Opinion on insulating paint like Thermacote, info or poison?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
cas1948
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Insulating paint: a scam?

by cas1948 » 03/12/11, 22:36

Thank you for all your comments, which go around the question ...

Indeed this kind of acrylic paint does not seem suitable for the current building:
-delicate implementation (ventilation, protection of the respiratory tract ...) reserved for companies specializing in industrial coatings;
-high basic material and labor prices;
-heat resistance, after all, very modest.
The Super Therm brochure specifies a heat transfer coefficient of 0,21 to 0,31 Btu / sq.ft / hr / F. This gives the equivalent in international units of a coefficient U (or formerly K) of 1,19 to 1,76 W / m². ° K.
This value is below the current values ​​obtained with a conventional insulation thickness of 3-4 cm ...

So to insulate from the cold it does not seem convincing. This could become interesting in reverse, to protect from heat, given the strong reflective power offered.

Greetings

cas1948
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 03/12/11, 23:10

This painting is mainly to reflect the sun which overheats corrugated iron roofs in the USA (an absurdity), and which therefore also reflects infrared heat from the convective boundary layer of air from about 0,5cm to 1cm doubling l insulation of this layer limits to around 2cm.
But in winter, at -20 to -30 ° C, sometimes they should curdle just a little less !!!

But a reflective metallic paint must be similar for much less and therefore considering the price it is close to the scam !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDJkiPF0UC8

and in this specification link, they shamelessly lie, with the ultra low U, like 6,5m of immobilized air, scientifically impossible !!
http://produits-btp.batiproduits.com/Dj ... 1709996444
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Insulating paint: a scam?

by Obamot » 04/12/11, 11:50

cas1948 wrote:So to insulate from the cold it does not seem convincing. This could become interesting in reverse, to protect from heat, given the strong reflective power offered.

It all depends on the goal to be achieved! If there is no other possibility, it can be fine ... Otherwise, nothing better than a distant curtain providing some shade and circulating air ... Or better yet, panels to recover this free energy to store and reuse later by time difference (at night or in winter by storage in a “thermal tank”)

cas1948 wrote:Thank you for all your comments, which go around the question ...

Indeed this kind of acrylic paint does not seem suitable for the current building:

It all depends on what we are looking for exactly. And above all what we want to find in the medium or long term ...

When it comes to protecting the facade, or to guaranteeing a good visual appearance, yet again to avoid in-depth deterioration of the masonry, it is on the contrary perfectly suited, why? Because “cheap” paints don't last more than a year or two before they start to deteriorate. And this alteration leads to accelerated degradation. So they are expensive to use, if we count the facade rehabilitation work. And much more expensive if we count that we only pay for one application (1 layer, + the primer ... but I would have to check with the invoices if we had not put two layers, but I don't think so, it was so easy to apply) and every twenty or thirty years for a top-of-the-range "top coat" (with maintenance, touch-ups and cleaning of the facade with light karcher, even with mild shampoo; every 3 or 4 years ..).

Thus, the "economic quantity" is de facto immediately reached with a high grade product ...

Conclusion: NEVER skimp on the quality of the products you apply, because the arbitration will be done via the cost of the MO.

cas1948 wrote:-delicate implementation [...] reserved for companies specializing in industrial coatings (ventilation, respiratory protection ...);

In our time, it makes NO MORE difference. ALL the implementations are delicate ALL the applications require to take precautionary measures. Because with 4 new toxic / synthetic substances per year - and which do not exist naturally for many of them (and to put it mildly ...) - no one knows at which moment such or such human organism will have reached its own limit which should not be exceeded (before all kinds of metabolic disorders occur, going up to the most serious cases, for a "flash" exposure even benign )

cas1948 wrote:-high basic material and labor prices;

The cost of labor will be a constant, regardless of the quality of the product chosen. And of course, a good product is easier and more pleasant to apply, so it will have a better chance of being applied correctly and of infiltrating / clinging to the deepest of the support! Besides, we do not see very well, which head of SME in the building industry, would venture today to apply products of poor quality? He would lose in MO .. And without putting a primer? (Unless the client does not want to pay, cruel dilemma ...) Etc ... Although a neighbor painter said to me a while ago that "working too well" does not guarantee that the client will come back ... It is therefore up to the prime contractor to keep an eye on the quality of the products ...

cas1948 wrote:-heat resistance, after all, very modest.
The Super Therm brochure specifies a heat transfer coefficient of 0,21 to 0,31 Btu / sq.ft / hr / F. This gives the equivalent in international units of a coefficient U (or formerly K) of 1,19 to 1,76 W / m². ° K.
This value is below the current values ​​obtained with a conventional insulation thickness of 3-4 cm ...

