How to protect a tank from light and frost

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
treker
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

How to protect a tank from light and frost

by treker » 27/08/09, 16:13

Hello everyone,

new kid among you I introduce myself. I am from the Paris region, but in the countryside. a large garden of 1000m² and a graaaaande roof not exploited for the recovery of rainwater. 8)

So my very first site will be you can imagine the recovery of rainwater that I already do on my garden shed with 2 green plastic tanks (LM) of 300 liters.
Here we go at top speed because I was able to buy 4 white plastic tanks (like many) at low prices. Nevertheless I must protect them from the phenomenon of photosynthesis and then from frost. For that your experience will be very useful to me .... Can we paint the tanks in black ?? surrounding them with a black film or green tarp will also work?

Ultimately if I create a kind of small / local lean-to on the side of the house with concrete blocks and tiles on top, will it be enough to put them out of light? What about frost protection ?? Can one use an insulator of the type of those used in under roof slopes ?? Rockwool??...

Thank you for your answers,
trekker
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 27/08/09, 19:58

Hello treker,
People often mistakenly think that insulation will protect a water pipe or tank from freezing.
To avoid freezing, you must either bury or heat, or put an antifreeze, such as a whysky or vodka overstock : Cheesy:
The second answer falls automatically; as it must be buried, more light.
In addition, a buried tank will not develop as quickly as the ugly bacteria (+ - 14 ° c) :D
Here it is
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
treker
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by treker » 28/08/09, 10:50

Damned vodka is for my excluded use : Cheesy:

Well more seriously, burying it cannot be done with these tanks, they are not intended for that if I am not mistaken. The frame is not intended to withstand the pressures of the earth .. in short, the choice, it must remain in the air ... :D
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 28/08/09, 14:17

For the gel, my parents had fiber cement tanks outside. On the surface, my father had put empty plastic bottles (like chemical bottles), lightly weighted (to float at half height).
When it was freezing, the pressure was on the bottles
The tanks are still there!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 28/08/09, 14:21

treker wrote:Damned vodka is for my excluded use : Cheesy:

The frame is not intended to withstand the pressures of the earth .. in short, the choice, it must remain in the air ... :D

What if you drill bigger and concrete around?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 28/08/09, 14:22

For the IBC containers It is absolutely necessary to protect them from the sun and the cold, it cooks the plastic and they end up degrading and piercing. A friend had surrounded them with brande it protected them well (5 years and they are like new .. .For jelly, weighted plastic bottles or half-immersed polystyrene ca does it for surface jelly ... If the cubis freezes in a block ... It's dead ...
0 x
treker
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by treker » 28/08/09, 15:16

I think in fact also surround them with for example multi-layer insulation. Then eventually enclose them in masonry type shelter leaning against a wall. I will double the rock wool wall and suddenly it should be good, typical insulation of a house, but without heating :)

What do you think??
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 28/08/09, 15:23

Macro wrote:For the IBC containers It is absolutely necessary to protect them from the sun and the cold, it cooks the plastic and they end up degrading and piercing. A friend had surrounded them with brande it protected them well (5 years and they are like new .. .For jelly, weighted plastic bottles or half-immersed polystyrene ca does it for surface jelly ... If the cubis freezes in a block ... It's dead ...

we agree: when winter was going to be too harsh (once every 10 years), we drained.
0 x
treker
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by treker » 28/08/09, 15:55

elephant wrote:
What if you drill bigger and concrete around?

What do you mean?? Already 2m3 just for the toilets then 2m3 for the garden it should not be bad right ??
indeed the idea of ​​making a kind of room all around seems to me judicious. small technical room attached to the house with rock wool .. I'll think about it ...
0 x