Law of Econology / Godwin's Law

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Law of Econology / Godwin's Law

by Grelinette » 19/01/14, 14:40

You know Godwin's law (if not, here it is: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loi_de_Godwin )

I have the impression that many debates on "Econology" are related to this law.

Clearly, from a certain level of the debate, the discussions and the arguments switch to a semantics and a symbolism which go beyond the simple concrete and material aspect of the problem initially posed.

I like to read the new posts on the site (even those which do not concern me, the arguments of each other fascinate me), and I often notice that from a very concrete post, the discussion drifts little gradually towards more philosophical considerations. (I admit, moreover, that I am sometimes at the origin :? ).

I am not criticizing this tendency which I often find very interesting in semantics and symbolism, but I wonder about this tendency. I deduce that Econology is perhaps a subject that comes to challenge the deepest of our convictions, perhaps even our collective unconscious anxieties ...

What do you think ?

(I hasten to add that I compare the debates on Econolgie to the Goldwin point only on form and not on substance!)
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 19/01/14, 15:14

hi Greli!
I have the impression that many debates on "Econology" are related to this law.

The point Godwin overall is the fact for a person short of argument to compare his interlocutor to a (neo) Nazi ... the idea is to bypass critical analysis through the emotional and fear (shock strategy).

It does not seem to me that this is the deal on the forum?

Clearly, from a certain level of the debate, the discussions and the arguments switch to a semantics and a symbolism which go beyond the simple concrete and material aspect of the problem initially posed.

All concrete reality depends on an underlying reality.
How for example to understand matter without approaching the notion of molecule, atoms etc ...
To evade such a principle is to stick to the tip of the iceberg.

I deduce that Econology is perhaps a subject that comes to challenge the deepest of our convictions, perhaps even our collective unconscious anxieties ...

Question: what would be the absolute finality of economy?
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 19/01/14, 15:24

I wholeheartedly approve of what Sen-no-sen and I add that simple common sense is insufficient to judge the simple appearance of facts and things: common sense is satisfied, most of the time, to endorse an implicit value judgment.
Good conceptual "tools" are then necessary to go beyond this superficial stage.
"Felix potuit cognaccere causas rerum"!
Happy is he who can understand the root cause of things! :P
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 20/01/14, 07:30

good morning
I am not criticizing this tendency which I often find very interesting in semantics and symbolism, but I wonder about this tendency. I deduce that Econology is perhaps a subject that comes to challenge the deepest of our convictions, perhaps even our collective unconscious anxieties ...
What do you think ?

Anguish? It may be going too far on the motivations! Each individual gathers knowledge different from that of others, to which is added family and social culture, lifestyle habits, rejections from other cultures, etc.… this gives an individuality which is expressed by agreement or by opposition.
There is not a debate that escapes it because an idea is generally linked to others in the mind of the interlocutor and therefore it is added to the initial idea. And there, it goes in all directions to the detriment of the original subject. This is characteristic of political and cultural debates, interviews, family reunions, etc ... And again, on a subject, the interlocutor cannot be interrupted in the middle of what he is expressing, so it is an advantage. particular undeniable.
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 20/01/14, 14:15

sen-no-sen wrote:...
All concrete reality depends on an underlying reality.
How for example to understand matter without approaching the notion of molecule, atoms etc ...
To evade such a principle is to stick to the tip of the iceberg.

Hello,
I had never heard of this "law" ...
On the other hand, I started to understand the material with my hands, the "visible part of the iceberg" is important to me.
Without it (the visible part) I cannot imagine or try to understand the invisible part.

Ahmed wrote:

Happy is he who can understand the root cause of things! Razz

Amha the more we understand, the more we glimpse what remains to be understood ...

Besides, I did not understand the meaning of the aforementioned "law" but fortunately I am not unhappy.

A+ :D
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/01/14, 14:58

Yes, Dede, the more we understand, the more we become aware of our ignorance: it is a paradox of knowledge!
True scholars are therefore necessarily modest ...

The "law" in question does not match, as explained Sen-no-sen, to this aspect, therefore useless to be happy or unhappy !.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 20/01/14, 15:03

dede2002 wrote:Hello,
I had never heard of this "law" ...
(...)
Besides, I did not understand the meaning of the aforementioned "law" but fortunately I am not unhappy.

Normal since it is not a law.
It is a principle of study arising from the very nature of our reality.
the universe is composed of levels of organizations ranging from quarks to galactic super-clusters.
Without understanding the links between microcosm and macrocosm it becomes very difficult to understand the causal links.
It is also the role of ecology to study the interactions between living things and their environment.

Grelinette wondered about the sometimes very complex connotation that certain discussion took on, it seems to me to be an obligation without which any analysis would end up a prisoner of itself.
Indeed, how to analyze ecological problems without addressing biology, economy, culture, etc ...?
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/01/14, 15:22

In my last post, I was only referring to Godwin's "law", with which Grelinette was establishing a correspondence ...

To go in the direction of the last intervention of Sen-no-sen, it is easy to understand that within a circumscribed domain a reasoning can be true, reasoning which will be invalidated if one places oneself at a higher encompassing level.

This is how the motives of economic agents can appear (sometimes!) To be rational at their level of action, whereas this is no longer the case if one places oneself within the framework of the macroeconomics.
If you want examples, I have a bunch of them at your disposal! 8)
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 20/01/14, 18:07

Like the one who thinks that electricity is not expensive, because it only refers to his bill.
While those who analyze the entire sector and its impacts will think that it is expensive even for those who do not have one.

as an example?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/01/14, 19:21

Yes, with this methodological reservation that we should not limit ourselves to simple financial costs, but also take into account qualitative externalities.
0 x