Coupling boiler wood and fuel

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
lipphi
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Coupling boiler wood and fuel

by lipphi » 21/10/13, 23:38

Am looking for a schematic diagram for a boiler coupling solution according to the attached inventory
https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... kbYCRI.pdf

Goal :
installation of a fuel boiler to be coupled to the existing network to supplement the wood boiler

The questions I ask myself:

Is automatic operation of the Wood / Fuel switchover possible (when more wood, the fuel takes over) ?? No valve to open or close manually if possible.

- What schema of principle to respect?
- Operation in series or in // ?? Is operation in // advisable due to the circulation of water in the fuel boiler and non-isolated room?
- Positioning of the aquastat? valves? non-return valves?

Radiator required in the kitchen when fuel oil only? ? The wood stove / boiler radiates in the kitchen when it is working
- should you put a radiator in the kitchen when heating by fuel (mounting in // of the boilers)?
- does a series connection allow the current stove to act as a radiator?
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 22/10/13, 09:13

already, it is quite incredible that you do not have a mixing valve on your current wood installation.
a wood boiler installation by definition has a temperature of badly controlled. too cold or too hot but never the right temperature. in a wood log installation, the buffer tank AND the mixing valve are almost essential.
also, I see a small error (maybe just in the drawing) on ​​the connection of your DHW tank.
it must be connected to the radiator network at its coil, of course and not at the volume of water.
also, the circulator must not be downstream of the radiators but upstream. it must "push" the water into the radiators.
in short, the thermal comfort of this installation must be very poor.
otherwise, in my opinion, the oil coupling should be done in // with valves and a dedicated circulator coupled to a temperature probe on the starting circuit of the log boiler. but I will also put a buffer balloon.
0 x
Click my signature
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Coupling wood and fuel boiler

by loop » 22/10/13, 13:09

Bonjour,

Is automatic operation of the Wood / Fuel switchover possible (when more wood, the fuel takes over) ?? No valve to open or close manually if possible.

Yes, 2 distinc circulators or 1 circulator and a motorized zone valve are used.
To know if there are calories to "get" from the wood boiler, you have to compare the temperature of the water entering it with that which leaves it, when the circulator is working or more simply put a threshold with a thermostat to switch in "wood" mode.

- Operation in series or in // ?? Is operation in // advisable due to the circulation of water in the fuel boiler and non-isolated room?

Avoid the serial connection because there is no need to circulate hot water in the boiler when it is not in use.
Beware of losses from the oil boiler!

Radiator required in the kitchen when fuel oil only? ? The wood stove / boiler radiates in the kitchen when it is working
- should you put a radiator in the kitchen when heating by fuel (mounting in // of the boilers)?
- does a series connection allow the current stove to act as a radiator?

Putting an additional radiator in the kitchen, with thermostatic tap is probably better than circulating the water in the wood boiler (the natural draft in the chimney flue would increase losses)

Like Dirk, I recommend using a buffer tank, which will prevent the oil boiler from turning when you are not there to reload the wood.

Take a look at this, he talks about several solutions:

https://www.econologie.com/forums/installation-d-un-poele-bouilleur-en-avec-une-chaudiere-t11542.html

A+
0 x