2019 resolution: (try to) do not buy anything new! Boycott of the new?

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: 2019 Resolution: (try to) do not buy anything new! Boycott of the new?

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 08/01/19, 00:26

Christophe wrote:Yes but as I was talking about second-hand sites too ...

By the way, before you arrive on this forum, there was a free classifieds section on the site with a "I donate" section .... I think I stopped having stopped it in 2016 (too many scam attempts, too much time to validate the ads ... )

Ah the generalist PA is a job ...
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 08/01/19, 10:20

There is a big big job to do in terms of recycling, and for the moment very little is done.

I often go to the recycling center of my municipality and when I see what is thrown away, I am horrified! : Shock: : Evil:

For example, a new big container was recently installed to throw away the furniture and I cry regularly :( (with others) when we see the quality and good condition of what is thrown: much better quality and in better condition than most of the furniture I have at home. :( :( :(

Regularly, there are large stocks of NEW and still packaged products arriving at the recycling center, probably companies that go bankrupt and that have to empty a hangar or a room in an emergency: everything is loaded into a dump truck that comes to dump at the recycling center. It is a sad reality!

Another example, I am a member of a association which militates for the use of the bicycle in town and who opened a participative bike workshop in an underprivileged area of ​​a large municipality: to repair bikes we collect all the bike equipment and old bikes. For years we have been trying to convince elected officials to recover the very large number of bikes which leave in the dumpsters of recycling centers to restore them, resell them at a symbolic price or lend them: for the moment no positive return from elected officials. (We just manage to recover some bikes in the dumpsters by negotiating with the complacent staff of the recycling center).

Likewise, we have noticed that regularly a huge stock of bikes still in good condition, which have been stolen and recovered by the police in cellars, stash houses, or abandoned on the street, are resold by weight for a symbolic price to a ... scrap dealer!

Last subject that makes my hair stand on end: food waste.

The one we regularly talk about raising our arms to the sky wondering how it is still possible in our time when so many people lack food. Regularly I go around bakeries and fruit and vegetable shops to find out if I can collect unsold items that go to the dumpster every day to give them to my animals (horses, ponies, rabbits, ...).

Some businesses refuse to give ("it sounds bad ..." some say, and others, "it's forbidden to give for reasons of responsibility ..."), but only with other businesses this are hundreds of kg of food just a little shabby or unsold from the day before which could should be collected instead of being thrown away: sometimes there are too many for me to recover everything!

And at the same time, there are many charities that make desperate calls for food donations and that organize occasional food donation operations in the parking lots of supermarkets ... : roll:
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
perplex
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by perplex » 08/01/19, 11:41

you spoke "bikes"
The Chinese impress me more and more >> https://lexpansion.lexpress.fr/diaporam ... ml#photo-1 : Mrgreen:
0 x
The world is perfect !!!
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/01/19, 12:10

Grelinette wrote:There is a big big job to do in terms of recycling, and for the moment very little is done.

I often go to the recycling center of my municipality and when I see what is thrown away, I am horrified! : Shock: : Evil:

For example, a new big container was recently installed to throw away the furniture and I cry regularly :( (with others) when we see the quality and good condition of what is thrown: much better quality and in better condition than most of the furniture I have at home. :( :( :(

Regularly, there are large stocks of NEW and still packaged products arriving at the recycling center,

Even felt ... In Luxembourg it has been known for years!

Bulky items is that every X weeks ... things not unpacked on the sidewalk

There are indeed several planets on Earth! : Cheesy:

Grelinette wrote: probably companies that go bankrupt and have to empty a hangar or a room urgently: everything is loaded in a dump truck that comes to dump at the recycling center. It is a sad reality!

Not bankruptcies (because it is sold at auction) but may be tax adjustments (the destruction of a stock is tax exempt! The donation is not!) ... or quality problems?

