Geothermal energy and solar towers at Vortex: coupling?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
ptrem
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Geothermal energy and solar towers at Vortex: coupling?

by ptrem » 10/11/07, 10:57

We stopped extracting the ore. What if we got heat from abandoned mines in Quebec?
I have copied / pasted the text below
My thinking is as follows:

Is it profitable to couple geothermal energy with vortex towers?

Energy is recovered to produce heat drawn into the towers.

Is the depth of the mine shaft (several hundred meters) a factor in increasing the height traveled by the hot air. Depth of the mine shaft + height of the tower.
Regards
ptrem

by Joël Leblanc

February 26, 2007 - Since the XNUMXth century, geologists have known that the interior of our planet is hot. In the thickness of the mantle, sustained nuclear activity generates heat and keeps the rock at temperatures of several thousand degrees Celsius. This is a huge source of energy that humans would be well advised to exploit, according to Jasmin Raymond, a doctoral student in geology at Laval University in Quebec. "Geothermal energy is continuous, reliable and renewable," he says. Above all, it is clean because it emits no greenhouse gases. ”

In theory, it is quite simple to draw this energy from the bowels of the globe. First you need wells several hundred meters deep, because the more you sink into the earth's crust, the hotter the rocks. When water is sent to the bottom of these wells, it acquires part of this energy and heats up. It then suffices to pump this water to the surface to draw at the same time the thermal energy which it contains.

Lots of wells already exist in Quebec. "There are more than 160 mines here that are no longer in operation and that could serve as heat sources," says Jasmin Raymond. Even the smallest have their geothermal potential. ” And as a bonus, they are already full of water!

The student researcher conducted tests at the old copper mine in Murdochville, in the Gaspé Peninsula, closed since 1999. Its network of underground galleries, now flooded, sinks 600 meters deep. “In this sector of the Gaspé Peninsula, we gain 1,1 ° C for every 100 meters towards the center of the Earth. In the deepest part, the water temperature is 9 ° C, while it is 4 to 5 degrees at the surface. "

By pumping this deep water, we can extract the heat from it using heat pumps. Once its temperature has dropped to 4 degrees, we reject this water so that it seeps into the ground where it will be warmed again in depth. The heat obtained can then be used to heat homes.

Jasmin Raymond calculated what it would cost to heat all the buildings in the industrial park of the city of Murdochville, that is 14 m000 of floor space. “The energy required to pump water and extract heat from it would reach about 2 million kilowatt hours on an annual basis, or one third of the 1,1 million kWh currently required. Heating would therefore be three times cheaper, which would represent savings of $ 3 per year. ”

The researcher suspects that the abandoned mines that are sleeping in the province, and elsewhere on the planet, all offer interesting geothermal potential. Wind energy has the wind in its sails. What if we dug the geothermal sector?
0 x
we know how to produce plasma; the problem is to make the box to contain it.
the expert engineers to make this box have 100% chances of being hired to cadarache.
According to a senior CEA leader, the energy of the future is hydrogen produced with electricity. But the problem is still to contain it.
fc89
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fc89 » 10/11/07, 12:32

Hello,

By pumping this deep water, we can extract the heat from it using heat pumps. Once its temperature has dropped to 4 degrees, we reject this water so that it seeps into the ground where it will be warmed again in depth. The heat obtained can then be used to heat homes.

The depths now?
There are still some who will abuse our planet.

A+
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 11/11/07, 11:30

Geology is an interesting solution in the case where it can make it possible to revalue old mines.
But apart from this re-use of mines, it seems to me that geothermal energy, outside regions with strong volcanic activity, represents too great constraints for the installation of the system.
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 11/11/07, 17:22

fc89 wrote:The depths now?

It's not new, It was invented in the 30s many power plant projects exist in North America by taking cold water from the great lakes, in Japan in sea water and I think I remember that it provided also energy in Hawai and saves a lot of oil ... :?
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 11/11/07, 18:14

citro wrote:
fc89 wrote:The depths now?

It's not new, It was invented in the 30s many power plant projects exist in North America by taking cold water from the great lakes, in Japan in sea water and I think I remember that it provided also energy in Hawai and saves a lot of oil ... :?

Hello,
For once we can rejoice: cocorico !!
This is called the Georges CLAUDE process from the name of its inventor a good complexion French !!

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
fc89
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fc89 » 11/11/07, 18:39

Hello,

Do you know this borough of Aubrac?
This is 100% natural heating ...
http://www.chaudesaigues.com/pageLibre00010f36.html

A+
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 11/11/07, 22:07

: Arrow: Yes, in my childhood, I visited CHAUDESAIGUES (this name means warm waters).

The hot springing water has been used to heat homes for centuries.
It seemed to me that I saw one or two years ago that the mayor of the city wanted to deprive the inhabitants of this free hot water and divert it to supply a thermal complex ... : Evil:

What happened to it? :?:
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 30/03/11, 19:16

Small dusting of subject.

The idea of ​​coupling geothermal energy to a vortex tower is a great idea.

The simplest and most economical project consists in capturing the heat received in the peripheral greenhouse during the hot period through heat-transfer fluid exchangers and injecting it a few tens of meters into the ground (dry ) in order to reuse it during cold periods (context of temperate climate).

In tropical or subtropical zones, the problem no longer arises because the heat will be stored in airtight tanks filled with water at ground level.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.