Cardan bike without chain speed

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Cardan bike without chain speed

by Christophe » 11/07/18, 19:20

The free bike of the future? Not sure...

If at first it can be nice, the negative points that I see are (cold):

a) Complex machining
b) Wear and price of wear? A chain and gables that cost (almost) nothing to change ...
c) Battery speed change and wireless control = maintenance
d) Rear cushioning more delicate (a chain is flexible ...)

A system of continuous shifting (cone on cone) would have been more interesting I think ... : Idea:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Cardan bike without chain speed

by chatelot16 » 11/07/18, 20:19

these small rollers that serve as pebble will be riddled quickly ... the life of the whole will be weak ... while the good old chain solution has proved its worth

I have no hope of seeing a gimbal solution with better performance than the classic chain

the chain may have some inconvenient, the kind not be waterproof so either lose oil or grease or receive dust that reduces its life ... a solution completely closed gear and cardans would be an advantage .. but this cardan and roller solution is as open as a chain so no advantage of sealing
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 11/07/18, 20:44

Hello, it's not new http://cyclurba.fr/forum/2208/velo-tran ... sionID=329
And closed and waterproof gimbals
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/07/18, 22:47

Yes I already knew the (rare) cardan bike, but the novelty is the speed variation system which, if it was more elaborate, could be continuous (cone on cone) and there it would be not bad.

We can even imagine automating the thing following the RPM of the rear wheel: each start would be done in 1ere ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/07/18, 22:47

chatelot16 wrote:these small rollers that serve as pebble will be riddled quickly ... the life of the whole will be weak ... while the good old chain solution has proved its worth

I have no hope of seeing a gimbal solution with better performance than the classic chain

the chain may have some inconvenient, the kind not be waterproof so either lose oil or grease or receive dust that reduces its life ... a solution completely closed gear and cardans would be an advantage .. but this cardan and roller solution is as open as a chain so no advantage of sealing

Yes I think the same!
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/07/18, 10:25

why talk about gimbal?

as long as the bike has no suspension, there is no need for a gimbal

the bike shown by izentrop has no gimbal, it just has a transmission shaft and gearbox completely closed: big advantage for rental bike, no chain deraille, dirty or dirty
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 12/07/18, 13:49

chatelot16 wrote:the bike shown by izentrop does not have a gimbal

Should be exploded to be safe. : Wink:
1 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 12/07/18, 18:59

in the video they say that the yield is 99% or the yield of a set chain / pinion / cassette / derailleur is about 92 to 95% with chain well aligned.
0 x
Click my signature
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/07/18, 19:13

of course they can give an 99% return on their video ... but I do not think that what I see

I yield the classic chain system, it's not an ad without proof ... it's what has been best for a long time

the performance of the conventional chain is not constant for all speeds ... this yield is maximum with the largest pinion on the rear wheel ... the more one reduces the diameter of the pinion the more the yield decreases ... and when we pedal we understand it quickly! it is better to put the big plateau and the pinion that goes well, rather than the small plateau and a smaller gear to make the same report
0 x
xboxman4
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by xboxman4 » 12/07/18, 21:43

The gimbals on the bikes have never been a problem so I do not see how on a bike it could be annoying.

A cardan is:
Durable
No maintenance (possibly lubricating oil to change from time to time)
No dirt
No derailment

On the other hand :
Heavier
Not repairable (or at least more difficult than a chain)
0 x