Switching permaculture

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Joel Samuel
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Switching permaculture

by Joel Samuel » 09/09/16, 15:48

Hello,
All I did before was classic gardening: plowing, manure in large quantities, sowing or transplanting, daily watering, periodic weeding, sometimes insecticide, ...
I would like to switch to permaculture. Should I plow everything to bury the manure or leave the soil as it is and start covering it with hay? And watering will no longer be as necessary? My soil is of the clay type.
Thank you
0 x
Christophe

Re: Switching to permaculture

by Christophe » 09/09/16, 16:10

Welcome here!

Good idea that! :)

The transition to "Fenoculture" (we are still looking for the exact term but this one likes it) does not require plowing the land (especially not said Didier).
Just make a flush cut before placing the hay (20 cm at least)

You will find lots of info from Didier in this subject Agriculture / how-start-a-garden-of-the-lazy-steps-and-tips-t14895.html

I myself start the technique (I put the hay last Saturday), there are photos in the link above.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/09/16, 18:08

I confirm :

1) Don't tire yourself for nothing to bury! Living organisms will take care of it. Manure is not toxic! It is even a good amendment ... Even if the hay, put on the surface is better (for an amount of grass equivalent at the start). Even if people find it hard to believe!

The worms will take care of it ...

2) Indeed, a covered soil will require less watering (see not at all; I have still not watered at home, with the exception of a few rows sown or transplanted just before the heat wave).

3) Clay soils are those with the greatest reserve of water and mineral elements ... They are therefore the most "fertile" (if we consider that fertility is a "potential" for production). As long as you don't mistreat them: they are also the most "complicated" soils (where sandy soil is easy and forgives all mistakes) ...

There are some three and a half hours of videos on Youtube, with quite a few "remarks"; on Youtube's internal search engine, type "Potager du Laesseux" and the 3 videos should line up ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 09/09/16, 18:17

Permaculture is first of all a philosophy with a bit of myths and folklore around.
Plow !! ?? especially not unhappy ... It was to laugh :)
In fact it's the same thing you did, but without plowing, no pesticides, no fossil fertilizers, no fossil fuels.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/09/16, 18:23

Indeed. I thought it was obvious in my answer not to bury! No work. Not even the grelinette !!! Even if it is the "least worse", it remains harmful, in my opinion!
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"