Biomass: which crops for tomorrow? (Valbiom)

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Christophe

Biomass: which crops for tomorrow? (Valbiom)

by Christophe » 08/11/10, 12:03

New cultures: What opportunities? Carbon neutral event

Environmental problems, dwindling petroleum resources and the crisis in the agricultural sector are pushing us to find alternatives to our production and consumption patterns.

Biomass can advantageously replace fossil resources, both energy and non-energy.

Biomass therefore offers new perspectives for the agricultural world, by creating local jobs which cannot be relocated and by participating in our energy independence. Several studies show that biomass will play a major role in the years to come.

The objective of this day is to provide an overview of
multiple perspectives offered by biomass!

Program and registration procedures: https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... YbnWGI.pdf

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - Espace Senghor de Gembloux

Madame, Monsieur,

The non-profit organization ValBiom is pleased to invite you to its 7th Biomass Meetings.

Currently, environmental problems, the reduction of petroleum resources and the crisis in the agricultural sector are pushing us to find alternatives to our production and consumption methods.

Biomass can advantageously replace fossil resources, both in terms of energy and
Non-energy.

Biomass therefore offers new perspectives for the agricultural world, by creating local jobs which cannot be relocated and by participating in our energy independence.

The objective of this day is therefore to provide an overview of the multiple perspectives that biomass offers!

Program and registration procedures: https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... YbnWGI.pdf

We offer you the opportunity to register until Friday, November 12.

Online registration form: http://www.valbiom.be/index.php?url=fr/inscription/

Do not hesitate to contact me for more details. The deadlines are very short, do not delay to register.

Please distribute this announcement as widely as possible. Thanks for your help.

We look forward to meeting you this Wednesday, November 17.

Sincerely,

Valérie THIELS
Communication Officer ValBiom

ps: I attended 2 of these days (2007 on fast growing plants like miscanthus and 2009 on 2nd generation biofuel of ligno cellulosic type, for the 2 I made subjects: https://www.econologie.com/forums/search.php ), it's really well organized but this year I won't be able to go.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/11/10, 14:12

We could recover all the wood and plants that are rotting in the forests, recycling centers and gardens, or even burned by all throughout France and which pollutes all of France with noxious smoke!

I am frightened by the quantity of plants thus lost and never recovered to heat !!
And before cultivating, reducing crops for food, we must ensure good recovery of all these plants, even small wood which can be put in pellets or chips.

I have my garage full of such wood from my garden to burn and it overflows at the recycling center that burns and pollutes !!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/10, 14:38

Well, a lot of municipal green waste is used as compost, so all is not lost. I am not sure that removing all (small) dead wood from forests is interesting for the quality of humus ... and therefore the growth of the future forest ...

Now it is certain that there are a lot of losses: out of 100 m3 cut in the forest, about 60 m3 are left on site, it is quite enormous but who wants to heat with twigs or twigs 1 cm thick?

Here is the average balance of wood material for solid furniture, frame, construction, paneling, floors ... etc etc:

From this doc (from the day 2007 when I was): https://www.econologie.com/la-filliere-b ... -3742.html

It should therefore be read that in the end on 100m3, only 2 to 18m3 of (solid) wood is valued in the final product.

But beware, that doesn't mean that the rest is lost: the 20m² of sawmill waste is not lost. They are valued in pellets or agglomerated panels ... Likewise, I think that a large part of the 60m² is valued in firewood ...

For example: we do nothing as a wooden material with a branch of 20 cm in diameter but it is interesting for heating ...

For other doc of the Valbiom 2007 day, on wood balance sheets, dig here:
https://www.econologie.com/chauffage-au- ... -3740.html

ps: here is the subject of the day of 2009 https://www.econologie.com/forums/6ieme-rb-b ... t8431.html
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 08/11/10, 14:54

My old man was working in the forest ... the residue from the cuttings was at the end of his career put in mash and crushed by a machine. Everything stayed on site to return to future plantations ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/10, 14:59

Yes and here it is even mandatory to clean the plot after the baring ...

Often, when there is no shredder, it is burned on site, but the best is still to make forest chips that are valued ... but you must have the equipment and access.

I saw some a few months ago live on the 4 bands for pruning work on the sides: the crusher directly filled a dump truck.
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 08/11/10, 16:45

Christophe wrote:It should therefore be read that in the end on 100m3, only 2 to 18m3 of (solid) wood is valued in the final product.

But beware, that doesn't mean that the rest is lost: the 20m² of sawmill waste is not lost. They are valued in pellets or agglomerated panels ... Likewise, I think that a large part of the 60m² is valued in firewood ...

I didn't have the figures as precise, but that corresponds to my experience with the woods.

And I think that if sawdust is increasingly used, this is not at all the case of the 60% thrown into the woods.

And if we add the green waste from the house and gardens, we must be in surplus in France, to be validated.
0 x
See you soon !
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/11/10, 17:06

we must be in surplus in France,

At 2 home and around, 900Km away, it's all validated, to see what is thrown and burned by all, which pollutes with lots of acre smoke !!
0 x