Solar Mountain, Elioth project: valley breeze of wind!

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Christophe

Solar Mountain, Elioth project: valley breeze of wind!

by Christophe » 09/02/16, 20:29

Generation of solar electricity by "solar mountains"

The solar mountains are devices aiming to create electric energy via turbines activated by a current of hot air heated, obviously, by the sun.

https://www.econologie.com/telechargeme ... -solaires/

The principle recalls the wind turbine towers see solar-photovoltaic / towers aerogeneratrices-a-Vortex-effect-synthesis-t3801.html with the difference that there is no very important and heavy structural work to set up since they use the blanks of ... mountains.

Paraglider for some years, the valley breezes are used for all takeoff and soaring in the mountains.
The solar mountains use this principle by increasing it by greenhouse effect and by channeling it to increase the speed of ascent of the wind.

One could imagine that they also use the slope breeze (inversion of the phenomenon when the temperatures reverse at the end of the afternoon: the wind falls towards the valley, also called catabatic wind in its most violent version, fortunately that we do not meet on paragliding sites lol see https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vent_catabatique )

Read the attached .pdf for more information on the principle.

Introduction

The Elioth project is a renewable energy production system supported by the Iosis group. This company is one of the European majors of engineering and technical project management in the fields of construction. This company - whose holding company is located in Paris - has more than 1200 employees, mostly engineers.

The Elioth project is a revolutionary principle of solar power plant which was the subject of an international patent in 2005 and whose inventor is Raphaël Ménard. Elioth The project is developed by the eponymous department Iosis group. The latter is an entity dedicated group of Iosis speaker on complex construction engineering subjects.

The mountains are solar power plants whose power can reach 500 -either MW power from a central nucléaire- for a construction cost may be less than € 1 per watt installed! The project originated from the concept of solar chimney. This kind of plant was initially imagined by Günther in 1931. The engineering SBP has built in a central-1982 prototype in Manzanares, Andalusia which included a fireplace 200 meters high. A project currently under study provides a central 200 MW in Australia; this should be achieved by 2009 and would have a greater thermal print with a fireplace 1000 meters high!

The original idea for the project comes from a triviality: the globe provides us with support through the natural terrain, and especially through the mountains. Therefore, up to 200 meters 1000 or 3000 meters no longer represents a major technical achievement insofar led the wife of the fireplace and the relief builds steadily on the floor. Solar Mountains, it is also a revolutionary construction principle authorizing set super fast and environmentally painless work. development ideas combine this system of energy production an instrument of exploitation of the territory: why not imagine, for example, vegetable crops in the greenhouse the plant?

The innovation of the Elioth project is also its modesty ... because the day when humanity will have an efficient and clean energy source, the solar mountains will be dismantled very easily, will not generate scars on the landscape thanks to their constructive mode and will be recycled very easily.

Solar_Mountains.pdf
(1.24 million) Downloaded times 9415
0 x
Christophe

Re: Solar Mountain, Elioth Project: The Valley Breeze Wind!

by Christophe » 17/02/16, 00:33

Person of interest ????
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 17/02/16, 11:48

the expansion of the air exploits small differences in temperature, so the yield limited by carnot is shabby ... you need huge surfaces: this is therefore only valid when the sensor is natural: therefore mountains that already exist and on which we do no work

so paragliders and gliders can use these wind

but building artificial stuff to reproduce the phenomenon seems ruinous to me, will be more expensive than simple photovoltaic panel whose price is known without surprise

if it is necessary to build something very large to reduce the price per kW installed there is better to do with the fields of mirror which light a steam boiler: the also everything is in point and well calculable

the downside of these large system is to occupy the ground and make it unusable for something else ... unlike photovoltaic that can be distributed on the roofs of all buildings useful for something else
1 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 17/02/16, 16:58

I share Chatelot's remarks.
0 x
ARMAND
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ARMAND » 17/02/16, 18:35

Ha here is an article that makes me happy, ... I worked on this idea over twenty years ago, in the footsteps of Nazare and its aerothermal tower, I needed to develop a neighboring project (ex-energy consultant wind turbine), so I had the idea of ​​using this principle: Thermal flux resulting from a good orientation, a slope and space. It is relatively efficient: I have a Savonius type wind turbine (slightly modified)) at the top of my field, on sunny days, it is able to turn slowly without apparent wind, only by the thermal translation of the medium (I live in the south) ... No way to make the electrical energy, you really need a large volume in motion ...
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/01/19, 15:11

The official site still exists: http://elioth.com/projets/montagne-solaire/

1989_Elioth_Montagnes_Solars_10.jpg
1989_Elioth_Montagnes_Solaires_10.jpg (198.24 KiB) Viewed 6277 times

A prototype has been produced:

1989_Elioth_Montagnes_Solars_101.jpg
1989_Elioth_Montagnes_Solaires_101.jpg (285.53 KiB) Viewed 6277 times

You can even put one in your garden:

1989_Elioth_Montagnes_Solars_5.jpg
1989_Elioth_Montagnes_Solaires_5.jpg (332.79 KiB) Viewed 6277 times

Principle in video:

0 x