I haven't seen the Dulux specs, but all I can say is that all branded products "HERE", are of excellent quality. On the other hand - except for the case of this thread - it is useless to take something other than a basic acrylic paint (with solvent primer), because it is already difficult to do better, as for paying more? (( : Mrgreen: )
0 x
rirto
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by rirto » 28/04/15, 01:05

(for other claims such as "reduce energy consumption by 20%, or divide the U by 2", these are only pure commercial words without technical reference, therefore unusable).

From these data, we deduce that the density of the paint is 800kg / m3 (according to the specific weight ... moreover, funny name).
Only, we are talking about a 25mm layer (25mm of paint ???) which consumes 3kg / m². However, 25mm of a 800kg / m³ paint represents a weight of 20kg per m² ... should the paint be emulsified before brushing it?

In addition, with a density of 800kg / m³, thermal insulation by conduction becomes frankly average, and it must be deduced that it is a protection against radiation (reflective film style). In this case, one could imagine that it could have an interest in summer insulation, on the other hand, in winter, the paint being in direct contact with the wall, no heat exchange takes place by radiation ..., therefore almost efficiency zero in winter insulation.

Then, imagine that the density in operation is that given by the indication 3kg / m2, which corresponds to a density of 120kg / m3. Let us assume that the lambda at this density corresponds to that of a wood fiber of similar density (I am generous, it seems to me), or 0,042 W / m2 / K, like this: http://www.comparerdevis.net/travaux_isolation.htm
25mm of paint gives an R of around 0,6. It is therefore indeed a complement. But without technical product references, difficult to say more ... without forgetting the cost / performance ratio to take into account.
0 x
13or
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by 13or » 09/09/15, 20:05

I leave the file, I want to try this painting for my fitted truck, because the insulation is insufficient and I have enough to pay but I do not have the material means to redo the truck (no knowledge, no friends for m help and no place to sleep during the works ...)

So level weight, I understand in my research that it would be heavy?
and in your opinion, for my use it would be worth it ??
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/09/15, 20:14

Bof ... on a truck fitted I recommend the best insulation on the market compared to the necessary thickness, that is to say PIR (improved polyurethane) ... 5 to 6 cm should be enough given the low volume to heat.

Here is one of my PIR insulation site
0 x
Christophe

Re: Insulating paint like Thermacote, info or intox?

by Christophe » 11/07/21, 14:07

10 years and 1 day later ... what about opinions on insulating paints?

The offers are now numerous, like Thermacote, proof that there is a market ... but does a market prove the thermal efficiency of an insulating paint?
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Opinion on insulating paint like Thermacote, info or poison?

by moinsdewatt » 11/07/21, 23:55

There is always a deal with the gullible. : Idea:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/07/21, 00:42

So does it work? At least Business GDP level ... : Cheesy: : Cry:
0 x
Michel Coubes
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Michel Coubes » 01/04/22, 12:52

An economist by training, retired for 15 years, I am still active: for investors in Dubai and in Switzerland, I am a guarantor for quality products and I had to look for products that insulate from the cold (this is not the appropriate word) and which protects from the heat "of the sun's rays" and easy to use.
I found 2 products that meet my criteria: both behave like a goretex (registered trademark).
Both reject the sun's rays, 2 x more than the other, thanks to microscopic ceramic balls. A product is German / (but the composition is almost the same as the other product which is American, to find the error?) the big difference is the installation: the American: the ThermaCote is projected under strong pressure in 1 single coat on a clean surface (it's best). The other is German: the MIG-ESP Exterior, it also exists for the interior, but it arises in 1 times 3 x coat of primer and 1 x coats of product. I only tested ThermaCote which should only be applied by approved professionals, it has no odors etc. see documentation. Results: 2 to 90% of solar rays rejected. In industry, pipes can be handled even if they carry products at very high temperatures. For winter, moisture escapes from the walls, but no moisture returns. Therefore, the walls remain dry, it is the walls which therefore participate in the insulation of the building.
The product does not contribute at all to acoustic insulation (no mass).
The phenomenon is difficult to understand, normal people only look at the short term price. The Thermacote saves 15 to 45% on heating, this is important. (no thickness)
For the summer, (tested in Dubai and Israel) it saves at least 10c in ambient temperature.
And I'm not a commercial, just a user
0 x