Bullerjan wood stove + VMC DF + MOB type BBC

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
eul'touk
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Bullerjan wood stove + VMC DF + MOB type BBC

by eul'touk » 31/05/11, 16:55

Hello,
I want to heat my house (under construction) with a Bullerjan stove.

Footnotes : I want to heat myself with wooden logs to keep a certain autonomy :-)

This house is in wooden frame, insulated from the inside with cellulose wadding (14cm) and wood fiber (4cm) and waterproof (Par vapor).
The house is equipped with a VMC DF with exchanger at 90% theoretical efficiency.
The house faces south with large picture windows and transoms (about 13 m² opening onto the living room) + French window for the bedrooms. There is very little opening in the North (0,7 m² of windows).
The total volume of the house is 280 m3

I finally come to my questions:
- Is the Bullerjan compatible with a BBC type house (convection stove)?
- Air intake must be outside or inside the house (Problem with VMC DF maybe)?
- What model and power (6 kWh or 11 kWh) do you recommend?
in advance thank you for your answer!
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 01/06/11, 00:20

For a BBC house very well insulated with VMC DF, therefore at less than 50KWh / m2 or more than 4 times less than the houses of 40 years ago, the heating must be 4 times less powerful.
Except an old house of about 120m2 needed around 25KW max of power and therefore the BBC 4 times less should be well heated with 6 KW of power. If the house is not very high in the cold.

Otherwise the air inlets for a stove have two very different functions:

air for combustion towards the hearth and which ends up towards the chimney with the fumes. In principle it must come from the outside and on an independent circuit, it should not disturb the VMC DF.
except when you open the fireplace door, which lasts a short time, but can introduce smoke if the interior of the house is depressed compared to the exterior (unlikely).
But the stove must be designed to have this special combustion air intake.

heating air through the exchanger which can come from the inside and come out inside and even with a circulator in the different rooms, which I recommend, to heat these rooms faster (like I have at home).
Being completely interior, it should not disturb the double flow VMC.

But for this, it is essential that no indoor air is used for combustion and sent into the chimney (equivalent to an air leak for sealing the BBC house) and therefore it is necessary that your stove is waterproof for its fireplace and its combustion air supply.
I do not know if your stove meets this need which is rarely satisfied, but at first glance it does not.

Without respecting this tightness and rigorous separation of the circulation of these two airs, the VMC DF and the stove risk being very disturbed, by annoying pressure differences, on a very tight house of BBC type.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 01/06/11, 13:31

Hello!

I finally come to my questions:
- Is the Bullerjan compatible with a BBC type house (convection stove)?
- Air intake must be outside or inside the house (Problem with VMC DF maybe)?
- What model and power (6 kWh or 11 kWh) do you recommend?
in advance thank you for your answer!

-Yes

-The arrival is preferable from the outside for better combustion stability!

-6 KWh is preferable for your size of house considering the less cold climate and for a saving of wood.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 05/06/11, 20:02

In fact, to comply with the BBC standard, the stove must be airtight with respect to the indoor air, primary air intake and sweeping of the glass. Otherwise, the leak test will fail.
0 x