Manual vegetable shredder

Help and advice for all work carried out in self building and presentation of your work DIY or self-build. Because making oneself is often econological but beware overconfidence!
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Manual vegetable shredder

by Ahmed » 02/03/19, 17:44

Quite a long time ago, we had thought about it with jacky dupety and the other members of the BRF collective to create a manual tool, but we ran up against the laws of physics and this research did not succeed.
I doubt that this device, as well designed as it is, can produce BRF in appreciable volumes and that it does not suffer irreparably from the weakness of its "engine" (not to mention the limitation in diameter which consequently reduces the resource)...
I believe that, in addition to the original use of a large shredder from a pruning friend, jacky dupety today uses a rotor mill (and not disc) a little larger than mine, which is probably in the right area taking into account the purchase cost / operating factors, on the one hand and productivity, on the other hand.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/03/19, 18:03

The volumes can be appreciable ... but on what time scale? It's Ze Question! : Cheesy:

A good lumberjack can split a few cubic meters a day ... starting from a material as woody as the twigs! : Mrgreen:

How? 'Or' What? By storing potential energy in its tool ... And I think this device does the same ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 02/03/19, 20:01

The potential energy is only a smoothing of the muscular energy and certainly, that can notably improve the result in the case of a power absorbed in a non-continuous way, but that does not solve in any way the weakness of the human motor faced with the mechanical resistance of the woody material ... I am not talking here of the effectiveness of the cutting of these branches, but of the practical possibility of maintaining an effort capable of producing a significant result (because the time of accumulation of energy is not productive).
Should you be a purist in terms of shredder and on the other hand continue to use an automobile? Under current global conditions and taking into account a desire for limitation in terms of impacts, I think that the kind of crusher I am defending does not constitute heresy, which is why I spoke of "acceptable compromise". The idea of ​​a manual shredder had been put forward for the Third World countries, for which this freedom from motorization and the use of human force seemed relatively coherent in a concern of developing local experiences and a involvement in a technique suitable for users.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 03/03/19, 01:44

Christophe wrote:This Shredder of branches and other plants succeeds the good old Chopper of the XIXth century. It is designed to slice plants (straw, grass, hedges, brush, cardboard) up to 30 mm and more depending on the material and its degree of freshness. A knife is lowered and raised at each turn of the crank, driven by a powerful lever arm.
Too many superlatives to be honest : Wink:

It is the same principle as the old straw cutter presented by Ahmed to which we added all the security imposed today.
Additional mechanisms which must reduce the useful power.
At the price of metal today, I will be surprised that the flywheel is as heavy as that of Ahmed.
Direct training is replaced by a reduction which must slow down the speed of work by the same amount.
The 30 mm branches must be made of super soft wood, otherwise blocking guaranteed.
100 W approximately, the human power against 2000, that of a small garden shredder, difficult to fight.

Sorry for the disassembly as a rule, but would need a video to know if it is effective or if its place is in the museum. : Wink: http://www.lafabriculture.fr/IMG/pdf/de ... -tchak.pdf
1 x