Maize Starch: biodegradability testing of a pen

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/11/09, 13:45

I found the pen: he has not moved an inch!

There's a bug somewhere ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/11/09, 16:42

Well, I fall on it for the first time.

As with other subjects ("ecological heating"), we once again suffer from a lack of clarity in the concepts:

- a plastic made from corn may not be "biodegradable"; it is only that the raw material used is not a hydrocarbon (fossil) but a derivative of starch (renewable resource), which polymerizes; I would have to immerse myself in old old courses to find the formulas ... As one of the first plastics was a derivative of casein (therefore milk); after polymerization, it is obvious that the bacteria which fed on corn did not necessarily want to feed on polymer

- conclusion, for the manufacturer, it is sufficient to qualify this styloe "of ecolo" or "green" (it seems to me to have read a "grenn ... something"); and this is not a lie

- indeed, plastics are destroyed more by UV rays than by "bio" (life, bacteria therefore); even those from petroleum ...

- I did not know the term "oxodegradable", but before criticizing it, I find that it is rather a conceptual clarification precisely compared to "biodegradable"

- moreover, this gives an indication of the conditions under which this is done: biodegradable (by bacteria, microorganisms in general - there are also molds = fungi, etc.): necessarily in a humid environment, but not " flooded ": a close observation will make you notice that the wooden poles planted in a lake" break "at the water level; below, it does not "biodegrade" much (lack of air); above, dry, not either (lack of water); therefore "biodegradable" = not good for garbage cans !!!

oxodegradable, therefore = is broken by oxygen; a priori, in dry air

AND "green", or "green" or "green", leave that to marketing. It is "cream pie" if we do not specify. Besides, you still know a single product that is not ???? Even the plants since they are sold because they purify the air !!! (what a discovery !!!!). My god, we live in a world ... Our society is sick, and this is also true in the psychiatric sense of the term.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/01/13, 13:57

unearthing :)

Did67 wrote:- a plastic made from corn may not be "biodegradable"; it is only that the raw material used is not a hydrocarbon (fossil) but a derivative of starch (renewable resource), which polymerizes; I would have to immerse myself in old old courses to find the formulas ... As one of the first plastics was a derivative of casein (therefore milk); after polymerization, it is obvious that the bacteria which fed on corn did not necessarily want to feed on polymer

Absolutely, except that on this one it says above ...

0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 21/01/13, 14:09

You try to eat the pieces and see if you found them remains in your stool .. : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: If you die occlusion we will complain nearby manufacturer ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/01/13, 14:22

Still as late this Macro!

I swallow ... if you do the search : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 21/01/13, 14:38

By cutting enough angular pieces .. You should know it without having to search ... Ouch!

And then finesse question..OK I wrote "eat" but I messed up using the word "saddles" ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/01/13, 14:48

It's true there is progress ... : Cheesy:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 21/01/13, 16:31

has what's the point of making a biodegradable pen!

if it were really biodegradable it would mean that it would be of poor quality, that it would become unusable before having served fully

the right plastic must be durable to serve until the end, and even be recuperable to do something else

good quality, is to be entirely plastic has conbustion own ... to get rid of it is put with firewood

it is therefore sufficient to avoid PVC and other plastics can be considered as fuel

whether for use as fuel or for recycling, it is necessary that the plastic is durable ... it does not fall into ruin if stored in moisture: too biodegradable plastic material might rot storage plastic is recycled ... and complicate recycling
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/01/13, 16:38

As said in the other subject (and can be higher in this) all depends on the conditions and biodegradability times ...

Everything (even nuclear waste) is "bio" degradable (in the sense that the waste is no longer dangerous) ... if we place ourselves on a large enough scale ...

For the pen must be no doubts that the conditions I have not met ... in any case I had done everything to (+ humidity + heat compost bacteria) ..

QED
0 x

Back to "waste, recycling and reuse of old objects"