Valves and Hydrogen

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/05/04, 11:39

Study against "flashback" on the valves due to too high a rate of combustion of hydrogen (10 x that of gasoline / air)

http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~caburt/research/h...ogen/valve.html
0 x
desmo
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by desmo » 17/06/04, 16:01

Hello,
I found the Valves and Hydrogen study interesting, but it immediately made me think of an engine architecture that got rid of this problem.
In this case the rotary engine (Wankel patent) which uses radial or axial lights for admission.
This application has also been found for several years by Mazda engineers, who continue (tirelessly) to develop the rotary engine and who presented at the last Geneva show a copy of their new model: the Mazda RX-8 equipped for run on hydrogen.
The modifications to the vehicle seemed fairly minor, at least compared to a fuel cell vehicle. The most visible part is the addition to the trunk of a carbon fiber tank.
The efficiency of such an assembly is certainly lower than the fuel cell technology, but it seemed interesting to me by the use of already industrialized components and the possible dual-fuel use as it exists in LPG vehicles.
Technical data (from memory):
Petrol engine power: 240 CV
"" hydrogen: 90 CV
Autonomy model H: 200 to 300 km
Did you know this concept car? and think it’s interesting.
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 18/06/04, 00:51

Yes it is true that a Wankel type device could solve the problem.

Especially since this architecture has largely proven itself.
Marketed in the 60s, and several prototypes at the 24h of Le Mans ...
0 x
Misterloxo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Misterloxo » 19/06/04, 21:56

Here is a link with a description of the RX-8

<a href='http://www.caradisiac.com/php/essai_tun/ess_nou/nouv118/mg_4234_mazda_rx8.php' target='_blank'>http://www.caradisiac.com/php/essai_tun/es...4_mazda_rx8.php</a>
0 x
Learning disobedience is a long process. It takes a lifetime to reach perfection. "Maurice Rajsfus
To think is to say no. "Alain, philosopher
MobyleX
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by MobyleX » 08/12/04, 13:36

Something I don't get: during the ignition of the fuel (petrol or hydrogen) the valves are closed !! So combustion can't spread to the other side of the valve, right? Even if the combustion of hydrogen was 1000 times faster than that of gasoline, it would not occur until the spark in all cases, ie closed valves?
If you could help me, it would be nice because I would like to make an assembly to run a hydrogen engine, and not make it freak out when testing !!
0 x
Dream is real freedom, it is the hope, nobody can stop you.