Yes sorry in any case!

ps: for bikes, have you been to see the local Emmaüs? They also have lots of bikes (in both senses of the word!)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/01/19, 12:15

perplex wrote:you spoke "bikes"
The Chinese impress me more and more >> https://lexpansion.lexpress.fr/diaporam ... ml#photo-1 : Mrgreen:

Uh your remark leaves me Perplex ... is it humor?

It is less worse, by far and at all levels (ecological, economic, social ...), than the thousands of cars abandoned following the Volkswagate!

But this image is impressive all the same:

Numerous-shared-bikes-piled-up-in-xiamen_5983514.jpg

Fortunately we are told: capitalism is the best of systems !!

: Cry: : Cry: : Cry:
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 08/01/19, 12:50

Christophe, you write:
the destruction of a stock is tax exempt! The gift is not!

The gift satisfies a need, the destruction "cleans up" the market whose role is only the creation of abstract value: here is a further illustration.
Legally, donation is prohibited (in reality, it is very limited and supervised), as is mutual aid between neighbors or friends, since this escapes commodification and therefore taxation.
On the Bon Coin site, when I want to give something, I have to mention 0 € on my ad ...
Last edited by Ahmed the 08 / 01 / 19, 12: 53, 1 edited once.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/01/19, 12:53

That's right ... you must legally cash!

And instead of giving expired unsold items, the system imposes their destruction !! Yes, it should especially not penalize the GDP ... In the meantime the poorest die on the street!

Let the yellow vests burn this inhuman system and the faster the better!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 08/01/19, 13:04

A little too simplified your business there.

Yes, donations are fiscally supervised - it is a resource for the third party. As are full of social benefits (often - not all - taxed).

I don't see where the prohibitions are ???? On the contrary, donations are explicitly provided for ...

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... oits/F1404

"Taxation" is another story and depending on whether or not it is considered normal for a State to take resources to act, the point of view will be different. After all, why would a salary-type income be taxed and not the donation of an American uncle ???

How questionable mutual aid is when it becomes "moonlighting" (which is, in fact, supervised - finally fought!). Apart from that, what limit do you know to real mutual aid ??? There are quite a few SELs, which are, when they grow, at the exact limit of "moonlighting". The majority are, to my knowledge, tolerated.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 08/01/19, 14:06

Do you want nuances? 8)
I agree that donations of any size should be declared with what this entails, but that is not what I wanted to point out.
You just have to consult the legal texts to realize that in theory mutual aid or minor donations are only conceivable within the family circle, everything else is prohibited, but in fact tolerated, since it is difficult to avoid ... The market form is the rule.
Sometimes, it is with a laudable aim that the legislator acts thus: for example, it is impossible to give something which supposes a work on the part of the donee to recover the good *. This avoids hidden work and a form of exploitation.

* Typical case of the wood donated to be taken from a plot: this is assimilated (not without reason) to the provision of services without remuneration, because if you give for work, it is that you believe that the exploitation that the owner could have practiced himself has no intrinsic value.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 08/01/19, 15:37

Well then say the "gift" made "little" ... Image since yesterday.

In any case it is, in my opinion, very UNDER EMPLOYEE.

We find that the spirits are very well FORMAT by the consumer society.

The distrust of the gift is very curious to note: distrust, suspicion, distrust, pride, pride and so on ...

Just like the collection in the so-called "garbage" ...

I went down to one of the dumpsters in our recycling center a few months ago to collect a stock of stainless steel catering dishes of all sizes, including very large ones (when you know what it costs), Ms. was delighted.

And that's nothing.

One of Ms.'s sons works for an auction house provider, one of whose activities is to clear houses.
I'm not telling you what goes to the dump.
Unfortunately it is very difficult to take advantage of it because you have to be there on time T or at least in the half-day to save from the recycling center what you want: and which can be made of branded clothes, see very very big brands, new furniture or there too big brands ... etc
Death strikes unexpectedly and all life is interrupted suddenly with a single stroke, sometimes breaking into a life full of projects.

All this to say that all the waste is not necessarily known or visible
0 x

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"