Recovery of firedamp

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Recovery of firedamp

by elephant » 14/03/13, 09:54

the Belgian billionaire (shareholder of Suez) Albert Frère wants to embark on the recovery of coal gas (the infamous "firedamp", ie methane)

http://www.lavenir.net/article/detail.a ... 4_00281999

Is this technology as alluring as for shale gas?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/03/13, 14:49

shale gas is not dangerous in principle: if we just dig tunnels like coal mines and wait for the firedamp to come out there would be no pollution

the problem is that the firedamp comes out too slowly ... digging tunnels just for gas is not profitable

when the tunnels have paid for themselves to get out the coal, then using them to capture the firedamp is a way to get a little more out of the exhausted mine

the problem is that the mines were strongly ventilated to avoid the excess of firedamp and to allow to breathe ... we recover firedamp full of air ... quite complicated to sort out to make pure methane

it is a shame to have plugged up many exhausted mines ... at the time there was no good method for sorting methane mixed with air ... and the price of energy was lower. .. now it might be worth drilling to recover the firedamp

but no illusion: all the mines that were below the water level will give nothing: the capilarity blocks the methane in the rock: it only comes out when you pump to dig in the dry: as the dry rock the firedamp comes out

to capture the methane from the old flooded mine, we would have to start pumping the water as when it was exploited ... I am afraid that the pumping costs do not cover the price of methane

the other solution is to circulate in the water that floods the mine with detergents and chemicals to break the capillarity blocking the gas ... and we fall back into the problem of gas
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Recovery of firedamp

by moinsdewatt » 14/03/13, 19:41

Usine Nouvelle from Jan 10, 2013
0 x
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 14/03/13, 20:19

Hi,

From what I read, grisou gas can actually be extracted with less collateral damage than shale gas, but the problem is not there for me. I see with sadness and disillusionment that the lessons are useless, we leave for decades to scratch the bottom of the pot of fossil fuels.

cordially
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/03/13, 20:52

recovering the firedamp is a good thing: it will come out of the ground anyway very slowly just to make the greenhouse effect ... it is better to use it than to let it lose
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by oli 80 » 14/03/13, 21:07

Good evening, with us we had a disaster, a stroke of firedamp on February 25, 1985 which made 22 dead at the Simon well, I leave you the thankless task of doing research on it if that interests you, I will not chew you job

the grisou is used for collective heating for cities and operated electric power stations, yes the coal basin of lorraine knew how to use all energies, which allowed us to be autonomous, these power stations supplied the mine and were used in case of EDF power cuts to supply major structures (hospitals, town halls, public lighting, etc.)
0 x
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 14/03/13, 22:06

Hi,

recovering the firedamp is a good thing: it will come out of the ground anyway very slowly just to make the greenhouse effect ... it is better to use it than to let it lose

Yes, many gases are able to come out of the ground spontaneously but what matters is the extraction time. Letting the coal gas escape naturally over several millennia or even millions of years and abruptly extracting it in a few decades, there is a big difference (in terms of global warming).

cordially
0 x