Kinetic energy of the sea

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
nanook
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Kinetic energy of the sea

by nanook » 23/03/10, 05:36

Hello,

I did a lot of research on a subject that I heard about a long time ago, but no way to find an answer, this says my research bring me to this site that I find very nice. So finally I decided to settle down here.

I have heard of and even of realization of a kind of water dam (difficult to define the terms really usable for that) in the seas.

At least the movement of tides used in dams which generated a significant amount of energy to create ecological or at least renewable electrical energy.

So my goal of research is simply to have information on the sites to use, if it is still current (because there were corrosion problems due to sea salt of course) and in other to have a power value of this production

Thank you in advance
Nanook
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/03/10, 09:53

The potential of tidal energy is quite limited because favorable places are very rare, it is not for nothing that the rancid factory is the only one in the world.

It is not moreover kinetic energy but potential energy regourably speaking. It is also the only energy used by humanity that is not solar (direct or indirect) depending on whether nuclear is considered indirect solar or not. All the others (gas, oil, coal, hydraulic, wind power ...) are indirect solar.

On the other hand, the kinetic energy of the sea is very interesting, the projects are very numerous, the one that attracted me the most is that of wavegen

If you are interested in the energy of the sea, also have a look ETM: thermal energy of the seas
0 x
nanook
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by nanook » 23/03/10, 13:03

Thank you for this info, it even allowed me to find another installation using the energy of the sea (or more exactly waves)
http://www.waoline.us/science/NewEnergy ... rLinks.htm

And as far as glaciers are concerned, I had heard of an achievement that allowed the movement of glaciers to be used to extract "kinetic" energy (that must be the right word).

Ditto impossible to find information above, activity site, website or other.
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 23/03/10, 17:07

Just to complete:

nanook wrote:At least the movement of tides used in dams which generated a significant energy to create electrical energy ecological industrial printing process or at least renewable.

"ecological" is, as often, subject to caveats: a tidal power plant modifies the ecosystem in a significant way.
The flora and fauna are obviously disturbed, but also the flow of water, which can cause alluvial deposits in the wrong places.

The most ecological energy is the one that we do not consume 8)
0 x
Solar Production + VE + VAE = short cycle electricity
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 04/05/12, 11:46

New Factory of April 26, 2012
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 04/05/12, 12:25

Factory tidal stream of the Rance has been walking for over 45 years !!!

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usine_mar% ... e_la_Rance
The tidal power plant is the main source of electricity in Brittany (around 60% of total electricity production in 2009). It thus contributes to reducing the energy deficit in this region (Brittany consumed around 20 GWh / year in 000).

Electricity production is 500 GWh / year (ie an average power density of 2,6 W / m²), for an installed capacity of 240 MW. The availability factor of the installation is approximately 25%, a rate which is linked to the periodicity and the amplitude of the tides. The cost of electricity production is estimated at 12 euro cents per kWh

Transforming the ecosystem of the Rance, the dam is responsible for its gradual silting. The sand lance and plaice have disappeared, but sea bass and "morgate" or "margate" 8 (cuttlefish) are moving up the river again. In fact the fauna has completely changed since the smaller and faster species constitute the major part of the fauna, their liveliness allows them to pass through the propellers of the dam, something impossible for the slower “noble” species.

Despite this, a sea calf has managed to cross the dam, through the lock or the bulb groups, and has resided since 2001 in the Mordreuc sector, despite the multiple attempts of the veterinarians of Oceanopolis to reintroduce it into its original environment. . He was joined in 2006 by a small porpoise who took up residence near Jouvente.

We also note the presence of species of fish such as sea bream (gray and royal), mullet (lippus and golden), rays (curly and flowery), yellow pollack, old and even for a few years small sars

The Rance dam loses 1% of its capacity per year due to the siltation it causes10. The siltation is so important that it threatens the seaworthiness of the Rance11. The accumulations of silt transformed the white sand beaches into mudflats12. They are covered with a thick layer of mud up to 3 m

We recover the energy of the earth's rotation in these tides, slowing the earth a little more and moving the moon a little further away which recovers part of the earth's rotation as well, by delaying the tides on the attraction of the moon.

Siltation could be avoided, with simple propeller modules submerged in the current of this type, without dam or change anything in the configuration of the estuary.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 04/05/12, 13:11

There is also the PELAMIS wawe power:

http://www.pelamiswave.com/
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelamis_%28%C3%A9lectricit%C3%A9%29.

A sort of floating metallic sea serpent recovering the kinetic energy of the swell, its nominal power is 750kW.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 28/06/12, 13:04

Siemens wants to believe in harnessing tidal energy

Siemens completed in the first quarter of 1 a transaction to hold a majority stake in Marine Current Turbines, a company based in Bristol, UK, specializing in the design and manufacture of tidal turbines.

"The acquisition of Marine Current Turbines is an important step for the Solar & Hydro Division", explained Ted Scheidegger, CEO of the Solar & Hydro Division of the Energy Sector of Siemens. “We intend to continue to promote the commercial development of this promising technology which uses the energy of tidal currents, by definition predictable. The aim is to secure a leadership position in this promising sector. "

Marine Current Turbines remains a pioneer company which today holds the role of technological leader in the field of tidal turbines. In November 2011, Siemens increased its stake in this company to 45% before finalizing its acquisition.

According to experts, this marine energy sector considered to be a reliable source of energy is expected to register double-digit annual growth until 2020. The global potential for energy production in tidal power plants is estimated at 800 terawatt-hours (TWh) per year, which exceeds Germany's total electricity demand by around 25% and represents between 3 and 4% of global electricity consumption.

The coastline of countries such as the United Kingdom, Canada and France or regions such as East Asia offers immense potential for the exploitation of this technology.

Marine Current Turbines (MCT) has already successfully implemented a commercial scale demonstration project with SeaGen in Strangford Lough, Northern Ireland. Since November 2008, two axial turbines with a total capacity of 1,2 MW already supply 1 homes with electricity.

To date, SeaGen has already injected more than 3 GWh of electricity into the network. In terms of electricity production, it is the largest tidal energy exploitation site to date.

Other projects are in the pipeline, such as the Kyle Rhea project (8 MW) in Scotland and Anglesey Skerries (10 MW) in Wales. “The acquisition of MCT by Siemens has been very well received by employees and management, it shows great confidence in the performance of the company in recent years,” said Andrew Tyler, CEO of MCT.

Tidal turbines generate electricity from the energy of the tides. The SeaGen turbine is attached to a mast and moves freely thanks to the ebb and flow of water. The technology used is similar to that of a wind turbine, except that the rotor blades are not driven by the wind but by tidal currents. Water has an energy flow density 800 times that of wind. The two twin rotors of the SeaGen are driven by the movement of the water and feature 180-degree blades that optimally follow the direction and speed of the sea current. One of the major advantages of tidal energy is that it allows for reliable planning of electricity production, depending on the tidal cycle.

http://www.enerzine.com/7/14152+siemens ... rice+.html
0 x