ITE of an 1988 timber frame house

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
pwtb893
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

ITE of an 1988 timber frame house

by pwtb893 » 12/02/19, 22:52

Hello,
Owner since 1988 of a wooden frame house, we must face the facts: the insulation, good or very good at the time, is no longer at the level expected today. There are air passages mainly around joinery.
The construction of the MOB is classic:
- prefabricated walls (caisson with horizontal rails, poles and exterior plywood) filled with rolls of rockwool.
- inside: plasterboard
- outside: rain cover and clapboard wood clapboard
The heating is underfloor heating with water circulation connected to an electric boiler.
So I'm wondering about the improvement of insulation. An external thermal insulation with rigid panels of wool wood wool limiting or eliminating the thermal bridges seems to me the best solution. But I also ask myself the question of the feasibility of this ITE: suppression or conservation of the current wood cladding, vapor barrier ...
I do not see absolutely on the internet concerning the ITE on "old" MOB. What do you think ?
Thanks in advance.
0 x
PVresistif
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: ITE of a wooden frame house of 1988

by PVresistif » 15/02/19, 11:45

The wood is very nice but it works ... we can not do anything ... depending on the humidity variations or the dryness of the wood
an insulation is only worth its continuity, that is to say that the support must be totally immobile, otherwise it makes discrepancies between the various elements and a gap would be only a 1 mm that is enough
similarly glass wool in a dubbing if it is not well supported - and I do not see how it can be - it sinks every year a little bit ..... and insulation, very good at the beginning is degrades a little every year; it is the property of a house with non-rigid insulation!
the wooden houses, every year it deteriorates and not that the painting of the cladding that we see, everything that is not seen is much more important
A brick wall, it lasts 500 years without degrading ..... A hard palco plate can be expected 5 0 / 100 years, glass wool or rock in sandwich, a plate of 1 m of height of his own weight will have sagged by how much cm?
0 x
pwtb893
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: ITE of a wooden frame house of 1988

by pwtb893 » 15/02/19, 14:47

First of all, thank you, PVresistif of your answer.

The wood is very nice but it works ... we can not do anything ... depending on the humidity variations or the dryness of the wood
an insulation is only worth its continuity, that is to say that the support must be totally immobile, otherwise it makes discrepancies between the various elements and a gap would be only a 1 mm that is enough

As far as I'm concerned, I do not know if the support is completely immobile but I remember, at the construction, the fastenings of the wall panels on the concrete screed and fastenings of the panels between them. I think I can say that it must not move.

similarly glass wool in a dubbing if it is not well supported - and I do not see how it can be - it sinks every year a little bit ..... and insulation, very good at the beginning is degrades a little every year; it is the property of a house with non-rigid insulation!

So, I totally agree with you! I do not even think about it because to solve this problem would be to remove all the plasterboard on the peripheral walls in order to be able to remove the rock wool in the caissons and replace it with a rigid insulation. Infeasible in my case.

But all that does not answer my question, have you ever heard of ITE on an old timber frame house.
0 x