What fly bites me?

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 07/05/14, 11:26

Bizarre this case of itchy flies! ...

To this day, for me (and my horses) we made the difference between biting flies and those that do not sting; for example, the classic and innocuous fly that flies in the rooms of the house.

The worst flies (especially for horses) being the flat fly which will lodge in "intimate places" on the horses and cause brutal reactions without apparent explanation: for example a horse which suddenly starts in a rodeo because a fly is lodged under the base of its tail or between her thighs! ...
This fly is almost indestructible: it can not be crushed between the fingers, and to neutralize it you have to tear off the head ... and even without her head she continues to walk and fly!

That said, lately my farrier claimed that even the classic flies stung him now ... I thought he was wrong and confused with the horseflies, but, apparently, he is not the only one to have made this finding !!!!

Curious .... I'll catch some flies and try to see with a magnifying glass with which they can sting ...
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/05/14, 11:35

I am also bitten by "classic" flies, especially when they are excited, when it is hot or heavy, before a thunderstorm for example!

I do not know if they are bites or "bites" but that leaves no trace (on my skin at least) on the other hand the pain of the bite is almost as sharp as that of a mosquito (the aftereffects less)
0 x
CRICRI62
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by CRICRI62 » 07/05/14, 12:44

Thank you for your interventions :D
same observation for me: it sometimes happens to us to be bitten by classic flies and like you; apart from the pinching on the spot they left us no trace that's why I had put "pinches" but there I did indeed have a big button of the same type as those that we "offer" the mosquitoes ! with the same immediate effects: strong itching that I was able to calm with vinegar. This button has totally disappeared today while with a mosquito it puts several to go.
What seems curious to me is this dart at the base of the abdomen, a dart like bees seems it !!
Grelinette keep us informed of your research.

I have to leave I would do other photos earlier.

thank you
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 23/05/14, 09:53

Well, as promised, braving all risks, I made observations, tests and captures ... but nothing conclusive!

Here for example 2 different flies captured, but none of them seems to sting: I left them for a long time on my arm before "splatter" them violently!

Even a minute observation under the magnifying glass gives no clue.
Note that the yellow fly on the right has some similarities with a mosquito! I had not seen any of them so far, but I admit that I had not really looked into flies.

On the other hand, as observing and capturing flies proves long and tedious, here is something to pass the time and recycle the fruit of this hard work : Mrgreen: :
https://www.econologie.com/fichiers/partager3/1400831412enVrr9.pdf
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"