Man Made Virus, Homemade Virus?

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Man Made Virus, Homemade Virus?

by cortejuan » 12/03/14, 18:52

Hello,

I just read an article in the world which makes me cold in the back. Two research groups, including one European (Dutch), have just produced new mutant viruses from H5N1 and H7N9 (if I'm not mistaken). Why ? Because these viruses transmissible to humans by birds need to be in very large numbers to infect humans. The ideal would therefore be to make them more contagious and above all transmissible from man to man (which they do not currently know how to do.

Unfortunately as it is forbidden to test on humans, these researchers proceeded on the ferret which has the particularity of coughing and sneezing (which rats and monkeys cannot do, lucky people).

And it's success! a ferret transmitted his flu to a congener without physical contact!

These works are denounced by eminent scientists including a Nobel Prize. One of them considers it as terrible as the atomic bomb because if the virus leaked from the experimental rooms, we could expect millions of deaths.

Finally, the safety standards of the experimental rooms are not the most drastic and leaks are absolutely not improbable.

So why continue despite a moratorium? because scientific curiosity should not be hampered according to one of the researchers, even if one can kill part of humanity.

After all, we have reactivated the Spanish flu virus and even better: we have recreated from DNA strands, a virus that has disappeared since time immemorial.

Who sneezed?

cordially
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/03/14, 19:06

Source of the article please?
I don't quite understand the logic of the 2 paragraphs ...

"Made man" you mean? : Cheesy:
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 13/03/14, 13:36

If this announcement is confirmed, it would also be the confirmation that "self-destruction is part of the genetic heritage of man".
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 13/03/14, 19:11

Hi,

yes the terminology "home made" is not clear, basically I meant made at home in this case the lab by man and not by nature. There is even often a DIY side to the business (hence the home made): we make attempts, we try and one day it works.

I am not criticizing research, I am part of it, but I also know the possible excesses of the small group of researchers completely absorbed by its research where ethics and simply reason come second.

The article appeared in the world of March 12 in an insert.

cordially
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by oli 80 » 13/03/14, 21:00

Good evening, I even saw an article on a virus crossed between rabies and the flu http://www.entreelibre.info/?p=260
http://www.guichetdusavoir.org/viewsujet.php?t=42044

but it seems to me to be a fake, I do not think that such a virus can exist, except in horror movies

I have to stop watching walking dead : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x