12V LED bulb and "electronic" transformer

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
herbert_leonard
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by herbert_leonard » 27/11/09, 00:29

Hi all and thank you for all the answers!

I will see if the transformer bits enter the luminaire housing.
So I have to modify the input to connect to the ceiling wires, and that's it?
A+

Herb
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/11/09, 08:31

Another packaging found: that of a 24 LED block for "ultra-flat spotlights" (embedded in shelves), with G4 socket.

Original, mounted in 20 W halogens (mini-bulbs).

Well, the replacement LEDs (hard to find by the way) this time are well labeled: 12 V AC. By the way, for those who are interested, they are "weak" (compared to 20 W halogen) but you can forget them without srcupules (something like 1,2 W each).

So I confirm my conclusion: I was lucky. But maybe not that much: the LEDs intended to replace the different kinds of halogens seem intended for 12 V AC ... without this being specified in general (except therefore the "50 Hz" which puts the chip ear). Which would be logical after all, since these are replacement bulbs.

And so probably that the diodes are inside ???
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/11/09, 08:46

After thinking (long, I mean slow!), We're a bit stupid, right?

On all kinds of "halogen" style bulbs, the pins are not differentiated. So there CANNOT be + and -. So they MUST accept the + and the - on each pin indifferently ...

Only the "oscillations" of the alternative could put them in difficulty ...

I had acquired "LED ramps" from the Swedish blue and yellow a few years ago ... It was a kit. And there, the connectors were designed so that you couldn't reverse ... So there we were in DC.

In short, I come to the (hasty?) Conclusion that when it comes to LEDs, there are:

- those who "manufacture" lighting from simple LEDs (which are sold), and there, they have the problem of polarity, of having a real DC transformer, or diodes / capacitors ...

- LED bulbs for replacing halogen bulbs, which, a priori, seem to me intended for the 12 V AC of "ordinary" transformers (called "choppers"). To see if they withstand 12 V DC without further ado, as one might think a priori, to qualify them as universal? So I'm going to plug one into a car battery, answer in 100 hours ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/11/09, 09:00

Did67 wrote:After thinking (long, I mean slow!), We're a bit stupid, right?

On all kinds of "halogen" style bulbs, the pins are not differentiated. So there CANNOT be + and -. So they MUST accept the + and the - on each pin indifferently ...

No we are not so stupid: above I said that ALL were in AC but not necessarily DC even if it "works" in DC. I tested a specific AC which worked in DC but reduced lighting (-50% at least) compared to the AC.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/11/09, 11:35

Christophe wrote:
No we are not so stupid:.

1) Yes, I was speaking for myself! I was.

2) I hadn't realized that it was physically impossible for these bulbs to be in DC as the pins were not differentiated. Hence this cry from the heart!

3) This therefore completed, from another angle, your remark that those sold on econology were in AC ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/11/09, 11:39

3) No they are all AC AND DC with equivalent performance in the 2 voltages.
0 x