New fuel: Air Fuel Synthesis, air capture

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

New fuel: Air Fuel Synthesis, air capture

by the middle » 24/10/12, 18:03

Seems it's not a joke, make a gasoline with air : Cheesy:

The Telegraph reports that a company in the North of England, Air Fuel Synthesis, has just developed a technology called "air capture" which allows to create a synthetic fuel with air and electricity, and according to experts, this discovery could completely change the situation in terms of availability of energy resources.

http://www.express.be/business/?action= ... anguage=fr
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/10/12, 18:13

Pouted but ....

Ah these journalists ... the 2nd paragraph makes immediately ... less dream ...

Researchers have mixed caustic soda with carbon dioxide, and got sodium carbonate from it. They then subjected electrolysis to this sodium carbonate, which generated pure carbon dioxide. To produce hydrogen, they electrolyzed the water obtained from the water vapor recovered using a dehumidifier. By mixing these two products, they obtained methanol which they passed through a catalyst to produce fuel.

Already, I believe that we can make a gas permeation to extract CO2 from the air ... then I do not believe that caustic soda is in the air.

Obviously there is no overall energy efficiency figure for the process ... I think it is not very high ...

I think there is much more to be expected micro algae : https://www.econologie.com/forums/microalgue ... 10514.html (among others) because they already make oil at $ 40 a barrel equivalent ...

So this sentence amuses me a little:

You are in a market where the only prospect is the increase in the price of fossil oil. At a certain point, the curves will cross and our fuel will become the cheapest

But it is on that the journalists like this kind of information ...
Last edited by Christophe the 24 / 10 / 12, 18: 17, 1 edited once.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 24/10/12, 18:15

She is really nice ! they electrolyse water, but since this water comes from a dehumidifier, this water comes from air ... so their fuel is made with air
that water comes from the humidity of the air or the tap when we electrolyze to make hydrogen the energy comes from electricity not water or air

the first part of their story to make CO2 could work, but is completely irrelevant

the second part could be the synthesis of fischer tropsh which makes good methanol but from CO and hydrogen: it takes carbon monoxide not CO2
0 x
BobFuck
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by BobFuck » 24/10/12, 21:18

It's shadock to death.

That said, the concept is interesting: hydrogen is a green fantasy, in real life it is impractical. Even if it means producing fuel from renewable energies (sun, heat), you might as well look for an easy-to-use and non-polluting fuel, such as methane, propane, etc. ... or even better a liquid fuel ...

It will be useful when we have finished our shale gas reserves : Mrgreen:
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 24/10/12, 21:56

The journalists of the Express are as stupid as those of the Figaro. They would do well to have their articles proofread internally by a scientist.
On Liberation they do not lay this kind of stupid article.

The British are already having problems with their electricity production, which is going to be reduced due to the closure of nuclear power plants, and plans for new nuclear power plants which are not happening.
Because it is electricity that provides energy for the chemical transformations mentioned.

and then, as said above, it is stupid to get CO2 at 380 ppm from the air. The English have coal-fired power plants, that's where you have to capture CO2.
0 x
BobFuck
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by BobFuck » 24/10/12, 22:28

moinsdewatt wrote:On Liberation they do not lay this kind of stupid article.

Ah ah ah.

I would tend to say that the French press is uniform in stupidity.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 24/10/12, 22:34

they say mixing CO2 and hydrogen with a catalyst ... it's stupid

CO and hydrogen are needed!
0 x