"The harvests of the future"

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

"The harvests of the future"

by Ahmed » 20/10/12, 22:35

Like many of you (?), I watched the documentary by Marie-monique robin with interest; I am astonished that no thread appeared on this subject, this is why I feel obliged to remedy this gap! ... 8)
I would like to know your feelings about the film, as well as the debate that followed ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 20/10/12, 23:31

Huge !

I don't know why, but I had already seen this documentary long before it was broadcast on ARTE ... (on TV5?). We would therefore be moving towards crops with a favorable ecological balance all over the planet, without being a utopia! Some even question public authorities (it is high time ...). See who insist on suppressing any use of synthetic molecules!

I had also taken examples to illustrate what I said in this forum, especially with regard to animal husbandry (monoculture VS self-sufficiency in polyculture without any recourse to chemistry, the example of Bolivia it seems to me and also in Africa and elsewhere ...). And which demonstrates with certainty thanks to this study from an American University, that we are even "better" in terms of performance "without chemistry" ... Unquestionably a way of the future (example that I should have added to my extension wire lol .... : Cheesy: sorry, thank you for the encouragement, but i still have to learn to make it "short", it is not given to everyone to get there right away, but i am working on it, ahahahahahaha)

Of course this “world tour” of econology left me on my ... hunger! But I did agree with a good number of speakers (and not at all agree with others, necessarily ^^).

For once that we listen to the actors of agriculture in the rural world and that we seek to establish correlations in this way ... I want more! ;)

[Edit 23:51] like, it's even already on YouTyoube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qX0KHYBum8
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/10/12, 13:30

Of course this “world tour” of econology left me on my ... hunger!

The report of MM Robin was not intended to be exhaustive, however I learned from it things that I did not know (which is quite rare on the questions that interest me, since I generally do not wait for the news from TV. .).

The word "econology", which I never used, because it is a very questionable concept, is not very appropriate to designate the various examples included in the film: on the contrary, what one sees most remarkable, this are functional achievements of food self-sufficiency, certainly with the resale of surplus production *, but not the reconciliation of economy and ecology. Or, we must understand "economy" in a sense different from the usual sense, probably the original sense **.

In the debate (which I only followed very partially) it was a question of the political aspect as a brake on the development of these agricultural practices: I regretted that allusion was only made to reluctance (to say the least!) and that the politically emancipatory nature of this agriculture is not more emphasized ...
At the same time, it is easy to understand that the evolution towards ecological farming is only tolerated, as long as it remains kindly in its place and in its role of sex-hide of predatory agriculture.

You are under no obligation to be concise, a long and clear development, it suits me too! 8)

* Very classic formula of the pre-capitalist economy: the activity (and not the work) is directed mainly towards the self-sufficiency and the surplus is exchanged (via the money or not) against what is not produced on the farm.
** For the ancient Greeks who coined the word, economy applies to the management of the house, in the broad sense.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 21/10/12, 13:40

It is a very good documentary (as usual with Marie-Monique Robin).
However, I did not wait for this documentary to be convinced by natural or organic farming, or whatever.
The work of Claude Bourguignon on the question are very clear: the agriculture of the future will be organic or we will have to prepare for the worst!

Ahmed wrote:

At the same time, it is easy to understand that the evolution towards ecological farming is only tolerated, as long as it remains kindly in its place and in its role of sex-hide of predatory agriculture.

As with nature reserves, organic farming is a guarantee of good conscience for the system ... without preventing planetary looting.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Aumicron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Aumicron » 21/10/12, 16:24

A good breath of fresh air this documentary. It is nice to see lasting solutions implemented in the field by producers. Very often, documentaries are charged but there are few solutions applied in return. There, the solutions are clear, the results palpable and this on several continents.

I hope with all my heart that it will raise many awareness among farmers especially in France and also among consumers.
0 x
To argue.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/10/12, 18:11

Aumicron, I fully share your pleasure; it is true that the presentation of practical solutions is likely to make as many people as possible understand that organic farming is not just a sweet dream of baba cool follower of the "smoke", as too often seek to present it the media.
However, the fact remains that (and this is more difficult to transcribe into a documentary) that the problems of food self-sufficiency and soil preservation are not technical solutions, but above all considerations of political order (in the non-political sense of the term) and ethics.
Otherwise, we risk reducing this emancipatory approach to a simple catalog of sympathetic and more or less exotic tips.
0 x