Catalyst for stove or wood boiler

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Christophe

Catalyst for stove or wood boiler

by Christophe » 24/04/07, 18:25

I read about this forum that some people knew quite well the catalysis system (therefore catalysts) for stoves or wood fireplaces.

Is it possible to have a little more information from the connoisseurs of such systems? Technology? Use? Advantages disadvantages? Possibly a brand and a price order?

Thank you :)
Last edited by Christophe the 12 / 11 / 10, 19: 11, 1 edited once.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 25/04/07, 13:12

:?: Quesako :?:

The catalyst, it catalyzes what ... Wood ???

Unless it catalyzes wood combustion gases, like a gasifier ... maybe ???

I can't see very well ...

What is catalysis ??? :?:
0 x
momotopo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by momotopo » 25/04/07, 21:39

It's just like on cars. The catalysts are installed at the outlet of the hearth in order to burn the unburnt products that combustion generates.

The interest of catalysis is to carry out a catalytic oxidation (combustion) at a relatively low temperature (about 250 degrees).

In the 80s, this equipment was compulsory on stoves sold in the United States.

At the time, I installed Cortec vacuum solar collectors from Corning and Corning made catalysts.

Today, ??

momotopo
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/04/07, 10:49

citro wrote::?: Quesako :?:

The catalyst, it catalyzes what ... Wood ???

No, the carbon particles and dust contained in the fumes ... the unburnt what ...

citro wrote:Unless it catalyzes wood combustion gases, like a gasifier ... maybe ???

Are there any catches in the gazos? Is that so? Are you sure about your info?

citro wrote:What is catalysis ??? :?:

Good question ... personally I have not always the precise answer on the functioning (at the molecular level) of the catalysts since they never intervene directly in the chemical reaction, it is their simple presence which accelerates or allows the reactions. It's a bit of magic after all ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/04/07, 10:50

momotopo wrote:At the time, I installed Cortec vacuum solar collectors from Corning and Corning made catalysts.

Ah a brand, thanks for the info ... So it was in US import?
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 26/04/07, 13:20

Christophe wrote:
citro wrote:Unless it catalyzes wood combustion gases, like a gasifier ... maybe ???

Are there any catches in the gazos? Is that so? Are you sure about your info?

It's not an info, it's a question ...

Gazos, I would like to know how it works ... I have already seen some, but what do they have in their stomachs ... :?:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/05/07, 13:07

citro wrote:Gazos, I would like to know how it works ... I have already seen some, but what do they have in their stomachs ... :?:

Well there is a page above on the site:

Gasifier and gasification of wood

It is not very detailed technologically but the links on the page are a little more ...
0 x
momotopo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by momotopo » 11/05/07, 22:32

Christophe wrote:
momotopo wrote:At the time, I installed Cortec vacuum solar collectors from Corning and Corning made catalysts.

Ah a brand, thanks for the info ... So it was in US import?

Corning is American but the sensors of the time were manufactured in the North of France, in Aniche exactly by the company Sicover, a subsidiary of Corning.

Unless I am mistaken, this type of sensor was bought by Giordano. after stopping the production by corning.

Below, I found a list of sensor manufacturers
http://www.swissolar.ch/index.php?id=201&L=1&type=98
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/11/10, 15:59

without catalyst a combustible gas only burns if there is the right proportion of air gas and if it is not too diluted in smoke

alas a wood fire is capable of letting heaps of gas and combustible vapor leave in the smoke

a good catalyst is capable of causing the combustion of a small quantity of gas with a small proportion of oxygen even diluted in a lot of smoke

an example of an older catalyst than the catalytic converter of car: gas radiator with catalysis: a venturi sends the air gas mixture in a kind of brick perforated with a very small hole: it is brick reddens without any visible flame: it burns the surface of this catalyst, combustion much more complete than any butane flame burner: and suddenly it can be used indoors without chimney

problem of the catalyst, the slightest presence of sulfur (or other pollutant that I do not know) poisons the catalyst and it does not work anymore ... it could be the problem with wood, it works when it is new and the catalyst is poisoned and no longer useful
0 x

Back to "Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ..."