Is an inverter eco-friendly?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 17/01/11, 20:16

I confirm ! the small inverters are off line inverters: as long as there is no cut the 220v is transmitted directly without valid protection against lightning or viscous overvoltage

in the event of failure of 220, switching is done to the converter, with micro cut-off

anyway the micro cut does not interfere with the computer ... when it bothers it is more than micro cut

when we feed a computer with a generator we could think of improving security with an inverter ... well no most inverters that I had increase the problem, rather than direct power supply by a good group ... by example at home when the washing machine or the water pump started up, it caused a drop in the voltage of the generator which did not interfere with the computer at all ... but if I put an inverter, at each drop in voltage or frequency deviation , he disconnects the 220 from the group and starts to wave on his battery ... and he ends up draining his battery, and making a real cut whereas without an inverter the computer would not have cut

so to put behind a generator most small inverters are worth nothing

and as on a good 220v from the edf it is not used much, one may wonder what it is for?
0 x
stein42
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by stein42 » 17/01/11, 22:37

Well, I didn't think that this subject would fascinate the crowds so much !!

Well already I decided to put my computer equipment on sockets with switch. It is clear that the Brennenstuhl plug looks great but I find it overpriced ...

The question is whether I will keep the UPS downstream from the multiple socket to power the PC and the screen. The use of the computer is about 3-4 hours per day so the inverter will be powered on these slots. Does that make sense compared to these charge-discharge cycles?

The debate is raging in any case but I am ultimately more of Forhorse's opinion. Although living in the countryside I have never had a burnt PC or other problem.
Having said that, I understand other people's safety warnings.

For precision I have an MGE Ellipse 600 USBS
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 17/01/11, 22:42

if you only power your inverter for 3 hours a day there is a great chance that it does not charge its battery enough ... dead battery inverter useless ... so do without inverters, you can sell it to someone who really needs it, but keep it on while you still have it
0 x
stein42
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by stein42 » 17/01/11, 23:01

This is what I'm gonna do.
It is already on sale on the right corner but it does not jostle at the gate ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 18/01/11, 10:13

chatelot16 wrote:when we feed a computer with a generator we could think of improving security with an inverter ... well no most inverters that I had increase the problem, rather than direct power supply by a good group ... by example at home when the washing machine or the water pump started up, it caused a drop in the voltage of the generator which did not interfere with the computer at all ... but if I put an inverter, at each drop in voltage or frequency deviation , he disconnects the 220 from the group and starts to wave on his battery ... and he ends up draining his battery, and making a real cut whereas without an inverter the computer would not have cut
You would need to power the inverter batteries with the 12v output of the generator set. : Idea:
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 18/01/11, 12:13

citro wrote:You would need to power the inverter batteries with the 12v output of the generator set. : Idea:

Yes but no...
Already most computer inverters, even small 600VA, are 24V (easier to fit 2 small 12v batteries than one large)
Then the output stage of these inverters is not dimensioned to operate non-stop. Ventilation is not sufficient. They are designed to work the time to discharge their battery, no more, if you use it as a 24V / 230V converter it ends up burning.
0 x