Over lighting, light pollution, biodiversity and health

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Over lighting, light pollution, biodiversity and health

by Christophe » 17/08/11, 20:19

The dark evil of overlighting

Energy expenditure, health problems ... Over-lighting is also responsible for the disappearance of insect species, thus disrupting the entire food chain.

Despite the energy saving recommendations, many municipalities seem to be launching into a bidding for light. To justify this unprecedented push of streetlights, many do not hesitate to put forward purely aesthetic arguments coupled with a concern for security, the effectiveness of which has never been demonstrated… In ten years the number of light points has increased 30% in France, contributing to both the waste of energy and the increase in light pollution. Because the thousands of lamps lit in big cities can be perceived thousands, even tens of thousands of kilometers. While our nights are becoming more and more like days, public artificial lighting causes 37% of the electricity expenditure of municipalities, or € 7,1 per inhabitant per year on average. According to Ademe, 9 million lamps are used to light French cities and countryside, consuming 5,6 terawatt hours (TWh), the equivalent of the annual production of a nuclear reactor.

Disrupted biological clock

The most noticeable consequence of this increase in light sources is the disturbance caused to our sleep. Researchers took a closer look at this subject some ten years ago. They were interested in the influence of the light / dark alternation on the biological rhythm and on the secretion of melatonin. Anti-aging, stabilizer of the tension, maintenance of the libido, brake on the development of the tumors…: the benefits of this hormone, also called “sleep hormone”, would be multiple. However, under the effect of artificial light, the epiphysis (small gland located in the brain) decreases the production of this substance. The Ministry of Ecology and Sustainable Development mentions, in a bill relating to the Grenelle Environment Forum, that "this prolonged exposure to artificial light" would be responsible for "glare, sleep disturbances and possible factor d incidence of cancer. "

Wildlife in danger

Our nights and our health are not the only ones endangered by this race for public lighting. Many animal species are also disturbed by this artificial light, starting with nocturnal insects and pollinators which become easy prey for their predators. In these species, light pollution is the second cause of death after phytosanitary products. However, the pollination of plants and all the species which depend on these insects for food being affected by it, it is the whole food chain which is ultimately disturbed. Migratory birds that use the stars to guide them are disoriented, while others hit buildings or lighted towers. Light is also a handicap for other nocturnal animals such as bats and certain raptors. Experiments have shown that frogs can no longer differentiate prey from predators. This modification of the day / night alternation destabilizes the biological rhythm of many species, including that of mammals, causing a decline in reproduction, difficulty in eating, increased vulnerability and therefore an increase in mortality. Consequences that prove to be a threat to biodiversity.

A bright idea

In January 2011, the National Association for the Protection of the Sky and the Night Environment (ANPCEN) certified 64 French municipalities which have reduced their light pollution. This free contest, open to all the municipalities of France, aims to promote the quality of the night environment as well as to encourage energy savings and therefore the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and the reduction of "Unnecessary public costs. "

Invisible stars

Light pollution is widely denounced by the astronomical community, because it considerably hinders the observation of the sky. Especially since most of the streetlights do not only light the ground but the sky! These luminous halos which progress of approximately 5% per year in Europe mask today the vision of the Milky Way and 90% of the stars in the metropolises. In 1992, in the Bill of Rights for future generations, Unesco devoted a specific section to the law and to the conservation of the sky and its purity.

Projects

• Environment and energy management agency, public establishment.
• Article 36 Grenelle 1 adopted on October 21, 2008
http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.f ... -de-l.html

Mr. Vanhamme

Source: http://magazines.republicain-lorrain.fr ... irage.html
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 17/08/11, 20:48

In my village, the lighting is such that it is difficult to see the stars correctly, in the inhabited area this is still understandable, but in the ZI it is completely stupid.
On the other hand, in a neighboring village, the public lighting is cut from 23 p.m. to 05 a.m., nationwide, this kind of initiative could save a lot of energy.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
jean.caissepas
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by jean.caissepas » 18/08/11, 00:44

sen-no-sen wrote:On the other hand, in a neighboring village, the public lighting is cut from 23 p.m. to 05 a.m., nationwide, this kind of initiative could save a lot of energy.

I worked around 1990 in a nuclear power plant, and I asked them what they were doing with the electricity they produced at night: They can only reduce electricity production by 10% of the reactor without the chain reaction is disrupted.

The initial and emergency solution (in the event of a power cut in the network at the output of the power plant) is to "burn" the electricity not consumed in enormous overhead resistors on the 400.000 volt lines (I saw them blushing one evening after to a cutout outside the control unit).

Why "burn" this electricity?
To avoid the negative effects of too high resistance at the output of the alternator (1,3GW / h), which causes mechanical stress on the alternator and also on the 40m of the transmission shaft between the turbine and the alternator (hence the risk of premature wear, vibrations or others which would also harm the safety of the installation).

The enarques of EDF preferred to offer the municipalities very low rates for public lighting in order to make a little profit of this electricity at night (except winter) who do not know what to do for the moment, except to pump water from dams towards the retention basin.
A condition had been imposed by EDF: They can shut off public lighting remotely in the event of peak consumption.
The state has also encouraged municipalities to increase public lighting for "security" ...

This will only change when more battery electric vehicles need to be recharged and there are more frequent peaks in consumption, or when EDF has found a way to store hundreds of GW / h.
0 x
Past habits must change,
because the future must not die.
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/08/11, 09:14

For yesterday, the Edf RTE DAY / NIGHT power difference was 50 to 35 GW, i.e. an edf power modulation of 30%.

These are the estimated consumption figures, not production, so we need to correct for imports / exports.

At 4am, low peak: 9GW of export
At noon, high peak: 5 GW of export

"Real" modulation: 55/44 or 20%

The available "margin" is close to 6 GW, I imagine that is the easily accessible power reserve.

Figures taken from the "edf rte dashboard" in real time: http://fondation.rte-france.com/lang/fr ... e_bord.jsp

Found on: https://www.econologie.com/forums/tableau-de ... 10960.html
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 18/08/11, 11:18

jean.caissepas wrote:
I worked around 1990 in a nuclear power plant, and I asked them what they were doing with the electricity they produced at night: They can only reduce electricity production by 10% of the reactor without the chain reaction is not disturbed. (...)

Thank you for all his details, however it seems to me that he could make some efforts in winter, when demand is very strong.
As you mentioned, only pumped storage represents a storage solution, with the development of wind power, new STEPs should emerge.
Still, it is painful not to be able to observe the stars correctly!
: Evil:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/08/11, 11:48

Yes, but it's not just the lighting that matters for stargazing.

With us (small village) the street is lit all the time. However on a clear night, in the garden you can see as well as in the Vosges or the Alps which are very far from the sources of light pollution ...

Under these conditions, the milky way is visible within 100 m of a lamppost.

Otherwise, in Belgium the highways were (are) lit for the same reasons of maintaining / making the "nuclear charge" profitable, currently certain portions are cut off during part of the night (which must disturb some Belgian drivers). , it's true that you get used to it quickly!) ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 18/08/11, 11:49

So by keeping my incandescent red light bulbs I help EDF to distill its night consumption peaks ...
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 18/08/11, 12:37

Macro wrote:So by keeping my incandescent red light bulbs I help EDF to distill its night consumption peaks ...

Absolutely!
And I who turn off the lights when I leave a room, bad habits last a lifetime! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/08/11, 12:40

Same with me when I cut my sleep!

Rahhh what a bunch of polluters these econologists! : Mrgreen:
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"