A solar panel to power USB device?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Youry
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

A solar panel to power USB device?

by Youry » 22/12/09, 12:43

Hello,
Here is my computer with a tendency to overheat, so I found at Logitech a fan, which is powered by USB, the data I found are these: 5V at 200mA (The article)
:?:My question: would it be possible to power this device thanks to this solar panel? Assuming that the battery has recharged during the day about 8-9 hours. How long will the battery take to drain?
Thank you all for helping me to see a little more clearly in these somewhat fuzzy notions for me.
A+
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 22/12/09, 13:59

small table corner calculation:
first the maximum output power of the solar power supply is greater than the consumption of the fan so it's OK
the voltages and connections are OK (5V USB)
autonomy: there, it's harder: you have to estimate the power available with the panel. the average power of the panel over 10h seems to be around 0.7W since they announce 10 to 14h for a total recharge of the battery of 1400mAh and 3.7V, which is consistent with its size (about 45cm2)
the battery is 3.7V with 1400mAh of capacity or 5.18Wh of onboard energy. It therefore takes about 7W for 10 hours to recharge it (7Wh x charge / discharge efficiency of 75%)

if you only receive 8 hours of average sunshine, you will partially recharge the battery or about 0.7x8x0.75 = 4.2Wh of usable energy
your fan consuming about 5x0.2 = 1W, you could run it about 4h.

all this is a big ladle but the orders of magnitude are there.
0 x
Click my signature
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 22/12/09, 18:09

Youri, to whom we extend a cordial welcome, wrote:

my computer tends to overheat

Regardless of ventilation, several measures are required:

- reduction in the number of programs launched on ignition (see msconfig.exe)
- hard drive cleaning and defragmentation
- if it is a fixed: physical cleaning of the filters fans, of the µprocessor radiator
- verification of the presence or not of programs that are useless like additional toolbars in your internet browser.

In short, there is no point in ventilating a "badly managed" computer as long as the load on the machine is not lightened, which in any case consumes too much.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 22/12/09, 18:11

Yeah finally if we come to that, we must also see which processor we are talking about.
Because between a Pentium D that turns the shoots and a Core at full load (for example) the one that heats the most is not necessarily the one we think. : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/12/09, 18:35

No need to make such a complicated calculation!

By taking the data from the technical sheet: https://www.econologie.com/shop/solaire-photovoltaique-c-35 , in the best case the internal battery of the solar charger gives 1400mAh ...

So a fan consuming 200 mA will hold 1400/200 = 7 h.

But it is in the case where one starts from an internal battery charged to the maximum, that is to say that it is not live ....

battery charge time (full charge): solar energy: 10-14h

And 10 to 14h of full sun it is not done in 1 day ... especially not at this time!

So if you want to power your fan continuously, you will need something more powerful ...
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 22/12/09, 19:07

Hello,

To reframe the subject before it goes into a lollipop =>

A PV panel only comes out on average 3 times its peak power per 24h

And these days, it is rather less!
When I see the 10 hours of sunshine a day it makes me laugh!

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/12/09, 19:11

Well a beautiful summer day we can have 10h of beautiful sun :)

At the moment if we have 1 hour it's "good"! : Cheesy:
0 x
Youry
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Youry » 22/12/09, 22:55

Thank you very much for your precise answers.
> elephant: thank you for your advice, but I have already applied them, but being focused on graphics (high demand in calculations, graphics card for display), my computer (a laptop) tends to heat up. My fan will in fact only be used in the calculation / rendering phases, this as an extra.

Otherwise someone here has already used this solar panel? Is it of good quality? Haven't had any big problems? Thanks again. :D
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 23/12/09, 09:58

Hello,
A little trick, which can be used, put two rulers, cleats on each side so that the space to release the hot air is two or three centimeters.
a + claude
0 x