New lazy 04 kitchen garden

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Diabolorent
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: New lazy 04 kitchen garden

by Diabolorent » 09/10/18, 09:19

to be chafoin wrote:Same thing here, it's really not a year in Mildiou.

On the contrary: All the west has been hit but also the southeast which is more rare.

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr ... 31004.html

http://alerte-environnement.fr/2018/06/ ... tte-annee/
0 x
"It is not a sign of good mental health to be well adapted to a sick society" Jiddu Krishnamurti.
Diabolorent
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Diabolorent » 09/10/18, 09:34

nico239 wrote:I can always inquire with my daughter ... she worked until recently at the Littorale ...
http://www.lalittorale.fr/

Yes that can help : Wink:
I visited the site, there is indeed something to do : Shock:

The thing is that the boiling of the alcoholic fermentation did not happen and therefore the sugar did not change into alcohol. The grapes were not excessively sweet, however, some bunches were even a bit sour.
For the fermentation of the second harvest my wife took the lead: a little yeast to start the schmilblick :)
0 x
"It is not a sign of good mental health to be well adapted to a sick society" Jiddu Krishnamurti.
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 09/10/18, 23:25

Yes, so indeed we perhaps generalized a bit quickly because I learned from the other day that a neighbor had lost his entire harvest of grapes because of the mildew which was very present in the spring, and the winegrowers who did not not practicing "organic" like this person, would have sulphated enormously ...

For my part, it is true that I had mildew on the pdt around June I think. But on tomatoes, I do not think I had, or not much. I have had a year to have all my plants burnt in July! To disgust you: you do not even have time to eat 3 tomatoes that blam! Maybe having planted even later this year made me avoid these early annoyances. Otherwise, it is most often in September that this plague is devastating and this year, almost not seen the weather. Perhaps the thick mulch also protects: contaminated water droplets can not burst on the ground and spread the stump to the feet.

On the other hand I had other problems of diseases / pests almost as impacting and that I did not know or little: bronzed acariosis perhaps, bugs, mites and so on ...
0 x
Diabolorent
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Diabolorent » 02/04/19, 10:00

Hello to all Image

New year, new kitchen garden : Cheesy:

With my experience last year, I expanded my kitchen garden area. Almost tripled in fact but more airy : Lol:
Indeed it was a little mess last year, too dense especially. We will try to air a little history to have already easier access for maintenance and watering and to insert a few flowers to cheer all this and especially give to pollinators : Cheesy:
So here is the preparation for this year.

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

It's very dry as you can see : Shock: and it's not the few drops of rain that are likely to fall this week that will work miracles!
I'm seriously thinking about an automatic watering Image.
If you have advice, tips, shopping sites do not hesitate, I'm interested : Wink:

In the meantime, I water from time to time ...
1 x
Grizbi
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Grizbi » 02/04/19, 17:02

Hello Diabolorent,

I think you're using rectangular bunches of hay - I did the same thing so we put hay slabs. Convenient ! On the other hand I had the impression that these slabs of hay were so tight that they did not let the moisture pass and did not decompose or little .. to see absolutely hermetic
After this impression may have been skewed by the very dry summer of last year which was also my first season.

Do you have any feedback to share on the use of these "compressed slabs"?
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 02/04/19, 18:48

Diabolorent wrote:Hello to all Image

New year, new kitchen garden : Cheesy:

Well, well, that's bumpy ...

Waou super provision

With that it is sure that you will be more comfortable ... : Wink:

See you soon : Wink:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/04/19, 19:18

Grizbi wrote:
On the other hand I had the impression that these slabs of hay were so tight that they did not allow the humidity to pass and did not decompose or more .. to see absolutely hermetic
After this impression may have been skewed by the very dry summer of last year which was also my first season.

What is certain is that in some corners has experienced a dryness carabinée (elsewhere, they had much more rain than usual !!!!). And there, the hay stopped to decompose!

Without water, no life. Lifeless, hay is eternal like fruit sterilized in a jar ...

Remember that a dry sausage that can be lugged everywhere and for a long time - at the risk of rancidity! - is only a chopped steak that has been dried!

The density of small balls is very variable depending on the setting. Just make sure that the slabs are not too compact (impenetrable) ... A dibble must cross fairly easily ... Otherwise, rather put several slices finer ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 03/04/19, 08:31

Did67 wrote:
Grizbi wrote:
On the other hand I had the impression that these slabs of hay were so tight that they did not allow the humidity to pass and did not decompose or more .. to see absolutely hermetic

What is certain is that in some corners has experienced a dryness carabinée (elsewhere, they had much more rain than usual !!!!). And there, the hay stopped to decompose!

Without water, no life. Lifeless, hay is eternal like fruit sterilized in a jar ...

Remember that a dry sausage that can be lugged everywhere and for a long time - at the risk of rancidity! - is only a chopped steak that has been dried!

The density of small balls is very variable depending on the setting. Just make sure that the slabs are not too compact (impenetrable) ... A dibble must cross fairly easily ... Otherwise, rather put several slices finer ...

actually me who uses that kind of small balls, it is often very compacted, I do like you I place the slabs, but then I stitch this small slab with my fork and I shake a poo, it decomposes quickly enough and so you have the hay, you can do that after putting all your flagsticks, if not another lazy method put the hay earlier in the season, actually like it takes the rain early, it's a little longer to mineralize, it's really like a roof, the water passes between the slabs, if you put it before winter it has plenty of time to take rain (in winter is wet : Mrgreen: , normally)
I prefer this kind of ball to rollers, question weight, and if you have time to put 2 or 3 balls, you can do it, while the roll, if you stop in the middle and after you have a period of rain it may take water and weight : Evil:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Diabolorent
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Diabolorent » 03/04/19, 09:26

@ Grisbi: Indeed they are rectangular boots and it is true that in some places it is quite compact.
Last year there was enough rain at home, especially early in the season, to activate the decomposition of hay.
After that 3 waterings / week were enough to keep the humidity.

By cons I had initially 20cm hay but, finding the surface too small I spread more and therefore a little reduced thickness which has hindered the effectiveness of the technique: more weeds and a drought in places not covered enough.

This year I tripled actually the hay (15 boots) but I doubled the surface to keep the 20cm everywhere : Wink:

I think that despite the compactness of the boots, the water still passes, if only through the "joints" between the boots. There must be water that's all :?

@ soon Nico! : Wink:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 03/04/19, 10:08

For the water, you shouldn't worry too much! What falls, will return to the ground, at the level of the "joints", and will move in the ground, by capillary action, from the wettest places to the driest. The fungus filament network will do the rest.

"Compactness" cannot affect the ability of certain vegetables to pierce! I had garlic that got "stuck" underneath ...

Normally, this accident is rare:

- if we spread the hay and plant bulbils (onions, etc.) for example, the "trace" of the planter will be exploited by the young plant
- if we sow, we make a furrow
- if we plant buckets, we make a hole ...
0 x