A passive house without heating in the ardennes

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/02/11, 15:41

Very interesting and informative for a subject asleep since 2007 on econology.
A basic question:
total price of the construction and each element, particularly the Canadian well, which has what surface -marked 25m long but what surface ,.

I note that it consumes 1 / 10 from a typical 70 house !!

Have you considered heating your Canadian well in summer with solar collectors to find its heat in winter ????
http://www.dlsc.ca/borehole.htm

A fundamental practical question:
how to transform the cheapest possible a typical lonely house of more than 20 50 years (30000KWh / year) in house without heating fuel or wood ???

I note that in the first place it should be wrapped in almost 40cm of insulation, triple glazing and double VMC flow minimum!
At what price ???
Is solar heating in winter enough ??
0 x
Gilbair
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Gilbair » 08/02/11, 16:13

Goods.

The price of this renovation revolves around 1300 € / m2 TVAC (excluding architect fees).

The Canadian well: I do not have the exact price in mind. We took advantage of the machines to dig the Canadian well when they were available. So only the cost of the PE (30m) + sealing of the wall passage + inlet + filter. I do not quite understand your question on its surface. The PC is at a depth oscillating between 1 and 2m depth. It is 160 diameter PE, heat-welded fittings.

The link you mention is not a Canadian well in the usual sense of the word. They talk about drilling 35m deep, and there, I can understand the opportunity of heating in the summer (well, I would look more at the end of the season, if not that the refresh desired?) So these are not the same means put implemented.

For your home, you have the main lines (insulation, ventilation) but do not forget the insulation of the soil and the airtightness. It is the latter that will have a decisive role in the performance of the entire installation. As for the price, it depends on so many things ...

In winter, yes the sun can be enough ... when it is there! In the absence of sunshine, a passive house always needs a booster, whatever it is. At home, it is a stove-pellet boiler that does this office.
0 x
Our passive house: www.messitert241.be
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/02/11, 20:59

thank you for your answer.
It is not expensive 1300 € / m2 TVAC for a renovation that amounts to completely redo, if I understand correctly.
The price has been lowered thanks to your personal investment I imagine a lot, since poorly isolated sometimes comes back more expensive.
How did you do with the retified wood cladding that is sold as expensive as I could see and also with the more expensive triple glazing ???
OSB does not have formaldehyde, I guess?
Because sometimes wood houses have dangerous wood treatment problems:
http://la.maison.empoisonnee.pagesperso-orange.fr/
To avoid it with wood, it is not very easy ???
In any case to read you, you made good choices, not easy!
I'm appreciative !!
Saw the armada of homes poorly made and more expensive!

The link in Canada is a set of wells or boreholes for 59 pavilions, which allow to recover in winter the excess heat in summer stored in the earth from solar thermal collectors !!
For me, it's the ultimate, that I admire, because more heating, even wood, nor pollution, we find the heat of the summer available in winter to warm up!
But a Canadian well like yours, can store a lot of heat in summer to find it in winter, especially if it is a little deeper.
The surface gives the volume of earth where the heat can be stored, about one to two meters around and therefore the value of heat that can be stored, instead of leaving the heat of the summer to heat the earth to 13 ° C, without anything change it.
Even cheap solar pool collectors in summer heat 60 ° C this earth from your Canadian well and there is still a lot of heat left in winter.

In addition this system allows to heat even if the house is not as insulated as your own provided to store in, a large volume of earth.

I do not understand why it's so little known, especially for Canadian wells like yours.

In Canada they have done it optimally by stirring the minimum amount of soil by drilling.

You need 15KWh / m2x175m2 = 2625KWh, which can be stored in 260m3 about Earth (10KWh / m3 from 13 to 49 ° C).
So you can remove any wood or electric heating as well, probably, as for this site:
http://www.dlsc.ca/borehole.htm

You realized the most expensive, investment and work, and you can try, to remove any wood heating and its low pollution, especially that you do not need in summer to cool the house, unlike the PACA region in France, which nevertheless remains very far below the heat waves of the USA (100 ° F = 38 ° C at 100% humidity). I spend summers in PACA without using air conditioning !!

I think that we should be able to heat the old houses as well, with the heat of the summer, without rebuilding them to isolate them thoroughly by dividing their losses by 3 instead of 10 20 like you.
0 x
Gilbair
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Gilbair » 09/02/11, 14:06

It is true that the system looks interesting but also, at what price? In addition the system works with water and not air, requiring a circulator and regulation.

It seems much more complicated (if only by drilling!) To implement a conventional PC.

Thank you in any case for this technique that I did not know.
0 x
Our passive house: www.messitert241.be
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 09/02/11, 15:11

You can heat your Canadian well in the summer with warm air from a single solar thermal collector (glass plate and some insulation and circulating air sent to the Canadian wells unchanged).
In winter this hot air if with sun can be sent in the house as some do in passive house.
See some posts on econology for these air sensors.
Digging the Canadian well is the hardest and you did it.

T regulation on fan or circulator, even proportional it is very simple even in the form of commercial kit, is proportional to insert, as at home, and just change a little range of T with a potentiometer!
0 x