How to isolate contrecoeurs windows?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

How to isolate contrecoeurs windows?

by dede2002 » 31/10/14, 13:14

Hello everybody,

To start, the reluctant is the part of the wall under the window, which is removed to make a door. I found this word in the bills of the house, centenarians, I do not know if it is still current?

(I found the construction invoice file, in 1897-98, and some big 1936 modifications ... : Mrgreen:
There is everything, detailed as they knew how to do it at the time, I'll show you if you want!)

The walls are made of lime-washed rubble stones of a thickness 50 cm.
The reluctors have a thickness of 20 cm., Right below the Monnetier rock window frames.

1- Almost all radiators are placed here.
2- In the kitchens, there are pantries and the radiators are elsewhere against the wall.

1- Without insulation, the outdoor surface temperature in very cold temperatures exceeds 4 ° than the wall temperature. (+ 2 ° with a thin reflector insulation behind the radiator.

2 - In the kitchen, since we are more numerous and more cautious than a hundred years ago, it condenses to the point of getting wet on the floor in the cold.

I start replacing the windows and I ask myself a lot of questions.

If I isolate the reluctant too much and its outside surface temperature drops below that of the wall it may become wet and freeze?

I notice that the exterior facade is damaged, cracked or downright more plaster, behind unheated contrecoeurs!

A +, looking forward to reading you.
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 31/10/14, 13:36

My first imminent project is a kitchen, where I replace the old window oak single glazed which is rotten.
North, I will place a new pvc window, remove the pantry and isolate the reluctant.

I have on hand a large 8cm PU panel lined with thick white enamelled sheet. (modular building element)

So I think I put it under the window ...
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 31/10/14, 17:36

By insulating from the inside with a waterproof panel, you should not increase the humidity of the wall. On the other hand, being no longer warmed by your thermal losses, it will go down under 0 °, so it would be better if it does not become soaked from the outside.
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 02/11/14, 13:55

Hi Philippe, thank you for the answer.

North side the rain does not wet the wall, it's just the humidity of the air that could condense. I'm going to watch the plaster well, and the wall where it is damaged.

For the other adversaries in which are placed the radiators, I seek simple and effective means ...
From the tests I have done, the best seems to be thin roofmate plates (2 or 3cm) lined with a thin insulator with aluminum reflector.
it happens less than 2 cm radiator.

I will try to do it with aluminum sheet, or by sticking aluminum foil on insulating boards.

Is there an IR transparent material that could come in front of the reflector?

A+ :D
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 05/11/14, 22:30

maybe also thin multi-layer insulators? anyway, you have to start thinking about IR, that's for sure.
no I do not know...
0 x