Yield: word disaster

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 06/05/14, 09:27

chatelot said:

and that we compare with the calories in food, we are completely wrong: because they are large calories

I had never thought about it, but indeed: what would you like to do with 2000 cal / day: just enough to raise the T ° of a liter of water by 2 °.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 06/05/14, 15:46

I do not know when the date of the change exactly, but I only saw the explanation in the general mechanics form jacque muller

calorie (old name small calorie symbol cal)
k calorie (old name big calorie symbol Cal)

the problem is that in physics lessons we completely forget to mention the old names even if they are still in common use and are traps

I remember asking the question of this inconsistency of the calories indicated for food, to a physics teacher ... no answer ... very embarrassed ... it was only a few years later with this muller form that I got the answer

this form (1977 edition, but 1st edition 1932) is very interesting

the same in chemistry: many gen s say that the old chemistry books are all wrong ... not at all the notation changed around 1880 ... the atomists invented the mole, and modified by 2 the mass atomic of 5 bodies ... so for the equivalentist water was HO and name H20

we never see any explanation for this change in any current chemistry book or on the internet: it is in the LAMI encyclopedia of 1880 that this change is well explained.
12 volumes downloadable from gallica.bnf.fr
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 06/05/14, 17:18

Two words in my favorite search engine and here it is:

http://www.la-definition.fr/calorie
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 06/05/14, 18:35

What a culture! :D Thank you for these learned explanations.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 06/05/14, 19:30

This encyclopedia, a high school teacher had shown it to me, saved from the trash after a library storage crisis ... a gold mine ... it was before the internet ... now we type oscar lami on gallica and we have everything

the preface of this encyclopedia could be read today and considered as current: the need to put on paper all that is useful ... except that he did it in 1880 by financing the edition by subscription .. . whereas now important knowledge is more and more difficult to obtain ... I have the impression that we forget more quickly than we invent
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"