A PC for my daughter

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Former Oceano

A PC for my daughter

by Former Oceano » 18/01/10, 23:24

My daughter, 6 years old, follows in her father's footsteps. Except that instead of starting IT 31 years ago at the age of 14 1/2, it started at the age of 2 years.
It has its educational and fun games installed on our laptops and on the tower. But the tower pumps more energy than a laptop.
A very good friend gave his father his cell phone a while ago. But the laptop was crushed under a suitcase, and between the suitcase and the laptop there was a mouse that turned the screen into a pretty Picasso painting.
Knowing that the object was going to end up in the trash, I asked him to give it to me for my daughter.

As before I had several laps, including 2 replaced by our 2 laptops, I had a TFT screen rabe.

Go to work. Disassemble everything to remove the broken screen, detach the WiFi antenna from the cover (they are glued behind the LCD panel) and keep only the lower part containing the motherboard, the keyboard, the hard drive and the DVD player.

Here is the puzzle on the sofa:

Well, the slab is completely cracked and it is beyond repair. In addition, as it is a 17 inch, it is worth more than 300 € to have a replacement. So I stay on the idea of ​​the TFT screen and the bottom of the laptop as a complete central unit in low consumption (Pentium Mobile 1,7 GHz, 100 GB HDD, 2,5 GB RAM, DVD / CD burner, Wifi , 3 USB, Firewire, modem and Ethernet network).

Well we discard what is screwed up and we reassemble everything. Nice, I have lots of reusable screws on other PCs ...

And the result for my delighted daughter:

All in low consumption for my 6 year old daughter, top right?

It reminds me of my adolescence where we plugged our Apple] [, TO7, Oric, Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81, TI99 etc ... on our televisions.
There it is the same, the small box connected to a monitor.
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 19/01/10, 08:54

Note, for those who would do the same mosaic with their laptop screen:

In most cases (laptops with 16: 9 panel), you don't have to order the same panel number, which costs a lot of money. Any slab of the same size will do!

I do it for my clients ...

So, go to the classifieds, find a broken down laptop (to have even more luck that it works, take a pc of the same brand, approaching model)

It's 2 laptops to dismantle, but it costs less than buying a tile!

The technique used there, putting an external tft without a laptop screen, does not work every time either. Some video controllers refusing to switch to exclusively external mode ...

in any case, when it works it's ideal (I have one like that too)
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 19/01/10, 12:59

I am more on the possibility of buying another PC which can be used as spare parts. But the goal being to make 0 € and having a TFT available I preferred this operation.
The compatible panel is also available but it was not worth the cost, the goal being to have a PC for it to play.

It should be generalized a bit because many people throw their laptop away when it has a problem (HS keyboard - a USB keyboard can be set / HS pad - a USB mouse can connect / HS screen - an external TFT can, if the card video allows, be put).

If a friend throws his own, intercept the thing to give him a second life goes in the direction of ecology.

For example in the second machine, or for a child (there it is my friend who gave it to my daughter saying that it was broken but that I was going to repair it but that it was for her-the same gift broken therefore has a big value for the child), a file server, DHCP, a PC continuous data recorder (T ° of boiler, etc) etc ...

I recall that compared to a tower the consumption of a laptop is much lower.

When the battery still holds a little, this allows you not to lose your work during micro-cuts or to put it to sleep by pressing the appropriate button (since there is no longer a folding screen in this case). So no inverter to buy in addition, especially if you use it as a file server or data logger ...
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
EcoloDingo
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by EcoloDingo » 27/09/11, 10:11

The idea is just great!
By cons, approximately how long to arrive at this result?
Do you have to be a good handyman or do you need some knowledge of the tool?
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 27/09/11, 13:15

Connecting a TGA or VGA auxiliary LCD screen to the VGA socket on a laptop takes a second !!!
With much better vision !!
0 x
RV-P
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by RV-P » 14/10/12, 18:11

- Interesting, very interesting! This is how I tested laptops with a broken screen, but then I still bought the screen screens on the Internet, but 15,4 "!
- For my own turn, I did more "sioux" : Idea: : I completely "zapped" the power supply to the screen, which was a separate model from the 19 "4/3" Infinity "brand monitor (same screen as the 19" Nortek "4/3), and j I "transplanted" the monitor power supply to ... the tower power supply, which provides 12V, of course by checking the available power!
- Suddenly, I do not even use the on / off button on the screen since it turns on or off at the same time as the PC!
- It goes without saying that if the power supply of the screen is a PS / 2 socket like that of a keyboard or a mouse, it also works: it is enough to recover the socket of a deceased mouse or an HS keyboard and connect the + 12V, the + 5V and the ground, pinout being often indicated on the power supply of the screen!
** For those who still want to replace the screen tile: please note the reference of the tile indicated on a white label behind and order the same! **
- Hey, Ex-océano: think of recovering the inverter (the converter for lighting the screen) and the small CFL tube in the broken screen: it can still be used!
- @ +!
0 x
It's easier to just make things complicated than complicate simple things!
RV-P
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by RV-P » 14/10/12, 19:55

http://www.priceminister.com/nav/Informatique_Ecran/kw/Dalle+17
- There, you can find inexpensive 17 "tiles, even new!
- Look at the reference and type it in the search field at the beginning of the site page (well, if you want to change the screen!)!
- @ +!
0 x
It's easier to just make things complicated than complicate simple things!