Add insulated chimney inspection hatch with vermiculite

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
CJC
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Add insulated chimney inspection hatch with vermiculite

by CJC » 07/11/11, 10:39

Hello,

I just installed a wood insert.
I noticed that there was no hatch for sweeping in the attic. :frown:

The problem is that the chimney was insulated with vermiculite.

Is it possible to install an inspection hatch for a chimney insulated with vermiculite?
If you pierce the wall around the chimney, won't the vermiculite run the risk of flowing? : Cry:

Thank you in advance for your answers.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 07/11/11, 13:01

Very usual, like at my home, without hatch.
Sweep from below often and from above on the roof less often !!!
With tubing highly recommended by the pros currently, the hatch is impossible !!

On the roof, attach yourself seriously, with a harness and mountaineer ropes to the chimney, which pros, chimney sweeps or roofers never do, with serious injuries and sometimes deaths !!
0 x
CJC
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by CJC » 07/11/11, 13:49

Ok, but there are several problems:

- ramble from the top, probably the best, but my chimney protrudes more than 2 meters from the roof, strongly sloping. I would like to clean my chimney myself between two passages of a professional and I do not feel the soul of a mountaineer. :D

- picking up from the bottom is almost impossible: departure from the 20 mm diameter stainless steel tubing insert: and the rest of the chimney is a 20 x 20 square wooden duct. It is therefore impossible for me to pass with a section of 20 X 20 in my 20 diameter tubing.

This is why, I would like to add a hatch in order to be able to pick up the upper part from above and the lower part from below.

Hence my question.

If someone has an idea ?
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 07/11/11, 14:01

Answer by most of the pros: tub the 20x20 in a row and they usually do it in their quotes, because imposed by their liability insurance !!!!

Or sweep with round bottle brush from diameter 20 and for hours, with this bottle brush, scrape vigorously and turning in all directions by going back and forth from 1 to 3m very numerous to scrape the square 20x20 in all corners, until that nothing more falls !!!

Finally, trying to dismantle the 20cm casing above the insert, with access hatch, is best !!!

Request quotes from pros to see their different reactions and exact standards imposed by their insurance !!
0 x