My future boiler: from gas to wood ...

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 08/03/11, 15:11

dedeleco wrote:Looking at the heating body with a mirror you can see a jet of steam during operation, or even feel it with a flexible aluminum foil in front !!
There is not necessarily a "jet of steam".
The water in the heating body does not necessarily exceed 100 °, and it may be liquid water which seeps out and then evaporates outside the heating body, therefore without pressure.

dedeleco wrote:If you locate the leak, solder on the leak will remove the leak !!
In my case, the heating body had ended up deforming (a boiler over 20 years old anyway).
And to answer kumkat, yes, it changes, but if the boiler is old, it may be difficult to find (not to mention the price).
0 x
kumkat
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by kumkat » 08/03/11, 20:51

here is the beast:

looking closely, the bottom corner is slightly wet when the boiler is not running ...

the same corner seen from the inside ... rusty ...

and I think I found a new body
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/03/11, 21:14

See the Chaffoteaux boiler heaters, with a piece of copper pipe around a plate:
http://www.cath.fr/boutique/product_inf ... ts_id=1280
http://www.cath.fr/boutique/index.php?cPath=150
http://www.cath.fr/boutique/product_inf ... ts_id=1372
I think it's not difficult to DIY it with some solder !!
Copper is not wasted on these exchangers !!
and therefore we risk overheating if the water circulates badly !!
These boilers have not improved in 35 years, there was more copper on the heating body !!!
In addition, a copper pipe does not leak since it does not exceed 100 ° C as explained by gaston, since no vapor spurts out !!
I can hardly understand how he can run away, even after 35 years, unless it is a real filth !!!!
http://www.zanzibrico.com/bricolage/cha ... ia_p2.html
calydra 23 ff & heating body leak '...
good evening, this type of pot is the worst of the chaffoteaux range, too bad, it breaks the image of the brand, because the other models in terms of quality price are more or less valid .. bye this is the first boiler I have have had she already had 5 years and so I can not say if the more it leaks, change it is more on it is the same as that of nectra, centora, hyxia, calydra, elexia, g23, nexia and certainly of other chaffoteau model after 1994, ref: 1010017 around 150th does not put hot water more than 1/4 you are looking for

My pif tells me that it leaks elsewhere than on the copper tube of the heating body which never undergoes the direct gas flame !!
The joints of the heating body or elsewhere !!
Beware, it is easy to err in estimating the cause, even with a professional plumber !!
there is also :
http://www.cath.fr/boutique/product_inf ... cca4d8b4a8

Example of a galley where we change everything and it does not work anymore !!
http://www.cyberbricoleur.com/index.php ... =900354277
You have to think like a detective by not missing any clue to find the real culprit and not an innocent one !!

Looking at the pictures the plates are rusty (not the water tubes) above, and I have the impression that the water is flowing from above and rusting below ???
I have the impression that it is rusted well above, follow the rust going up to the top where the leak must be well above the heating body !!
To be seen with great care, with this principle: the water falls, flows downwards and causes rust on its path, while the leak is well above the heating body ??????????
I have the impression that the tube with water is not damaged, only the plate welded on it, because of the hot water flowing over it coming from much higher ??????? !!
Last edited by dedeleco the 08 / 03 / 11, 21: 29, 1 edited once.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/03/11, 21:27

To see this exchanger with a very low height, its performance cannot be good, and the temperature of the outgoing fumes must be high, (to be measured in situ) which sends the waste heat into the chimney !!!!
This temperature fixes the value of the yield in my opinion not good !!
0 x
kumkat
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by kumkat » 08/03/11, 21:31

good ... then program cleaning and re-tracking leaks ...

and for the yield we will wait for the next one ...
0 x
kumkat
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by kumkat » 21/03/11, 09:28

no other point of leakage found but ... the pressure drops less quickly now that the boiler runs less thanks to the milder temperatures ...
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 21/03/11, 13:19

Did you find a clear leak ?? or ??? above the boiler as the photo seems to indicate with the trace of rust which seems to descend from above the boiler ???

You have to determine the leak (s) and be careful to identify the real cause, like the red frame on your photo n ° 2 which, with sheet metal, seems to contain no pipe with water in it, if I do not not cheating on me ????.

If you found a leak, what was it ???

You have to look like a detective with the clues sometimes not very visible, which professionals don't always do, because it takes time to earn almost nothing and therefore the more they make mistakes and change a max, the more money they earn. , so I avoid them as much as possible by being careful to buy simple and safe material as much as possible while keeping the old material that I know well.
But that does not prevent that I have been ripped off sometimes, which makes me even more suspicious !!
0 x