneficial for the next garden.

Moreover with the absence of water supply the bare ground seems to me a dead end.

My plan now is to pass a grinette if I can find one, and cover with cardboard after the next rain to store the water before the summer, and before the next frosts to keep its temperature.

Tomorrow I'm just going to try to identify the weeds to get an idea of ​​the type of land.

Yes, I will see what I can add as and when, I will still be there this winter.

to be chafoin wrote:I was talking about "long term" to say: to obtain every year, whatever the climate and the crops of good harvests, plants which will have developed correctly. I don't know, maybe this is just my little experience: where I grow the sun can really hit the summer and the clay soil will then almost inevitably close if you don't water enough. It took me 5 years to understand that what I had put in place (a bit like you: 2 plastic tanks under the roof of a garden shed and a well thanks to which I watered using 2 watering cans) and which I could not even afford, was clearly insufficient for the 150 or even 100 m2 of crops. Following the discussions on Didier's thread, I understood to what extent, anyway, I was not in the right order of magnitude at all! So, afterwards, maybe this year the lack of water will be less annoying for you!

Indeed, counting one liter per square meter (!) On 100 m², a tank of 1000 L is emptied in 10 days ... I really need to prevent evaporation.

ok, but with the box you leave with the worst cover, so you shoot yourself from the start a ball in the foot
if you want a first positive experience, do the conventional, not necessarily on bare ground all year long, you will have as I noted you clippings to put on your kitchen garden
but if you leave with boxes, you will have a monstrous nitrogen hunger and nothing will grow the first year, so your hopes of a few tens of kilos, will turn into a few pounds, or less
after you do what you want, it's your vegetable garden, the nitrogen hunger I had this year, so you really harvest almost nothing
0 x
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 10/03/19, 14:50

Moindreffor wrote:ok, but with the box you leave with the worst cover, so you shoot yourself from the start a ball in the foot
if you want a first positive experience, do the conventional, not necessarily on bare ground all year long, you will have as I noted you clippings to put on your kitchen garden
but if you leave with boxes, you will have a monstrous nitrogen hunger and nothing will grow the first year, so your hopes of a few tens of kilos, will turn into a few pounds, or less
after you do what you want, it's your vegetable garden, the nitrogen hunger I had this year, so you really harvest almost nothing

Yes it's a shame to put cardboard.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 10/03/19, 14:54

nico239 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:ok, but with the box you leave with the worst cover, so you shoot yourself from the start a ball in the foot

Yes it's a shame to put cardboard.

after you can put some and we will have an experience described with the use of cardboard, but frankly if you go in this way, I really hope to be wrong
0 x
(of me)