Electric valve (solenoid valve) 110V AC used in 12 V DC

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

Electric valve (solenoid valve) 110V AC used in 12 V DC

by Other » 04/03/06, 01:17

Hello,
To answer the questions that come up in the pantone subject
how to use a valve or a relay which works on the current of the sector 110 vots or 220 volts alternating in 12 volts DC.

If we consider the windings they are very different in AC and DC.
What must be remembered is the ampere turns which activate - which generates the magnetic force - the valve or the relay
In alternative mounting (AC) the number of turns is relatively low as well as the resistance of the wire, it is the impedance which determines the current.
In direct current (DC) the number of turns is high and the resistance of the coil too.

Convenient way to use an AC coil on DC
initially the coil which is used in AC must be used on a voltage of 10 times higher, to limit the resistance in series

1- measure the amperage drawn by the coil in AC use under its normal voltage
2- measure its resistance
3- calculate the resistance necessary to put in series
voltage dc / amperage measured in AC = total resistance
resistance to be connected in series = total resistance - resistance of the coil.
In the end it is necessary that the amperage which crosses the coil is always the same as well in AC as in DC. In practice it is preferable to put a value of 10 to 20% less on the resistance, the coil supports a light additional current, this makes it possible to activate the relay or the valve.
A solenoid that works well on 220 volts AC, if the winding resistance is not too high, may well work on 12 volts from a battery without any resistance.

This is the old method I used often, but now everything is easy it sells for a $ 20 50 watt inverters which provide ample current for several valves.

Andre
0 x
henri
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by henri » 05/03/06, 08:35

hello Andre
If I understand your penultimate paragraph, all the solenoid valves of our European washing machines can operate indifferently at 220 and 12v.
0 x
MichelM
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by MichelM » 05/03/06, 10:58

Hello
We must make the measurements that André indicates. Because depending on the power, force, solenoid valve or mechanism its resistance will be different. We cannot necessarily generalize. That said with experience we can perhaps say that the electro washing machine (almost all similar and of the same strength) can be used directly. But it is better to be sure by a measurement and a test ...
Michel
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"