VMC useful or not

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
swallow
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

VMC useful or not

by swallow » 30/07/18, 17:24

We have just acquired an old house located in Ardèche (07). It is all in black stones (granite), has an above-ground part used as a shed since always, then a floor where we want to make a living room of 41m2, then under the eaves, the same surface intended to make a bedroom and a bathroom.
The windows are not very large, typical of the region (not modifiable classified site). Very thick walls.
The works have started: roof, cellulose wadding, vapor barrier ... the walls will either be coated with lime or leave in visible stones.
The attic will have a wooden floor and the living room a clay concrete floor taken from "argilus" (https://www.argilus.fr/produit/beton-d'argile/). The walls of the kitchen space are already with a very thick concrete plaster and will not be removed (very small surface). The ceilings will be in flight.
The exterior walls will remain exposed stone. The house is located to the south.
My husband and our son carry out the restoration work and there a question arises following a difference between them: one thinks that it is necessary to install a CMV, the other not?
I have no skills in this area, which can help me with arguments to know that it would be the most suitable solution so that I explain it to "my men".
0 x
LOGIC12
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: VMC useful or not

by LOGIC12 » 23/02/19, 05:53

Hello,

it depends if you are used to opening windows and wicking moisture as many times as necessary.

You should know that we create steam mainly when cooking, but also when taking the shower or bath.

If you place a CMV, you must be able to put sheaths to go: one to the kitchen, one to the bathroom, another to the WC (flow rate less than for kitchen and S DE B. Avoid false slopes so the hollows where condensation could form. It is good to have insulated sheaths.

If the installation is too complicated, we can:
-install an extractor hood (the one that leaves the air outside) in the kitchen. We must not forget to make it work when cooking, even if it makes a little noise. Note that there are several speeds.

And also a good extractor in the bathroom. And for an extractor, the little ones that are commonly found have almost no efficiency, especially since if they lead into a pipe, it almost does not release any more air. I put an extractor which is 180 m3 (indicated on the label) and I made sure that it was not slowed down by the duct.
And extractors, it is not enough to operate them on the light, it would be very very very clearly insufficient. It has to run during the shower or bath, and again for at least 2 hours afterwards. (The CMVs operate 24 hours a day, so don't be afraid to leave them running.)

And if we come out of the air, we must not forget that it must be replaced, this is why there must be a good passage under the door (about 15 mm), which means that in addition it renews the air in the accommodation.

How are windows? to do well, the windows of the so-called dry rooms: living room, bedrooms should have ventilation at the top (if there is none, it must be done.

As for the extractor hood, it comes out of the air of the house at a faster speed than a VMC, so, during the day, we can make it work 5 minutes from time to time, it will be a little faster than a VMC, but in a very short time.

At home, I put the hood all the way down, I open one window at a time for about 5 minutes, and leaving the interior doors open, then I close the window and I move to another window, and so on.
Interior doors must have a passage of about 15 mm to facilitate air circulation.

All of this requires a little effort. The VMC, ensures a weak but continuous renewal of the air.

it's not only to get the humidity out, it's also to renew the air. If you always breathe the same air as some people do, you are like a fish in a jar of stale water. We therefore understand the double need for air renewal.

A house with properly renewed air does not "stink" when you enter.
0 x
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: VMC useful or not

by denis » 07/07/19, 18:19

the Canadian well is a good solution, not to lose, if the house breathes, is not waterproof to steam it is less necessary to renew the air, a minimum qmm!
0 x
White would not exist without the dark, but anyway!

http://maison-en-paille.blogspot.fr/