Which CO detector?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Which CO detector?

by cortejuan » 26/12/10, 22:17

Hi,

Perhaps you have already dealt with the subject, but I want to buy a good CO detector because I have a wood stove in addition to my heat pump.

What is the best choice ?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

cordially
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 26/12/10, 22:35

I don't think we are qualified to sort between battery-powered toys equipped with a "Figaro" and industrial, hot-wire, calibrated, professionally verified devices against expensive subscription.

On the other hand, prevention: do not sleep in the room, ventilate and leave the room immediately if you have burning lungs or if you get a headache, maintain your chimney ...
I personally entered 2 times in CO cellars: we notice it immediately, but, if we fall asleep in front of the TV ....
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 26/12/10, 22:57

Same interest for this question, because I bought a smoke detector (sorry a "Battery toy" : Cheesy: ) which unfortunately is no longer in operation since it is triggered unexpectedly when the battery begins to show signs of weakness: in the middle of the night it is joyful !!!

Most likely that the most qualified to answer these questions are the "fire service" experts!
0 x
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 26/12/10, 23:25

Hi,

thank you for these first responses, which for the first is a bit what I feared: there must be a lot of gadgets and that is the purpose of my question.

Having been suffocated with CO a long time ago and having owed my survival and that of my wife to the untimely tripping of the circuit breaker which brought us out of torpor, I can assure that death is very soft and without the lungs burning so I make a big difference between smoke detector and CO detector which only interests me.

cordially
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/12/10, 10:09

Yes, we have to distinguish between "beasts" optical smoke detectors and devices with CO carbon monoxide detection ...

Problem: apparently consumer devices are not very reliable ... especially since they have a limited lifespan *

Read:

a) http://www.poisoncentre.be/article.php?id_article=749

(...)

* The price

In Belgium, detectors for domestic use cost between 30 to 80 euros.

Given the toxicity of CO at very low concentrations, it is necessary to plan the installation of a CO detector

- in each room where there is an appliance that uses fuel (wood, coal, gas, oil, fuel oil). It can be

* a heater
* a device for producing hot water

- and in each room crossed by a chimney flue.

This obviously increases the number of detectors to be acquired.

In addition, these detectors must be replaced regularly.

* RELIABILITY

The detector works thanks to an electrochemical cell. This cell may be sensitive to components other than CO, e.g. ex. solvents, and therefore trigger nuisance alarms.

It is essential to have the guarantee of a good functioning of the detector over time despite the presence of dust (laundry), grease (kitchen), humidity (bathroom), intense heat (near d 'a charcoal stove) or significant temperature differences (the cellar, the attic). Even if they meet the European standard, most CO detectors for household use do not meet these criteria.

The detector should be fitted with an audible alarm which alerts the consumer not only when the battery is flat but also in the event of a short circuit, fouling of the cell or if the device needs to be recalibrated or replaced.

When installing CO detectors and smoke detectors together, it is important not to confuse the alarm signal triggered by the CO detector with that triggered by the smoke detector! The measures to be taken are radically different: in the event of CO poisoning, the windows must be opened and ventilated as much as possible, in the event of a fire, the activation of the incipient fire must be avoided!

In short, remember that:

Placing a detector does not eliminate the cause of CO ...

- The detectors in no way dispense with observing the usual measures to prevent CO poisoning (correct installation, chimney and regularly maintained appliances).
- CO detectors can give a false sense of security to the people who install it.
- You should know that if the CO release is quickly very high (as is often the case in bathrooms), the victim will probably not have sufficient strength to extract himself from the atmosphere toxic ... the detector in this case should warn a third of the problem !!

These remarks do not concern detectors intended for professionals: these devices cost between 250 and 500 €. They have a limited lifespan and most need to be replaced after 2 or 3 years. For certain devices, the manufacturer provides for periodic calibration, on average twice a year.

b) Integral study of InVs: Interest of CO detectors for alerting and preventing carbon monoxide poisoning in the home

Extract from the conclusion **:

In conclusion, the study suggests a real but limited interest in the devices installed by the HLM Bretagne Sud Habitat office for the early detection of exposure to carbon monoxide. Indeed, the detectors seem from their installation to have identified risk exposures; however after 4 years of service the devices are not able (or no longer capable) to systematically detect acute exposures to carbon monoxide.

A deterioration in the performance of the devices has been implemented
evidence with a likely drift or even possible saturation of the sensors installed by the HLM Bretagne Sud Habitat office. In addition, the study suggests an impact of this deterioration on the acceptability of the detectors by the tenants. The interest of detectors for the prevention of carbon monoxide poisoning depends not only on the quality of the products sold but also on the stability of their performance. Action by the public authorities towards manufacturers could be carried out in order to identify reliable CO detectors on the market whose performance and lifespan would be correctly assessed and documented. Detectors that could be subject to periodic maintenance or recalibration could
also be identified.

Even if reliable detectors are identified, it should be ensured that the alarms are properly understood.
disseminated especially for populations who have not made the choice to equip themselves. The maintenance of the heating devices could be associated with a possible maintenance of the CO detectors; the annual maintenance visit would then familiarize tenants with this new security equipment.

c) CFUs that I choose (and probably others) regularly test CO detectors (I found references to tests done in 1999 and 2007 at least but without having detailed results) and the results are in the majority very poor ***

* + ** + *** = So the best may not be to "protect" yourself behind a CO sensor of dubious reliability (unless you want to invest more than 200 € + regular calibration every 6 months? ) but be careful not to produce this gas ... that is to say check your heating appliances, do not use outdated appliances, sweep regularly, use quality firewood ... etc etc ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 27/12/10, 10:53

Thank you Christophe for developing my intervention.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 27/12/10, 11:06

Hello,

what I feared is confirmed, thank you to Christophe for this super detailed analysis and to elephant which goes in the same direction.

cordially
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 27/12/10, 13:44

I once saw in the super market around the corner (lecl ...) CO detector at 11euro

tried, it works very well ... I take a large bucket with lid, I put the detector inside, and send a little exhaust gas from the generator: it takes very little to make it ring ... more dose is low the slower the detection ... so it works when it's new

problem, it eats the 9v battery at full speed and gives the alarm anytime in the middle of the night due to low battery ... the beep beep in case of low battery is different from the real alarm, but it is not not even clearly marked on the instructions, and above all it is not marked at all on the device

considering the low price I bought several to experience, but I only consider it usable by replacing the battery with a mains supply and battery

battery and mains because do not forget that the big risk of CO can be a wood heating the day when there is more electricity to operate a ventilation

with this kind of detector at very low prices it avoids asking questions about the lifespan of the sensor

a good, durable CO detector should not only be an alarm detector, but also a measured CO level indicator, so that you can easily check it, seeing if the number indicated moves when you send it a little gas. exhaust for example

especially not to confuse detector of co and smoke detector ... alas for certain mark the detectors its identical ... nothing clear is marked on the apparatus, it is necessary to unhook from the wall and read the label behind. .. if it is not off ...
0 x