Lateral infiltration or capillary lift?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
spiritdaemon
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by spiritdaemon » 17/12/10, 14:20

Finally I bought a humidity detector, it rings all over the bottom of the walls, they are only at 9d.
I think it must certainly be some rising damp somewhere (can be combined with side seepage).
Has anyone here ever used aquaplan or rubson injection?
Should I call a pro or would I do it myself?

Thank you
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 17/12/10, 15:17

On your facade photos, we can guess the cause of your humidity in this house with thin walls like cigarette leaves, to the point that we wonder if you have thermal insulation ???? !!
Starting from the top left of the left garage door, you have a 20 to 25cm wide flat bed that goes up just under the roof for a weird function ????????? of the duct or ventilation type which near the roof shows excess humidity in the wall originating from this part of the roof to spread over the entire wall where you have humidity.
In your place I would have found a ladder and I would have looked at this junction on the roof which must have a big defect and leak like a colander at home !!
To see your facade, I pity you, because you are spending a big bill on heating and if you have a little insulation, this humidity destroys it and in the long term you will have major repairs necessary on the whole building !!!.
Water comes out 5cm from the front under the roof
The roof should protrude much more in front of the facade.

Your humidity does not have much of an upward trend in my opinion from seeing your photos !!
It comes down from above and wets everything, and your neighbor upstairs had to hide with double walls or insulation probably this horror.

Finally compress your photos unnecessarily by 3,6MB by a factor of more than 10 so that they are loaded faster and more viewed, with free Irfanview for example.
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 17/12/10, 15:33

In my opinion the water enters through the cracks visible around the windows. The spots match.

This is the first thing to look at.
0 x
Save a tree, eat a beaver.
It is no use to succeed in life, what it takes is to miss his death.
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 17/12/10, 17:43

The water seems to flow from above the sealed cracks under the windows and a hole or crack in the roof, unclogged is always much more catastrophic than a vertical crack, more clogged, and in the photo we see plenty of such drips starting from the roof and coming out of the wall.
On the roof over the crack at the level of this pipe coming from the garage, almost one m3 per year per m2 of roof falls above the almost certain leak in the roof at the level of this pipe with dubious installation !!

So it is crucial to check the roof very very carefully, because even a barely visible 0,5mm slit lets in a huge amount of water which wets everything, as I was able to verify on my roof on a broken tile but invisible (crack of less than 0,1mm very very difficult to detect !!)

If we make an error on the cause, we spend money, without solving the problem, and I have already seen this type of error several times in co-ownership, totally useless work to repair a leak, like plugging 10m of crack while it was a leaky balcony like a colander !!

So beware of affirmations and check each one carefully. :
water the roof and see the flood by locating the place, to see on the photo the weak point is the connection to the roof of this flat pipe. !!
0 x
spiritdaemon
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by spiritdaemon » 17/12/10, 18:56

It is not a pipe but a "connection" between the building and an annex certainly built afterwards.
Behind a fireplace which was knocked down and covered with a tile (recently).

The wall is 38 cm thick, on photo, it may not be ideal to see it, it is indeed full and without thermal insulation (like old-fashioned what)

At the beginning of the week, I rent a ladder and I will see it, to seal, opening with the disceuse and seal with putty?
We intend to slate this facade, the condominium slows everything down :x

thanks.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 17/12/10, 23:36

It is not a pipe but a "connection" between the building and an annex certainly built afterwards.
Behind a fireplace which was knocked down and covered with a tile (recently).

So junction between two different roofs, and a chimney blocked by connected tiles.
Therefore very favorable to leaks as a result of poorly made or insufficient connections or deformation of the supports.
Before acting and
seal, open with the disceuse and seal with mastic

take or even waste time looking for the real leak, looking, understanding and checking that it is leaking by spraying it with water to be sure of the leakage mechanism that is not always obvious, and avoid making unnecessary inefficient repairs, which is very easy and customary, even with pros !!
Try from the inside if possible to see the leak also on its path.
Maybe you have to take the position of a lot of tiles that do not overlap enough (errors in poses), or look for broken tiles ??
Look at the cracks in the facade and see by hosing if the water does not get in too.
In addition, it would be useful to insulate this facade from the outside before laying a covering.
0 x

Back to "Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ..."