The herbicide Roundup is toxic to human cells

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Korben Dallas
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

The herbicide Roundup is toxic to human cells

by Korben Dallas » 30/12/08, 17:24

A scoop: Roundup herbicide reportedly toxic to human cells

New study highlights toxic effects on human cells of Roundup, one of the most widely used herbicides in the world, including food GMOs.

Led by Gilles-Eric Seralini and Nora Benachour, from the University of Caen, this study (which is not the first of its kind), published in the American scientific journal Chemical Research in Toxicology, looked at the toxicity of Roundup on different types of human cells (umbilical cord, embryo and placenta). The experiment focused on four different formulations, at doses corresponding to those authorized on GM crops (soybeans in particular) genetically modified to resist this herbicide.

The results have shown that these formulations act in infinitesimal doses (dilution up to 100.000 times or more) and program cell death (this is apoptosis). They also cause damage to membranes and DNA, and prevent cell respiration.

http://www.futura-sciences.com/fr/news/t/developpement-durable-1/d/lherbicide-roundup-serait-toxique-pour-des-cellules-humaines_17792/

Who could have expected? Not Monsanto anyway.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 30/12/08, 18:41

: Arrow: In fact, more and more scientists are starting to advance this kind of assertion since they are no longer systematically slashed by their hierarchy and their declarations are finally listened to and relayed with attention by certain media.

Now it only remains to determine the diseases caused by this pig. : Evil:

Imagine, for example, that we discover that mucovicidosis is caused by exposure to glyphosate (scientific name of Monsanto's Roundup) ...
There is not, as far as I know, any warning on all the Roundup cans saying that Monsanto could not be held responsible if ... (This kind of clause exists however on contracts between sellers of GMOs and farmers). : Evil:
0 x
rubbish
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by rubbish » 16/05/09, 10:35

On this subject, the informs you of the creation of the collaborative non-profit site eco-reponse.fr

The goal: to put an end to conventional wisdom in the field of the environment
How it works: everyone contributes as on Wikipedia and offers arguments based on reliable and verified sources.

An example on the roundup: http://www.eco-reponse.fr/ecologie/Le_r ... ans_danger
Studies proving the dangers of this product are increasing, and these are reliable studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals ...

The project is in its infancy, the site is fresh, we are counting on you to help us.

Hoping that many contributors will come to participate to definitively end the misinformation and misconceptions.

Here I hope not to have polluted too much forum, and you will find the idea interesting.
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 14/08/15, 19:58

Roundup weedkiller classified as carcinogenic

THE WORLD | 25.03.2015

Rarely has the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) made this assessment potentially so fraught with consequences. In the latest edition of The Lancet Oncology, published online March 20, the World Health Organization (WHO) agency announces that it has classified three pesticides in category 2A - that is, " probable carcinogens "-, last step before the qualification of" certain carcinogen ".

Among the three molecules re-evaluated by the IARC are two insecticides, diazinon and malathion, the use of which is restricted in Europe. It is the third substance pinned, glyphosate, which gives its singularly explosive nature to the opinion issued by the IARC. Synthesized by Monsanto in the 1970s, glyphosate - the main ingredient in the famous weedkiller Roundup - is indeed the most widely used herbicide in the world and most often found in the environment.

"It is used in more than 750 products for agriculture, forestry, urban and domestic uses, note the scientists gathered by the CIRC. Its use has greatly increased with the development of glyphosate-tolerant transgenic crops. It is therefore not just a simple chemical whose safety is questioned by the IARC, but the cornerstone of the biotechnology sector's strategy. The vast majority of genetically modified plants (GM plants) cultivated in the world are in fact designed to be able to absorb this herbicide without perishing, thus allowing direct application to the crops to weed the cultivated areas.

http://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2 ... _3244.html
0 x

Back to "Economy and finance, sustainability, growth, GDP, ecological tax systems"