I have a furnace too powerful (wood stove Jotul F121)

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Alvin
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: jotul 121

by Alvin » 28/08/13, 22:03

asert wrote:hello I just came across your forumWas it possible to know if you have found a solution for your stove, or if you still have it, what do you do? I am looking for a jotul 121, thank you in advance.

I reduced the interior volume of the stove with refractory bricks and reduced the diameter of the flue (from 180 to 150) to the roof exit.
it works flawlessly since : Mrgreen:

sorry ........ good looking!
0 x
big-bear-brother-bear
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: I have a furnace too powerful (Jotul F121 wood stove)

by big-bear-brother-bear » 11/11/17, 13:18

I allow myself to relaunch this old post, hoping to find life.
Hello to you
I'm falling on this subject a few months ago and I really liked your advice about firebrick in the F121 Jotul, being a happy owner of this woodstove.
So after reading you, I lined the floor of my classic red refractory brick stove.
My stove is more economical because the bricks over-assemble the burning wood, which allows my stove to rise to 250 degrees on the front side above the door, more quickly. I do not make it climb higher, the cold is not yet pronounced. this temperature reached in about 2 hours.
For a duration of 6 has 8 heating hours with a wood volume of 4 has 5 10 logs of diameter on 50 long.
And I can tell you that the heating time and largely thanks to your brick solution ..
My Jotul takes a long time to go down, so a big thank you to you.

Now in the house we have decided to put a wood stove in the 2 rooms (my room + a guest room).
We find two small stoves 9kw wood, steel, cheap glass door has less than 200euros parts. (Bulgarian manufacture)
I installed them, and to my surprise this type of stove is very surprising.
Unlike my F121 or my wood stove Godin Chatelaine who is in the kitchen, they work pretty much the same.
It heats up very quickly, has 15 20 minutes radiates throughout the room, but once off the wood once it cooled it, I exaggerate good can be a little, say 1 hour.
So, I went to buy some refractory bricks again : Mrgreen:
I put on the back wall without filling the sides and laterally not filling everything.
It works cooler a little slower.
But not enough for my taste, then I line the floor, of course without obstructing the air supply?
Because I would like to do as in the F121, and if possible make a belt around the bottom of the stove hearth.
Does this mean an exaggeration on my part, which can lead to danger?
I'm waiting for your return, thank you
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 11/11/17, 19:49

to reduce the power of a wood burning fireplace it is important not to put the brick to make the fire higher ... it reduces the place for the flame and nipple nothing at all, or even worse may not leave a flame finished out of the hot zone and carry combustible gas in the chimney

brick is useful for reducing the size of the fireplace in width or length, but not in height

with a smaller focus its temperature will rise higher even lower power and combustion will be better

my preferred solution for fireplaces built in my own way is an inverted pyramid fireplace ... depending on the desired power the fire is at the height where there is the right width ... it allows a variation of power in a range as wide as we want
0 x
big-bear-brother-bear
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by big-bear-brother-bear » 11/11/17, 20:36

Excuse me, you did not understand me
I do not try to reduce the power, but rather to preserve the heat longer.
I did not resist and I did a test.
So with no more brick on the sides, nor in the bottom of the stove, just the floor of the stove completely covered. Leaving the air intake grille free. So a space for that.

At 17 hours 23 chamber, insert 4 xNUMX wood logs of diameter on 5 + one 30 diameter logs on 12.
mounted the stove has 250 degrees in 30 minutes, then after one hour stabilized at 150. room has 28 degrees.
back in the room for 21h30 control,
room temperature 26 degrees, stove totally off, but warm to 60 degrees. awesome!!!

I am satisfied. For me it is a stove that does what I expect from him.
I do not know if it will be stable, and without danger over time, I'll talk about it if there is something new.

The refractory brick I used is the same as that of the barbeque fabrications and the chimneys. slightly yellow orange and very heavy.
I hope that my testimony has been useful, it is only my opinion. : Wink:
0 x
big-bear-brother-bear
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by big-bear-brother-bear » 13/11/17, 11:40

After two days of use, balance sheet
1. I put wood less often, once in the evening before going to bed, on waking, the temperature is stable between 25 and 26 degrees, the stove does not become cold any more, it stays at 50 minimum degree, it stays warm, several hours after its extinction, wood in white ash inside.
2. the window this dirty less than originally.
3. putting less wood for safety, the temperature of the room becomes much more balanced, it does not rise to 30 degrees as the origin of the installation of the stove, to go down to 22 degrees, this being extremely unpleasant for me, no now it remains stable for a long time and sweet.
I do not know if I have to say it, but I am very very happy, and all this is thanks to this post.
Many thanks to you all.

I now have the solar installation section to consult because I have a complete installation, not mounted at home.
And after, I'll go on your easy gardening job. I want to grow my own vegetables and fruits, knowing nothing of nothing.
I hope I meet some people here. euuuh, if there is of course.
Goodbye, see you soon.
0 x