Electric car in cold weather: testimony with the Leaf

Cars, buses, bicycles, electric airplanes: all electric transportation that exist. Conversion, engines and electric drives for transport ...
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 18/01/14, 07:13

Hello,

Why can't an electric car tow a trailer?

In principle, the approval of the towable load is linked to the hill-starting capacity, the starting torque of the electric motors should be an advantage.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 18/01/14, 08:45

absolutely.

But in general, the anchor points of the hitch fall on battery packs, so the manufacturers do not get bored and prefer to declare the EV as unfit for towing. This was the case with all PSA Nicad cars.

Especially since the autonomy decreases in these cases there.
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 18/01/14, 15:35

This morning on France-Inter around 9 am, a short column entitled "The fiasco of the electric car in France".

Very interesting figures on the different EV models,% of market share, etc.

According to the journalist, the Nissan Leaf is the best-selling car, especially in Sweden, which seems to say that despite a relatively cold climate, the Leaf has advantages even in countries, certainly less cold than the Candana, but cold still.

(I tried to find this column on the FI site but I did not succeed. If some are more gifted, the link in podcast would be interesting for those who want to listen to it).
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Jean Francois Gagnon
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Behavior at low temperatures ... Fortunately surprised

by Jean Francois Gagnon » 25/01/14, 01:04

Hello,

I myself am the owner of a 2012 Nissan Leaf bought in April 2013 and we have traveled 13000km to date with the vehicle in the region of Quebec City (not very far from Mauricie). We are still bathed in temperatures between -20C and -30C without counting the wind factor (with this, the temperatures reach the least comfortable -40C)

Although I recognize that the range of the vehicle decreases at low temperature, there are a few aspects that have made it possible to minimize this decrease in range:

1- Connect the vehicle
2- Using the timer or Carwings (mobile or internet) heat the vehicle BEFORE leaving
3- Do not use the heating in the vehicle once you have left, but only use the defroster, the seats and the heated steering wheel. There is a way to have the defroster before without consuming too much energy by setting the temperature at 18C, stopping and restarting the defroster.
4- do not hesitate and ask to connect your vehicle to the visit when possible, give them an additional bottle of beer in exchange. Everyone has a 120V outside socket here because we have to plug in our gasoline vehicles when it is Siberian cold like it is now.

A few weeks ago, I covered more than 100km in such cold weather in one day, two round trips to the "sports village", a sliding center plus an evening with friends. And, yes, I reconnected the vehicle between exits.

The bottom line: heating the passenger compartment is to be avoided, however defrosting the windows is very efficient and energy efficient.
The Nissan Leaf is a city car, its autonomy is relatively limited and therefore the time spent in the vehicle is never very long. You just have to dress accordingly (don't forget that a petrol vehicle will not heat the passenger compartment quickly if it is very cold either).

Greetings
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 25/01/14, 01:23

of course in canada you are already used to having power outlets to heat gasoline cars ... in france it never happens

this remark is interesting! this habit of connecting electric heaters to cars favors electric cars

in France we invent charging stations as complicated as possible to make people forget that we could simply plug into any socket
0 x
Jean Francois Gagnon
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Jean Francois Gagnon » 25/01/14, 01:40

The 120V socket is mainly used to heat the engine block (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater) and sometimes the battery (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/autom ... uMHOhBxzRY)

Electric heating of the interior of a gasoline vehicle, although it may exist, is not common.

What is more popular is the installation of a remote start system to start the gasoline vehicle several minutes before leaving so that it warms up ... which does nothing to preserve our planet.

So, indeed, Electric car 1, petrol cars 0 with 5 minutes of penalty.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 25/01/14, 21:02

absolutely. Only common sense. : Idea:
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 27/01/14, 19:48

citro wrote:I must once again express my disagreement ... :?

The cold cited in the article (-32 ° C) is still extreme and 60% lower than the -20 ° C that you mention in your answers ...
By such temperatures, the majority of cars circulating in France would be irreparably out of use by bursting of the engine blocks, our coolants not being suitable. They would be impossible to start because lead-acid batteries would be inoperative, even burst by the gel of the electrolyte ...
In the countries affected by these temperatures, thermal cars are equipped with heating systems for engine blocks and batteries, and these are insulated ... [...]

Hi Citro,

My only Canadian experience dates back to the year 2000, we were at Lac Saint Jean with my family, with rental cars (V6 gasoline).
We have a few nights below -30 ° C, with a peak at -37 ° C.
No car has had a real problem, there is just one that we drowned when restarting it (pb solved by "burning" the candles with a lighter!) And so far I can tell you for having put your nose inside that there was nothing in particular under the hood ... And that we left them very wisely in an outside parking lot for several days in a row without touching them!
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 27/01/14, 20:21

fortunately, -30 ° does not put all the engine down: a car in good condition starts ... you should not shoot like crazy from the start, let it heat a little ... at these temperatures the economy energy is no longer the question! the real concern is to make the material last, so we let it heat up

Without going to Canada or Siberia, just in the Doubs we sometimes have low temperatures too ... it was at the time of simple cars ... I do not know what it is now with the everywhere ... and from this point of view it's as bad in electric cars as in thermal cars
0 x
yannko
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by yannko » 27/01/14, 22:45

No Citro said well in France :D, because of the diesels. Diesel freezes much earlier than petrol, especially if the pumps have not provided cold or arctic diesel.

The LDR can also be a problem if they take a type that only holds at -20 ° C for example.

Petrol is always volatile at these temperatures with its very low flash point, on the other hand, paraffin-based diesel.

But petrol can also freeze, see deckchairs in single-engine or twin-engine piston, AVGAS is additive of antifreeze to hold -50 or -60 ° C : Mrgreen:, it starts to do little anyway.

My 106 with Ni-Cd holds the cold relatively well by these temperatures (yesterday -12 ° C), the autonomy drops, but roughly of a 1/3 approximately. For 1994 batteries, you would think it would be worse. By cons at -20 ° C, I systematically recharge to half of what I do in winter to protect my batteries.

Below these temperatures, I take steam, so as not to demolish my EV which becomes aging.
0 x