Internet detrimental to memory. Technologies and brain

How to stay healthy and prevent risks and consequences on your health and public health. occupational disease, industrial risks (asbestos, air pollution, electromagnetic waves ...), company risk (workplace stress, overuse of drugs ...) and individual (tobacco, alcohol ...).
Christophe

Internet detrimental to memory. Technologies and brain

by Christophe » 21/07/11, 12:02

What I think for a moment has just been put forward by a study, the internet affects human memory, just like, 25 years before, the democratization of the calculator had affected our skills in mental calculation!

Internet use changes human memory

The frequent use of search engines and online resources has changed the way we memorize information, reports a scientific study. Computers and the internet have become a kind of auxiliary memory. Rather than remembering certain facts, people remember how to find them online. Published in the prestigious journal Science, the research was conducted under the direction of Betsy Sparrow, Institute of Psychology, University of Colombia, United States.

The study notes that the Internet has become a kind of external storage of our memory, on which the human rests. This phenomenon is already known as "transactive memory": an individual will remember who to consult among his relatives or where to look for information, rather than make the effort to retain it himself.

An experiment conducted in the context of the study shows that when a user believes that he can easily access information typed in a document, he memorizes it less well than if he thinks that it will then be erased from the computer. However, he will easily remember where the document was stored. "Human memory is adapting to new communication technologies," Betsy Sparrow concludes in an interview for The New York Times. Thanks to the possibility of constantly accessing immense sources of information online, the man thus delegates to the machines a part of his memory.

T. Tissot

Source: http://www.ceriseclub.com/actualites/20 ... maine.html

As a "net pro" I largely confirm this, why withhold an X info when you usually find it by typing "wiki X info" on google? A good example in practice concerning me about the% of wood in the primary energy balance of humanity, cf https://www.econologie.com/forums/synthese-g ... 10950.html

Another article: http://www.rtl.be/loisirs/hightech/news ... a-memoire-

According to a very serious study of the journal Science, Internet users are already adapting to a new form of memory related to cyberspace. After observing the reactions of a group of volunteers, Betsy Sparrow and her team came to surprising conclusions.

First device, the participants had to write on a computer several unusual sentences like for example "the eye of an ostrich is bigger than its brain". It was then told to one half of the group that the information would be saved and the other half would be erased. As a result of the experiment, individuals believing that the file was backed up remember less often typed content while others tended to remember it. There is then a central role left to the computer as an auxiliary memory.

Another exercise reported in the journal Science, scientists asked the question: "Which countries have only one color on their flag? The idea being to check what was the first reflex, think of the flags or search online directly. To pass this test, it was necessary not only to retain the information sought (the phrase typed on a search engine) and in which file among the proposed 5 were stored the results. To everyone's surprise, candidates mostly retain the file where the answer is recorded rather than the information sought (the country flags).

We would prefer to remember the query to the search engine rather than its result because it can be found at any time. This type of memory is known as transactive memory, that is to say that we prefer to consult a close or here a computer rather than hold ourselves a given information. In conclusion, the study envisages the Internet as an external storage to our knowledge which our memory of surfer would have already adapted. Could this be another step towards the famous man-machine interface fantasized by science fiction writers?

We can broaden the debate on the impact of new technologies on the skills of the human brain ...
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 21/07/11, 12:27

Yes; it's almost obvious, but the amount of information manipulated has increased so much, in 50 years, that we retain only the essential, how to find it and the guiding idea!

This is also done at the expense of deep understanding, superficial, instead of a true assimilation of bases, which is abandoned to the internet !!

Internet also makes the body fat because lack of exercise!
It is also crucial to do an intense exercise every day, pedaling or running 200m of vertical drop, in 15 at 20minutes, without electric assistance !! !!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/07/11, 12:40

dedeleco wrote:without electric assistance !! !!

Ah ah ah I feel that this remark is particularly intended for me.
It falls well is HS battery!

First, I'm not fat, what is your BMI? : Cheesy:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 21/07/11, 14:35

It is primarily for myself and my sons and especially beautiful girls, who have been sometimes by this calamity!
My grandchildren do not have this problem, for now !!
So all, we are concerned !!

Christophe does not have a clear conscience !!

My body index is between 22,7 ety 23,7 depending on what I eat and what I pedal and run!
It has not changed in 50 years !!

Retired, we move less than active, and older, it is more difficult to keep this index !!
For me the main thing, more than the index, is to keep the ability to run and pedal at a steady pace and avoid the swelling of the bide, typical of many retirees (very visible on the beaches), and who at home, inflates surfing the internet !!

Retired, keep his mobility by exercise greatly decreases the fractures by falls, I can fall like a young without breaking anything, as I have checked several times!
Against osteoporosis, it's more effective than eating plenty of calcium, as false as popey spinach !!
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 21/07/11, 20:03

For transactional memory, it has become a necessity in some business. To do my job well I would have to know by heart a bewildering mass of data, to reuse a little bit to document other documents. We can not afford errors ... of memory and approximations. So you have to find the original quickly and extract / copy just the exact information you want.

The vision / memory of the document is more global, oriented, we retain "than" the most important, "unusual" passages, or those which by feeling will pose compatibility problems with other documents. Everything that is too "classic" is skipped. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Christophe

Re: Internet harmful to memory. Technologies and brain

by Christophe » 12/09/16, 11:59

A new article on the subject: Does the Internet make you stupid?

Our concentration and our memory decline: Does the Internet make us stupid?

Posted on 9 September 2016

In 2000, the immediate memory was used to capture a message for twelve seconds. In 2013, this duration drops to eight seconds. The attention of a goldfish is estimated, it, nine seconds ... This overwhelming finding alone summarizes the impact of digital screens on all kinds of screens. Investigation.

(...)

At a notable conference, held in March 2015, Austin, Texas, he argued a provocative hypothesis: And if the intensive use of the Internet was akin to a real pathology, a deficit disorder attention with or without hyperactivity (TDHA)?

The phenomenon affects 11% of young people between 4 and 17 years and 20% of students in the United States (no quantified study is available for France). It is the second leading cause of illness among young Americans after asthma.

"We are not saying that the internet or social media cause ADHD," Pietrus cautiously argues. "But the internet can affect mental functioning in different ways, which can mimic and, in some cases, exacerbate already present attention disorders. . "

(...)

Suite: http://www.wedemain.fr/Notre-concentrat ... a1721.html

See as well: electricity-electronics-informatics / company-camera-the-memory-impaired-by-internet-tic-t12004.html
0 x

Back to "Health and Prevention. Pollution, causes and effects of environmental risks "