Pipotage of figures by car manufacturers?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Pipotage of figures by car manufacturers?

by Christophe » 02/08/06, 13:56

We were talking about it yesterday ... here is a timely information. This concerns American manufacturers, but is the situation in Europe really different, nothing is less certain! But read on:

According to the NGO Environmental Working Group, the consumption performance displayed by American manufacturers has nothing to do with the actual performance of vehicles. EWG calls for the modification of the tests so that they more reflect the reality of the driving modes and the conditions of use of the vehicles.
Since 1985, vehicles must meet an average performance of 27,5 miles per gallon (MPG) or 8,55 l / 100km for passenger vehicles and from 19,4 MPG (12,12 l / 100km) to 22,2 (10,59 l / 100km) for heavy goods vehicles (including the "light" SUV category). However, these tests are based on old conditions (1965 for the urban test and 1974 for the highway test), simulate only flat terrain, soft accelerations, optimal outside temperatures and a limit of 55 miles per hour ( or 88,5 km / h which is no longer the federal rule since 1995). In addition, they do not include any electrical equipment (audio, air conditioning) which has become widespread. Out of 300 models studied, less than 10% have real performances in line with those displayed.
EWG estimates that actual consumption is around 21,7 MPG (10,84 l / 100km) for cars and 16,3 MPG (14,43 l / 100km) for heavy goods vehicles. According to his calculations, this difference would correspond to 710 million barrels of oil, or 2 months of American consumption of automotive fuels. The NGO therefore supports the Senate initiative "Ten-in-Ten Fuel Economy", introduced on June 20, which would force the automobile industry to carry out tests in more realistic conditions, while imposing consumption standards of 10 MPG and by removing the privileges enjoyed by "light" heavy trucks. But as EWG points out, this initiative will come up against the lobbying of manufacturers, who are doing everything to keep the situation as it is.
As an indirect consequence of "optimistic" tests, there is a tendency for high-efficiency vehicles to slow down, such as the Prius hybrids, whose drivers seek to stick to theoretical consumption. Many drivers complain of the slowness of hybrids, especially when they are authorized, as in California or Virginia, to use unconditionally the quick release lanes (carpool lanes, carpool lanes, reserved for vehicles carrying the minus two people or three people depending on the case) during rush hour ...

source: http://www.bulletins-electroniques.com/ ... /34616.htm
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 02/08/06, 14:41

In my opinion, it is exactly the same in France. To convince myself, I just have to look at the actual consumption of my Picasso: 6,6l / 100Km in extra urban travel (90%) and a bit of highway (10%). If we now take the manufacturer data, we read:
Cons. Extra Urban: 4,6 liters / 100 km

2l / 100Km more !!!
Almost 30% more than the manufacturers' data. Fortunately, I drive like a grandpa and I respect the speed limits otherwise, we wonder what it would be like : Evil:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 02/08/06, 14:53

picasso: petrol or diesel?

well, fortunately, I have always had to deal with intelligent sellers who told me: in practice, we can do .....

that said, faced with the lobbbying of industrialists, we can trust the pugacity of magazines and consumer associations which regularly publish tests.

the reality is very difficult to reproduce, for example, in the 80s my boss, my colleague and I regularly went to do the "roadside assistance tour" in Brussels with a range rover 3,5 liters petrol.
50 km of motorway, 30 to 60 km in traffic, 50 km of motorway
no air co.

we made measurements out of curiosity;

the owner (we can clearly see that he was the one paying): 17 liters
me: 19 liters
my colleague Yves; 23 liters!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 02/08/06, 14:57

elephant wrote:picasso: petrol or diesel?

2.0l Hdi 90Hp.

Note, considering the consos, you might have suspected. Already that a poor petrol clio has trouble rolling below 6l / 100Km, Imagine dragging the last ton of Picasso with a conso of this order !!!
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/08/06, 15:05

Mmm no the builders big efforts to reduce consumption ... and then from Hdi (and equivalent) cars consume nothing! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

Isn't that the speech we hear frequently? To cry...
0 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."