warm cold

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
orbs
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

warm cold

by orbs » 10/02/06, 14:47

Hello
it seems to me to have read that 2 significantly different bodies of T ° could generate electric current. is right? any links?
please
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/02/06, 15:07

Indeed, it is the inverted Peltier effect.

Type it in google or "Calopile".

Unfortunately the yields are very low (5 to 10%) and the applications therefore very specific.

I think the Minto wheel is much more promising (see topic on forum )
Last edited by Christophe the 10 / 02 / 06, 15: 29, 1 edited once.
0 x
The Passing

by The Passing » 10/02/06, 15:09

This property is used in thermocouples to measure a temperature for example. See the full article in Wikipedia here.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/02/06, 15:28

:)

Oops it's Peltier not Pelletier : Oops:
0 x
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher

by PITMIX » 10/02/06, 21:19

Hello
Ah well I did not know that the effect was reversible. I have a Peltier effect heatsink. It needs a large power supply to create a difference of 65 ° C between the two faces.
So if I heat it to 65 ° C on one side it will produce juice?
And compared to a photovoltaic sensor, how much worse is it? (% Tage)
Too bad it is not terrible because otherwise we could recover losses by Joule effect on all kinds of machines.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/02/06, 21:37

Normally yes it should come out of the juice ... but it depends on the T ° and materials used ... but test to see if you see a beginning of effect ...

Otherwise the comparison with photovoltaics is not wise since you do not start from the same source ...

Otherwise the calopile has an average yield of around 10% but it depends bcp on the delta of T ° ... (the 15% given on the following page are in ideal conditions)

http://calopile.free.fr/caracteristiques.html

It is especially interesting (as you say) to optimize heat losses a little ... provided, of course, that you find a "cold" source
0 x
The Passing

by The Passing » 10/02/06, 22:05

It reassures when we know that they send space probes containing plutonium on a launcher, they remain rather discreet on this subject:

[...] This is notably the case with the Voyager probe, launched in 1977, in which the heat flux established between fissile PuO2 (PuO2 is radioactive and decays, so it is a source of heat) and the external environment passes through a thermoelectric conversion system based on SiGe (silicon and germanium alloy), allowing the supply of the probe with electricity (indeed, space probes going beyond Mars cannot be supplied by solar panels, the solar flux being much too weak). See article Radioisotope thermoelectric generator. [...]

Link: here.

Diagram of the "calopile" on board the space probe:

0 x
aidiv
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by aidiv » 10/02/06, 22:06

hello, the reverse pellet effect is called the seebeck effect (name of the inventor)
I did the test with hot water coming out of the tap on one side and an iron plate for the cold part on the other, I don't know how much it produced, but I know it was not a lot

if not a link for seebeck generator and their price
http://www.hi-z.com
0 x
The Passing

by The Passing » 10/02/06, 22:19

aidiv wrote:hello, the reverse pellet effect is called the seebeck effect (name of the inventor)
I did the test with hot water coming out of the tap on one side and an iron plate for the cold part on the other, I don't know how much it produced, but I know it was not a lot

if not a link for seebeck generator and their price
http://www.hi-z.com

Interesting, here are concrete applications at least, thank you !!

30 watts already allows you to do something, and the price remains correct.

The modules look quite "rustic" in design, and must also be robust and stable over time.
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 11/02/06, 23:47

My little Peltier heatsink on the same face. I'll have to try. :D .
A probing iron on one side and an ice cube on the other.
The Stirling engine works with hot cold and produces mechanical energy and the seebeck module produces electrical energy.
0 x