A boat to mine underwater minerals

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

A boat to mine underwater minerals

by freddau » 12/05/11, 11:34

Nautilus Minerals joins forces with a shipping company to build a ship necessary for the exploitation of seabed.

Nautilus Minerals, the first company to embark on commercial seabed mining exploration, has announced the formation of a strategic partnership with the German shipping company Harren & Partner. Named Vessel JV, the new joint venture will own and use a support and production vessel as an operational base to extract copper and gold ore from its Solwara 1 deposit, located in the Bismarck Sea off Papua New Guinea. -Guinea.

The ship will serve as a floating platform to remotely direct the operations of the mining equipment on the seabed about 1 meters deep. The machines will cut and collect the ore which will be pumped in the form of slurry to the boat. It will pass through a drainage center before being transferred to barges which will transport it to the treatment units.

Under the terms of the agreement, said a statement, Harren will design and build the boat at an estimated cost of $ 167 million. It should be delivered for the first half of 2013. The ship will be sold to Vessel JV, the shares of which will be held at 50,01% by Harren, Nautilus while controlling the remaining 49,99% through a holding company, 5% of which belongs to Petromin, a nationalized company from Papua New Guinea.

In addition to a significant financial contribution of $ 120 million, Harren, who has a fleet of 56 boats, will bring his expertise to the project, said Nautilus general manager Stephen Rogers. With a length of 208 m, a width of 40 m and a tonnage of 18 tonnes the ship will have a maximum speed of 800 knots. It will accommodate 17 people including 160 sailors. The necessary mining equipment, designed by the British Soil Machine Dynamics, will also be built for the first half of 30. The total capital invested in the Solwara 2013 project is now estimated at $ 1 million.

http://indices.usinenouvelle.com/actual ... arins.3683
0 x

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."